Race To The Bottom II - 2018-19 Edition

Triumph

11 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I’m confident that Nico will be the best player in that draft, and if he’s not, the guy who might turn out better is Cale Makar.  

I’ve got no issues with what Nico has brought. It was a weak draft without a consensus #1, and that’s who we chose. If there was a total stud that everyone expected to go #1 and we passed him over, that’s a whole other thing. That did not happen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EdgeControl said:

Happy with nico... the choice was he or patrick.. we won by a mile..

honestly, can't even believe people are going back now saying there was a better pick for the devils to have made. people need to calm down here, the kid isn't even at his full potential 

5 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

honestly, can't even believe people are going back now saying there was a better pick for the devils to have made. people need to calm down here, the kid isn't even at his full potential 

It’s all hindsight, it’s easy to say they should’ve picked someone different when someone else is performing better at the moment. You don’t know the answer for years. 

Having the #1 pick by no means guarantees you the best player, that’s probably only happened a handful of times if you really look at it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

That was the whole point of my post. I was quoting someone who said that we have Vancouver/lotto to thank for Nico and I was making the point that they’re probably pretty excited with Petersson instead.

I get what you meant, I was just clarifying, getting the 1OA is always the best thing for your franchise. You kind of suggested it wasn’t. But I get it. 

4 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I love Nico guys, and we’ve already done this rigamarole a few times before. But if I’m drafting at 1OA again with the benefit of hindsight, I take Petersson 1st and Heiskanen 2nd; Nico likely 3rd.

that doesn’t mean I love him. I do love him. 

Yeah, obviously as of right now, if you could take a time machine back, that’s what you’d do. That could remain true, or could be completely different in a year, or two, or five...

30 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I get what you meant, I was just clarifying, getting the 1OA is always the best thing for your franchise. You kind of suggested it wasn’t. But I get it. 

Yeah, obviously as of right now, if you could take a time machine back, that’s what you’d do. That could remain true, or could be completely different in a year, or two, or five...

if you'd have a time machine for Devils related stuff... let's say drafting Petersson instead of Nico would not be close to be a priority on my list.. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

if you'd have a time machine for Devils related stuff... let's say drafting Petersson instead of Nico would not be close to be a priority on my list.. 

Knocking Stephane Matteau unconscious in 1994 would be at the top of my list.

• Like 4

Didn’t realize the Devils have gone so many games without a win. Current losing streak is at 6. Longest in the league. 

30th is looking like much more of a possibility than it did just a few weeks ago. 

I’d be really hyped to have a good shot at getting Kakko 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Didn’t realize the Devils have gone so many games without a win. Current losing streak is at 6. Longest in the league. 

30th is looking like much more of a possibility than it did just a few weeks ago. 

I’d be really hyped to have a good shot at getting Kakko 

It really started leading up to the trade deadline, and has continued ever since.  Really for those past half dozen games or so, is when the injuries snowballed to the point of ridiculous, and we've been icing a lineup that consists of 90% unrecognizable players with little to no NHL experience.  This guys are giving it their best effort, which is admirable, but I can't see them coming away with more than 4-5 wins here as the season winds down, despite how hard they try.

On 2/26/2019 at 9:02 AM, Devilsfan118 said:

image.thumb.png.187c0726b16d07de65cc4832ebcafa12.png

So, assuming we win at least half of our games (thanks to Cory's resurgence), we're realistically looking at drafting anywhere between 5th through 9th.

image.thumb.png.c3fe109c86cec38cbf0c76c67de975c4.png

Well, losing a lot has helped our outlook quite a bit it seems.

Our odds seem pretty solid to finish between 3 and 5.

Though if we keep losing - the 'sky' is the limit I suppose.

image.thumb.png.ef2ef71b7b199629f3f1435ccb4b8486.png

Edited by Devilsfan118

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Yeah that's great and all but what about the playoff chances? :tomato:

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

This could be the best of all worlds:  maximizing our chance for a top pick, evaluating what we actually have in the system, and settling our goaltender situation a little bit.  I guess there is not much else we can do at this point....

• Like 1

Bad couple of nights for the tank. NJ won Wed, and DET, ANA, and LAK all lost tonight. DET is particularly useless, as they squandered a late lead against TB giving up 4 goals in the 3rd. 

It’s pretty astonishing that DET and LAK actually look worse than what the Devils are icing. 

6 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Bad couple of nights for the tank. NJ won Wed, and DET, ANA, and LAK all lost tonight. DET is particularly useless, as they squandered a late lead against TB giving up 4 goals in the 3rd. 

It’s pretty astonishing that DET and LAK actually look worse than what the Devils are icing. 

Yeah Detroit last night was a tough one. I got my hopes up, but also had a feeling that they went up 3-0 too early, but still figured they'd get a point. Really thought the Kings would pass us just because Quick would steal more points than our goalies, but he has looked much worse than Schneider over the last stretch. Schneider is ahead of him for sv% for the season now. 

6 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah, yesterday was a combination of Tampa being just downright incredible, and Detroit being downright horrible.  It was 3-0 going into the third and I literally watched the Bolts score 5 in a row, before Detroit notched a 4th late and lost by a goal.  

I have no idea what the Kings are doing over there on the west coast, but you're right - it's amazing that both of them somehow seem worse than us, considering 75% of our lineup at the moment is AHLers, and that's being generous.

5 minutes ago, Steadevils said:

Really thought the Kings would pass us just because Quick would steal more points than our goalies, but he has looked much worse than Schneider over the last stretch. Schneider is ahead of him for sv% for the season now. 

Wow, is he really?  That's nuts.  He has to have played like pure sh!t lately.