GDT: Devils @ Islanders 7:00 PM MSG+, MSG+2

MadDog2020

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

I was trying to stay positive. But totally. 

Image result for Green Mucus Poop ANDY

31 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Who know how she is in real life, but I could see myself having a horrible day at work, feeling both defeated and furious, and her knowing just what to say so that within 20 minutes I'd be thinkng "Well OK, maybe things don't suck as much as they seem."  And feeling a bit better as a result.

Considering how this season has gone, she's the right personality at the right time. 

Just have her wear tight leather the rest of the season. That would be a nice consolation for having to watch this sh!tty team every week. 

so there's the question of whether or not Blackwood would be better off being in the AHL and shielded from this sh!t the rest of the year and let the two sieves tank the team while he tries to continue to refine his game.  Not sure where I fall on this one.

• Like 1

Just now, titans04 said:

so there's the question of whether or not Blackwood would be better off being in the AHL and shielded from this sh!t the rest of the year and let the two sieves tank the team while he tries to continue to refine his game.  Not sure where I fall on this one.

I personally want the Emoji douche gone, I’d rather see the ginger struggle now.

• Like 2

RECAP

• PROS
    • Blackwood was good
  • CONS
    • Coaching has been responsible for the past 2 losses.
      • I must preface this by saying Hynes is a good coach, but he has just ONE minor flaw, and this one minor flaw is literally the only reason for this team's struggles.
        • Those first two goals don't happen if you don't allow them to take those point shots to begin with
          • That's the attention needs to be, and not in the area in front of the net.
          • Yes it is important to clear the front of the net, but it's more important to not even allow those shots to be taken!
        • Stop gliding into their players on the point and the boards, and actually apply real pressure!
          • Gliding, giving back rubs, and waving your stick will accomplish nothing!
            • They need to get in the faces of point shooters
            • They need to play the body hard along the boards
        • This has nothing to do with defensive zone awareness or focus like Dano thinks it is.
          • This is literally the way the coaches tell the players to play.
          • The system is all about trying to contain rather than actually play the body or put on any kind of pressure.
        • Also, stop trying to make perfect breakout passes.
          • Do the high flip if necessary!
          • Ice the puck if necessary!
          • Stop hanging on to the puck waiting for something to open up.
        • Don't even get me started on the offensive zone mindset
          • So many times they had a chance to blast the puck on net with a hard shot, and they did not take it.
            • They need to stop worrying about bodies in front and just blast it when there's a chance
              • If there's traffic, then SHOOT IT!
              • If there's no traffic, then still SHOOT IT!
          • The only time this team even attempts a long range shot is when they try for a deflection.
            • Deflections and tips shouldn't be "tried for."
            • And the shot they take is usually a weak wrister!
          • The only time to not shoot it is when there's a guy right in your face, or if you're off balanced / crossed up.
          • 11 fvcking shots combined in the final 2 periods when you're down by 3 is a fvcking joke!
            • Islanders played well defensively, but no team is THAT good defensively that a team can't get more shots on net.
            • No team can defend against simple plays, and simple plays is all you need to get shots on net.
            • Don't focus on shot quality, focus on QUANTITY!
              • If you get enough QUANTITY, the QUALITY will come eventually.
              • Taking a lot of low danger shots does NOT in any way deprive a team from getting high quality chances.
              • In fact, you can make the argument taking a lot of low danger shots actually CREATES more high danger chances!
    • These two losses are both due to poor coaching which is a shame because Hynes is actually a really good coach.
      • And don't even give me the "no Hall" excuse either.
      • This roster is plenty good enough to be a playoff team.
      • If this team played more like Carolina, Vegas, Columbus, or the Islanders, they'd be a much better team.
        • No, Carolina is not there by accident.
        • They do everything well, but their goaltending has let them down.
        • It's been their only issue for the past 8 or 9 years.
        • What those teams do different than the Devils is they don't RELY on talent to win games
          • Talent is a great weapon, but you never want to have a system in place that is reliant on talent.
          • IE, you don't want a system that relies on low percentage plays.
  • OTHER NOTES
    • If there's a reason to hesitant to re-sign Hall long term, it's his injury history.
    • Also this team desperately needs more shooters than guys who hang on to the puck too long.

GOALIE AND DEFENSE

• Goal 1
    • Blue line shot, tipped in front
    • No chance for Blackwood.
  • Goal 2
    • Blue line shot, albeit a weaker shot, deflected in front.
    • Definitely nothing Blackwood could do.
  • Goal 3
    • Power play goal where Eberle goes completely unimpeded
    • Stoppable, but with the screen you can't really blame Blackwood

5 on 5 POSSESSION

• CF: 34 to 50
  • FF: 22 to 35
  • SF: 14 to 22
  • SCF: 17 to 22
  • HDCF: 7 to 10

5 ON 5 SVA POSSESSION

• CF: 31.37 to 54.54
  • FF: 20.68 to 37.48
  • SF: 13.19 to 23.6
  • SCF: 16.24 to 23.02
  • HDCF: 6.79 to 10.18

I like your recaps Mike. Two questions:

1. What makes you think Hynes is a good or even a really good coach? You posted the longest however interesting recap describing his ONE minor flaw.

2. Aren't 47 games enough for a really good coach to correct ONE minor flaw that cost us many more games than the last two?

Edited by Devs64

12 hours ago, titans04 said:

Seeing how horrible Bingo is, I don't think it will make much difference.  He's going to get shelled with little help in front of his net in both the AHL and NHL, so let him stay up here and get used the speed of the game, the shooters and their tendencies. 

10 hours ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

if you mean motivated to find a winning team that will fit the location and contract he is looking for, then I'm sure you are right.

Hall ripping it up for the rest of the season pretty much guarantees him like 88m+ dollars, if he wants it from NJ.

So... yeah I'd say that's some serious motivation lol

19 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Imagine Schneider losing his job to Blackwood. Holy shiz. Not like it isn't happening already but I mean....really...like...Wow.

Someone needs to lose their job to Blackwood. I’d choose Cory because of the money, but either way is fine. 

I also think it would be pretty funny to just run Cory out there, and tell him he doesn’t get a day off until he wins, and see how long it takes. Surely he’d have to win one by accident eventually.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Someone needs to lose their job to Blackwood. I’d choose Cory because of the money, but either way is fine. 

I also think it would be pretty funny to just run Cory out there, and tell him he doesn’t get a day off until he wins, and see how long it takes. Surely he’d have to win one by accident eventually.

It's a great idea if we legit want a shot at that first overall pick. I'd do it! I could seriously see him losing every single game. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

He tried to win that Anaheim game but Greene and Lovejoy and Noesen were like nahhhhhh

7 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

He tried to win that Anaheim game but Greene and Lovejoy and Noesen were like nahhhhhh

That is true. He definitely deserved better in that one. 

I was thinking last night about Noesen's fall from grace too. Man, talk about disappointing. He is just lost this year.

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 1