Race To The Bottom II - 2018-19 Edition

Triumph

6 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Detroit beating Boston was huge. Detroit and Buffalo at 72 now and with us at 68 and all having 3 games to go we would most likely have to win out to pass either since we can only max out at 74.

I picked up Mantha this morning on a whim when I saw my opponent picked up Howard. Mantha was the difference in the matchup and I’m moving on to the finals. God that game was huge in so many ways!

I want us to go 2 for 3 this week, beating NYR and CAR cause fvck them both. So the Wings and the plastic drink accessories need to each win a game to compensate for those two victories.

Edited by jagknife

48 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Yeah, I should clarify, I’m thinking Bastian looks like he can be a depth contributor but yes, way too early for me to make that call.   

Between Bastian and McLeod, I figure one of them should at least give us a decent contribution in the bottom 6 for a few years.   Bratt is the prize of the draft for us and I think he’s shown a lot in two years but needs to become way more consistent.   Talent is there 

Talent is definitely there. I hope he continues on the path he’s on.

• Like 1

Re Bratt, even taking the significant time he has missed to injury into account, he’s 8th in points from his draft class.  He got better this year and he’s someone you notice when he’s on the ice.  McLeod can end up being a complete bust, and Bratt alone would make that draft class a relative success.  

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

I'd be perfectly fine with us winning in regulation tonight.  With the Canes needing to win pretty badly, I don't see us beating them later this week, so let's get our last win of the season out of the way and beat the sh!t out of these a$$holes tonight.  We can try hard on Saturday and lose in overtime to the Panthers.  3 points will put us with a whopping 71 on the season, and probably get us the 3rd pick.  If LA wins two out of their last four, they'll pass us with the same amount of points but 1 more regulation/OT win, and we could even get the 2nd pick.  

Edited by NJDfan1711

I turned off Boston-Detroit at 2nd intermission when Boston was ahead figuring they were 95% to win - imagine my surprise.

27:  BUF, DET -7

29:  NJD -11

30:  LAK -11

31:  OTT -16

Since Buffalo and Detroit play each other, there is almost no chance of finishing 27th anymore - Sportsclubstats lists it as a 3% possibility even if the Devils win out.  They give a 49% chance for 29th, 43% chance for 30th.  This is good.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I'd be perfectly fine with us winning in regulation tonight.  With the Canes needing to win pretty badly, I don't see us beating them later this week, so let's get our last win of the season out of the way and beat the sh!t out of these a$$holes tonight.  We can try hard on Saturday and lose in overtime to the Panthers.  3 points will put us with a whopping 71 on the season, and probably get us the 3rd pick.  If LA wins two out of their last four, they'll pass us with the same amount of points but 1 more regulation/OT win, and we could even get the 2nd pick.  

Losing in regulation tonight and then beating Carolina in regulation would be my preference. At this point I base my happiness on other fan bases misery, so helping knock out Carolina would be nice. 

1 hour ago, Steadevils said:

Losing in regulation tonight and then beating Carolina in regulation would be my preference. At this point I base my happiness on other fan bases misery, so helping knock out Carolina would be nice. 

I'd be OK with that a well :D

5 minutes ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Why do you have the Devils and Kings tied? We've got one more point than they do, but they've got one extra game left to play. 

He’s got LA in 30th, but both teams are 11 games under 500.

1 hour ago, EdgeControl said:

I Dont want to lose tonight, going to the game .. hopefully there wont be many blue shirts in the seats

1 hour ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

same here, win tonight and then feel free to lose the remaining games

I always love beating the Rags, but pulling a draft lotto win and drafting a player that could make NJ a nightmare to play against again sounds like a great consolation prize if they do lose.

7 hours ago, Derlique said:

A Rangers win in regulation tonight would lock us into 3rd worst record (at worst). Not to mention it would hurt NYR's draft odds

Edit: never mind. Buffalo really sucks

Now 3-17-3 in their last 23 GP.  One regulation win. 

Though there's some complaints any time the Devils either dare to win a game or their opposition dares not to beat them, other teams in contention for that top pick really did a hell of a lot better than the Devils down the stretch...some records over the last 15 games for some teams:

Kings:  6-7-2  (14 points)

Red Wings:  8-6-1  (17 points)

Sens:  6-8-1  (13 points, though obviously they're just f*cked, no possible nice way to say it)

Sabres:  1-12-2  (4 points...Sweet Jesus)

Devils:  4-9-2 (10 points...considering how good Mac and Cory have been of late in many of their games, kinda miraculous that the Devils' record isn't a little better.  Also kinda sad.  Less than a week and this is finally over.  Can't come soon enough.)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Flames apparently sitting a lot of players tonight vs the Kings.  Hopefully that leads to another two points for LA (they're 4-1-1 in their last six). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Flames apparently sitting a lot of players tonight vs the Kings.  Hopefully that leads to another two points for LA (they're 4-1-1 in their last six). 

Yeah Calgary wrapped up their division and home ice through the West last night, so they’ll probably be resting guys a lot these next couple games.

• Like 2

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah Calgary wrapped up their division and home ice through the West last night, so they’ll probably be resting guys a lot these next couple games.

Funny thing is when you're enjoying a "Everything's going right" season like Calgary, it wouldn't surprise me if their version of an "A-/B" team takes care of business as though nothing's changed.  You see that sometimes.  Hopefully not. 

LA has to go to Arizona tomorrow night, and it's a game Arizona desperately has to have.  So kinda feels like tonight's a "must win" for them, as far as the Devils trying to sneak into the #30 spot goes. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Funny thing is when you're enjoying a "Everything's going right" season like Calgary, it wouldn't surprise me if their version of an "A-/B" team takes care of business as though nothing's changed.  You see that sometimes.  Hopefully not. 

LA has to go to Arizona tomorrow night, and it's a game Arizona desperately has to have.  So kinda feels like tonight's a "must win" for them, as far as the Devils trying to sneak into the #30 spot goes. 

I just saw that Tampa, on the other hand, will not be resting anyone this week. I guess they wanna keep the momentum going and not chance a stall of any kind heading into the first round.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I just saw that Tampa, on the other hand, will not be resting anyone this week. I guess they wanna keep the momentum going and not chance a stall of any kind heading into the first round.

Don't blame them...they will get crucified if they don't win it all this year (or reach the SCF at the very least). 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Don't blame them...they will get crucified if they don't win it all this year (or reach the SCF at the very least). 

If they don’t win it all this year, they may never win it. It’s their Cup to lose.

Just now, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Devils fans have to be major "anyone but Tampa" fans this year, right? If I remember correctly, the Rangers get a 1st round pick if they win it all this year (and a 2nd if they don't)?

Oh sh!t yeah I kinda remember that...yikes...

1 minute ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Devils fans have to be major "anyone but Tampa" fans this year, right? If I remember correctly, the Rangers get a 1st round pick if they win it all this year (and a 2nd if they don't)?

Even holding aside the Rangers aspect, I could never root for Tampa. I'll join the "anyone but Tampa" crew, and I will add a "preferably not the Islanders either". 

1 minute ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

As pissed as I am after last year, we weren't expected to win at all, you could make the argument that even getting one win in the series was lucky enough, so it's hard to really be too bent about that or have much of a grudge.  I suppose the Kuch hit on Vatanen still stings.  I have a much softer spot for them though - as most know, I'm only an hour away, and I've been here for so long that they're basically my 2nd favorite team.  Beyond all that, it's been fun watching their dominance this season, though it's always fun watching someone pull of a miracle upset too.  But yeah, the entire city will pretty much be devastated if they don't win it all this year, and I can't say I blame them.  No one has been in their league all season.