GDT: Devils @ Islanders 7:00 PM MSG+, MSG+2

MadDog2020

54 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

He's been so invisible/insignificant this year, sometimes I forget he's on the roster.

In fairness, that’s the kind of player he is. We discussed Coleman overperforming, last year was total overperformance by Noesen. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

In fairness, that’s the kind of player he is. We discussed Coleman overperforming, last year was total overperformance by Noesen. 

I suppose so.  I just honestly can't even recall if I saw him on the ice last night, and I don't know if I can say that about another player on the team.  I knew he'd be streaky and accumulate points sporadically, but I didn't think that was the player he was.

40 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Didn't know until just looking it up that Noesen was the 21st pick in the 2011 draft, huge wiff by the Sens there.

That was a funny draft. Looking at it, there's a bunch of guys in the later rounds that are WAY better than guys drafted in the first round. 

Imagine, Johnny Gaudreau was picked 83 spots after Stefan Noesen. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I suppose so.  I just honestly can't even recall if I saw him on the ice last night, and I don't know if I can say that about another player on the team.  I knew he'd be streaky and accumulate points sporadically, but I didn't think that was the player he was.

He didn't play last night.

5 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

That is true. He definitely deserved better in that one. 

I was thinking last night about Noesen's fall from grace too. Man, talk about disappointing. He is just lost this year.

Yeah its kind of crazy to think him and Coleman were considered of equal importance when it was time for extensions last off season

9 minutes ago, eaglejelly said:

I remember all the comments made  about  Lou and his signings before the season. Some people here owe him an apology.

Good for the Isles for being in first and all but:

1) its game 45, we were in first this time last year, and for a while too.

2) they were your typical Lou signings: an aging veteran (Filppula’s 34), a grinder (Martin) and another over 30 wild card (Komarov). They just all happened to work out for now. Filppula hasn’t played this well in 5-6 years, Komarov is about 2-3. Martin is channeling his inner David Clarkson, minus the whole falling all over himself.

3) I will absolutely give in credit for essentially saving Lehner’s life. Lehner pretty much said so in October or November, saying he was in a real dark place during the summer until Lou came calling. Kudos for that.

2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

they were your typical Lou signings: an aging veteran (Filppula’s 34), a grinder (Martin) and another over 30 wild card (Komarov). They just all happened to work out for now. Filppula hasn’t played this well in 5-6 years, Komarov is about 2-3. Martin is channeling his inner David Clarkson, minus the whole falling all over himself..

Which, of course, was exactly what he wanted from them, but it’s not in our nature to give Lou any kind of credit. Tavares left, he signed a handful of re-treads, all of them are performing, and the team is probably better this year without Tavares. 

Perhaps it’s a bit short sighted to say “they just happened to work out”. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Which, of course, was exactly what he wanted from them, but it’s not in our nature to give Lou any kind of credit. Tavares left, he signed a handful of re-treads, all of them are performing, and the team is probably better this year without Tavares. 

Perhaps it’s a bit short sighted to say “they just happened to work out”. 

How many times though did the retread attack fail miserably here, though? That’s all I’m getting at.

its also mid season, let’s see how they do over the full 82 and playoffs before we start insinuating (not you) apologies are necessary 

Plenty. But *this time*, it looks like it worked out. That was my point. To say he signed those three and it’s a coincidence it worked out is unfair. You can view it from the other side and say he did a great job, got 3 guys that were question marks but they all worked out, he must have seen something in them. 

And yes, we’re only halfway, so that’s all we can judge based on. Obviously a dismal second half could change that opinion, but you can only judge a team on what they are doing, not on speculation as to when they may stop doing it. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Plenty. But *this time*, it looks like it worked out. That was my point. To say he signed those three and it’s a coincidence it worked out is unfair. You can view it from the other side and say he did a great job, got 3 guys that were question marks but they all worked out, he must have seen something in them. 

And yes, we’re only halfway, so that’s all we can judge based on. Obviously a dismal second half could change that opinion, but you can only judge a team on what they are doing, not on speculation as to when they may stop doing it. 

Absolutely fair, which is why the apology thing is a little premature. That’s where my biggest hangup is.

