GDT: Devils at Blue Jackets, 1/15/19 7:00 pm

mfitz804

Was glad to finally see Hynes hold Severson accountable and glue his ass to the bench in the second after his stupid penalty.

The whole defense is soft and got man-handled. Pathetic. Could not make a crisp pass out of the zone all night.

Was not a fan of Palms with Zajac and Coleman.

Coleman looked good, enjoy watching his game this season.

Man, rough game for KK.  Didn't watch but just checked the highlights.. some tough breakdowns in front of KK but Christ can he make a big save once in a while?

Appeared off his angle on #1.  #2 was a tough break.  #3 too deep in his crease.  #4 lol make a save.

7 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Are you blocked yet? Lol

Still not!

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Man, rough game for KK.  Didn't watch but just checked the highlights.. some tough breakdowns in front of KK but Christ can he make a big save once in a while?

Appeared off his angle on #1.  #2 was a tough break.  #3 too deep in his crease.  #4 lol make a save.

fixed that for you

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Henry Killinger said:

Was glad to finally see Hynes hold Severson accountable and glue his ass to the bench in the second after his stupid penalty.

The whole defense is soft and got man-handled. Pathetic. Could not make a crisp pass out of the zone all night.

Was not a fan of Palms with Zajac and Coleman.

Coleman looked good, enjoy watching his game this season.

So unless the ref told him to shut his mouth, I really think he was being too sensitive when he tagged Sevs for the unsportsmanlike. Either way, if Hynes had any clue, he'd split up Butcher and Vats, cause they have been abysmal together, and he'd roll out some press box time throughout the defense. Not all at the same time, of course, but then again could it get much worse back there?

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

So unless the ref told him to shut his mouth, I really think he was being too sensitive when he tagged Sevs for the unsportsmanlike. Either way, if Hynes had any clue, he'd split up Butcher and Vats, cause they have been abysmal together, and he'd roll out some press box time throughout the defense. Not all at the same time, of course, but then again could it get much worse back there?

...and give Yak a chance. Idk why it always seems like NJD coaches are doing weird sh!t with Defensemen. It's like we(fans) and coaches watch different games in that respect.  

This season is a straight loss and the more they win the more it hurts. We're in a race for the bottom and I hope this team, at least, can't fvck that up. The Schneider deal, at the time, was great. No doubt it was an awesome move. One externality of that was that Cory stole enough games to put the Devils in the middle of the pack instead of near the bottom getting better picks for a few years where NJ really needed to be getting better draft position.

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

...and give Yak a chance. Idk why it always seems like NJD coaches are doing weird sh!t with Defensemen. It's like we(fans) and coaches watch different games in that respect.  

This season is a straight loss and the more they win the more it hurts. We're in a race for the bottom and I hope this team, at least, can't fvck that up. The Schneider deal, at the time, was great. No doubt it was an awesome move. One externality of that was that Cory stole enough games to put the Devils in the middle of the pack instead of near the bottom getting better picks for a few years where NJ really needed to be getting better draft position.

I'm really wondering how much the staff is leaning on advanced metrics to support their case. This I'm 100% serious on. And if so, it really is no wonder why not only are dumb decisions being made, but certain people are protected with the halo effect.

Also, as has been stated numerous times on this board, Nasradine needs to be the first person to ever set foot on the sun.

Butcher and Vatanen are fine together.  That said, that disastrous faceoff loss on goal #3 - I have no idea what's going on there.  I don't know why Vatanen is pushing forward and I'm not sure why Butcher is pushing into the place Vatanen should be.  The Devils under Hynes have traditionally been good off O-zone and D-zone faceoffs.

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Although he was screened on #4 pretty good, I admit it was terrible because he seemed to not care - I think at that point he was disappointed and pissed.  But #3?  Man, I don't see how you can blame that on him at all.  He might have been a little deep in his crease, but holy sh!t, a backhand pass like that should never have made it from the boards/corner area to the slot.  Absolutely poor defense by a few people on that play, particularly Vatanen I think it was who let Panarin slip right by him.  When a puck get deflected like that literally a foot from the crease, there's just really nothing a goalie can do at that point.  

I don't know why, but this team seems to feel like it can only play well in front of one goalie, and that's Mac at this point.  They don't give KK (and previously Schneider) any help whatsoever, and the goalies then lose confidence themselves, and start playing like sh!t too.

Edited by NJDfan1711
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Triumph said:

Butcher and Vatanen are fine together.  That said, that disastrous faceoff loss on goal #3 - I have no idea what's going on there.  I don't know why Vatanen is pushing forward and I'm not sure why Butcher is pushing into the place Vatanen should be.  The Devils under Hynes have traditionally been good off O-zone and D-zone faceoffs.

Would you say its bad luck then? I feel like a bulk of the goals against during the past few games have unfortunately come against their pair specifically.

4 hours ago, jagknife said:

I think that penalty was a joke. I mean really, Severson didn't even look that upset, he wasn't in his face, wasn't yelling. I mean I guess he could have low-key said something about the dude's mom having a bigger five hole than KK, but that ref needed a thicker skin to be honest. 

I agree with the benching for being an idiot, but given that he is our highest scoring defenseman at the moment, I would let it be at this point. Message was sent, back to work. 

I wouldn't mind Yakovlev getting in there, but there's a few other guys I'd want to see him replace before you get to Severson. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I thought I heard Dano say at one point last night something to the effect of "not every defensive zone breakdown should end up in the back of the net."

That is probably the biggest swipe he will ever take at KK.

pretty sure the Jackets had 4 high danger chances like midway through the game, and it was 3-0. any time there is a chance, it's in. he's brutal

completely agree with Hynes' assessment that it was individuals too... I'm not going to pretend they played amazing, but watching the overall game flow it really didn't feel like they were getting destroyed. just the prototypical game this season where insert-terrible-goalie-here let's every chance in the first 3 mins and the Devils spend 57 mins chasing the game.

Edited by Steven M.
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I think that penalty was a joke. I mean really, Severson didn't even look that upset, he wasn't in his face, wasn't yelling. I mean I guess he could have low-key said something about the dude's mom having a bigger five hole than KK, but that ref needed a thicker skin to be honest. 

I agree with the benching for being an idiot, but given that he is our highest scoring defenseman at the moment, I would let it be at this point. Message was sent, back to work. 

I wouldn't mind Yakovlev getting in there, but there's a few other guys I'd want to see him replace before you get to Severson. 

I was just saying I was glad to see Hynes finally hold him accountable. I think (hope) that partial benching in the 2nd period got the message thru.

I'm not the biggest Severson fan, but I also don't want to see him benched for whole games either.

I'd also like to see Yak get back on the ice, but not at Damon's expense.