Race To The Bottom II - 2018-19 Edition

Triumph

3 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Good opportunity to give Schneider some ice time.

I'm not on board with a tank at all, BUT...

It might have some comedic value to just run Cory out there until he wins. No matter what, you don't get a day off until you win a fvcking hockey game.  He'll wind up with like an 8.00 GAA and .800 save percentage. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm not on board with a tank at all, BUT...

It might have some comedic value to just run Cory out there until he wins. No matter what, you don't get a day off until you win a fvcking hockey game.  He'll wind up with like an 8.00 GAA and .800 save percentage. 

If you did that I think at some point you'd see some version of this:

12 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Big difference is Roy was an elite goalie hung out to dry and Cory knows he stinks right now and is part of the problem. 

True, true. Led to one of the dumbest Pre-Chiarelli trades ever. I just don't like to see goalies left in when it's clear that they're having a night where they can't stop anything. Problem is with Cory that he doesn't seem to have anything but those kinds of nights anymore.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2019 at 10:48 AM, Triumph said:

The odds of no one behind the Devils winning the lottery are not all that high.  Tankathon, a site I just found by googling, says that if the season ended today, the Devils would have a 25% chance of picking in the top 3, an 8.4% chance of picking 5th, and 65% chance of picking lower than 5th.  

I mean when you put it that way.. we really need to um.. well, lose.  Lots of games.

fvck I hate not just rooting for a win every night.

it sucks not having Hall but it gives us a really good excuse to suck at the moment (even though we sucked with him in the lineup too)

I guess the best take away from all of this is that we're doing the things that will put us in the best position to make the best moves in order to achieve our goal, which is to become a real contender in a few years.

We have the cap space to get the "right" player for us. Not signing anyone just to say we did something. We have a good position to pick the best talent in this years draft. We'll likely trade before the deadline to get picks so we can pick more potential players for our team. That's all you can do.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

It’s a weird thing. While I’m watching the game I get excited for every goal they score and every big hit (as rare as they are nowadays). I cheer for them to win while they’re playing but then I’m just as happy or content when they end up losing. 

This is where I am. I am still pissed/angry/downtrodden DURING the loss, but usually a loss will stick with me until the next game and now I am over it before the final whistle and by the next morning actually a bit relieved when you look at the standings and see us falling away from the dreaded middle.

That being said, Senators are going to be hard if not impossible to catch especially with them likely to trade away impact players at the deadline. Only hope is that since the org. has 0 reason to tank they find some pride to win some games. Didn't the Leafs make some trades to improve in an attempt to avoid the embarrassment of us getting the #1 pick in the Lindros Niedermayer draft? 

As far as I'm concerned the sending down of Blackwood best have been part of a conscious conversation about "racing to the bottom." He might have prevented us from finishing in the bottom three or four after all. If not, to stifle a rising player like that is unacceptable. Blackwood did everything right. Well, there's also the possibility that KK gets traded for a bag of pucks and that's why he's being showcased.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

As far as I'm concerned the sending down of Blackwood best have been part of a conscious conversation about "racing to the bottom." He might have prevented us from finishing in the bottom three or four after all. If not, to stifle a rising player like that is unacceptable. Blackwood did everything right. Well, there's also the possibility that KK gets traded for a bag of pucks and that's why he's being showcased.

Kinkaid's name keeps coming up from respected journalists.  I don't really know where he'd go but it seems like there's a chance he will be moved.  I really didn't think there would be much of a market for him.

3 hours ago, Triumph said:

Kinkaid's name keeps coming up from respected journalists.  I don't really know where he'd go but it seems like there's a chance he will be moved.  I really didn't think there would be much of a market for him.

i could see someone take a flyer on him for a 6th or 7th which the Devils should be all over.

Minny, Canes, Leafs, Vegas

Playoff teams of hopefulls that might just want the insurance?

9 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

i could see someone take a flyer on him for a 6th or 7th which the Devils should be all over.

That's my only thought as well -- a team in contention that needs a reliable backup for in-case purposes.  I can't see anyone looking at Kinkaid to be the answer in net, and your non-playoff teams typically already have one, or two, non-starting caliber goalies and wouldn't have a need for him, since that's essentially what he is.

28 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

But what does he insure?  Teams rarely want a 3rd goaltender unless their backup can be sent through waivers.  He has to be demonstrably better than the backup and that's just not true on a lot of these teams.