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Absolutely fair, which is why the apology thing is a little premature. That’s where my biggest hangup is.

Agreed. Apologize to Lou for what? The 10 year stretch he had post lockout until he was dismissed in 2015 were abysmal. Piss poor drafting and bad free agency moves. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Agreed. Apologize to Lou for what? The 10 year stretch he had post lockout until he was dismissed in 2015 were abysmal. Piss poor drafting and bad free agency moves. 

Yeah that’s all still true, aside from the whole SCF in 2012 thing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Which was a fluke. Dont get me wrong, I'm very grateful for all the great things he did for this organization in the 80s-90s but his ego and past successes kept him in charge for way too long. Just my opinion. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eaglejelly said:

I remember all the comments made  about  Lou and his signings before the season. Some people here owe him an apology.

They will get bounced in the early rounds so won't be much different much different than any of his later years with the Devils. 

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I loved that run but we were one goal away from being sent home in game 6 and 7 in the first round. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slasher72 said:

Which was a fluke. Dont get me wrong, I'm very grateful for all the great things he did for this organization in the 80s-90s but his ego and past successes kept him in charge for way too long. Just my opinion. 

It wasn’t really a fluke, that team had a 100 point regular season, and never had a chance to follow it up before Parise bolted. The ‘2012 was a fluke’ thing is just a lazy narrative to discredit what was a fantastic run by a good team (perpetuated mostly by Devils fans surprisingly enough, because Devils fans find the negative in literally everything)- it’s not like that team ever played together again after that. 

Edited by MadDog2020

8 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

And? They weren’t sent home. They nutted up and won.

That's why I don't give Lou more credit than he deserves for that run because he really doesn't deserve much for it. We missed the playoffs too many times before and after it with embarrassing first round knockouts to have one year cancel all that out.

2008 embarrassing 1st round loss to the Rangers

2009 embrassing 1st round choke job to Carolina

2010 embrassing 1st round loss to Philly

2011 missed the playoffs

2012 SCF run

2013 missed the playoffs 

2014 missed the playoffs 

2015 missed the playoffs 

So no Lou will not get an apology from me cause we went on 1 good run in 8 seasons. The Islanders still won't win or do sh!t this year. Bank on it. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

That's why I don't give Lou more credit than he deserves for that run because he really doesn't deserve much for it. We missed the playoffs too many times before and after it with embarrassing first round knockouts to have one year cancel all that out.

2008 embarrassing 1st round loss to the Rangers

2009 embrassing 1st round choke job to Carolina

2010 embrassing 1st round loss to Philly

2011 missed the playoffs

2012 SCF run

2013 missed the playoffs 

2014 missed the playoffs 

2015 missed the playoffs 

So no Lou will not get an apology from me cause we went on 1 good run in 8 seasons. The Islanders still won't win or do sh!t this year. Bank on it. 

I’m not really arguing your Lou point, I’m arguing on behalf of that 2012 team. That run gets blown off as a ‘fluke’ entirely too often, when it really wasn’t. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’m not really arguing your Lou point, I’m arguing on behalf of that 2012 team. That run gets blown off as a ‘fluke’ entirely too often, when it really wasn’t. 

I'd argue more the Florida series was a fluke win but we bitch slapped the Flyers and pretty much did the same to Rangers. 

• Like 1

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

I'd argue more the Florida series was a fluke win but we bitch slapped the Flyers and pretty much did the same to Rangers. 

I honestly think they (and we as fans) may have underestimated Florida in that series- I even remember we had a thread here that went on for like two months heading into the playoffs that season talking about specifically wanting to play the Panthers. I remember being so irate leaving game 3 (the blown 3 goal lead game), I was barely able to form a coherent sentence lol. That series was an incredible OT Marty save in game 7 on our old friend John Madden away from being one of the biggest disasters in franchise history, but they held on and found a way, and the rest is history. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Would have liked to have find out, but Parise leaving after it (and then Kovalsuck a year later) robbed us of that chance to keep a good team together for another few years.  It only looks like a fluke given they did nothing in the playoffs from the second lockout till that season and didn't make the playoffs after it till last year.

• Like 1