GDT: DevIls vs. Blackhawks, 1/14/19, 7:00pm

mfitz804

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I really hope he's getting on a roll now and will be more consistent in the back half of this year, but last game when he scored I was thinking it was probably 9 or 10 goals for him, and I saw it was only 4 lol.  Really couldn't believe he had that few, and it just shows how bad he really was struggling in the early part of this season.  I get that expectations were going to be high because of his recent contract, but man, 4 goals through half a season is awful no matter how you slice it. 

I do like the way he's playing lately though.  Any update on his injury from last night?

He has five goals on the season BTW.  2 G and 6 A in his last 10 GP.  He's actually now just two assists shy of his total for all of last year (11 this season, 13 last year).

He shot 11.2% on 170 shots for 2017-18, and he's at 4.6% on 109 shots for this season (his shots per game average is actually a tick higher this season...2.24 SPG last year, 2.42 SPG this year...but he's also playing an extra minute per game over last year).  If he were shooting the same 11.2% this year, he'd have 12 G right now. 

Not trying to butter up his season...he's been maddening on a number of occasions this season, and even yesterday he had at least one prime chance where he just whiffed...and sometimes he plays like 195 lbs of brain damage on skates.  But he's probably been a little better than we think.  Some lousy luck has factored in...not too many forwards are held to that low of a shooting%...well outside the norm.  Even 8% shooting would put him at around 9 goals...not great off a 19-goal season, but that would look a lot better than 5.

Just now, Nicomo said:

It’s not surprising his shooting % is so low. So many of his shots are him skating the puck in and taking a weak wrister right at the goalie from just past the blue line. 

Definitely not trying to imply that it's ALL bad luck...like I said, not trying to make his overall season look too much better than it's "felt".  Prior to this 10-game offensive surge, I had him as the most disappointing Devil of the season.

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah, one of those games where it's coming very easily and maybe you're starting to think about winning 10-1 and players are thinking about fattening up...and then the other team (which does still have some talent and guys who can beat you) wakes up a little and makes it more of a game than it really should have been (though it was never really close...Devils still led by 3 or more until late).  I'm sure Mac will be better in the long run for having a game like last night's.  My daughter had homework to do, so we left at 7-4 with about 4 minutes left (didn't want her to go to bed TOO too late), and when I checked out the final box, I just kind of chuckled...geez, TWO more goals in the game?!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I don't blame him for most of the goals last night. Kane did Kane things.

nah - he really wasn't very good.

the seabrook goal is a tough save to make but it was blackwood's turnover that led to it.

the kane one timer he got over and just didn't make the save.

the saad shortsider was not covering the post.

and the one that went through his arm because he missed it was also not great.

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

4 years, $11m doesn’t exactly raise my expectations for him. But coming off a 19 goal season, I definitely thought that he would be better. There was a point earlier in the year where he should have been healthy scratched, if we had anyone to put in his place. 

Re: the bolded, for sure.   I didn't realize he was making less than 3M a year, I guess that's a pretty damn good price given he almost reached 20 goals last year, but still makes this season a disappointment, at least so far.

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Fair to say that since we scored 8 in this game that we wont score a godamn goal against Colombus

Or because mfitz's streak of doing that thing where we post the next GDT immediately after the previous game lasted all of 1 game. 😛

Edited by NJDfan1711

49 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Fair to say that since we scored 8 in this game that we wont score a godamn goal against Colombus

The ol' "Save some for the next game" scenario. 

I'd just settle for the Devils not looking completely hapless tonight, like they always seem to against the Torontos and the Tampa Bays.  They've won 6 out of 10...there's been some ugly losses in there, and as much as I know it's a serious longshot, I'd like to see them at least get to the point where we can say "Well maaaaaaaybe with some breaks they can somehow squeak in..."  I'm just not the kind of fan that wants to see a team just semi-purposely tank (though if that happens naturally, so be it).