Race To The Bottom II - 2018-19 Edition

Triumph

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

If they don’t win it all this year, they may never win it. It’s their Cup to lose.

Essentially this. 

I've said it a few times, but I kind of feel that a lot of the fans around this area who didn't see the Cup win in 04 may get disinterested and/or frustrated and turned off if they don't win it all this year.  They were close last year and let it slip away to the Caps. I think in some ways it was similar to what happened to us in 01.  Even though we had won the year before in 00, it felt like we were the best team in 01 and let it slip away like the Bolts did last year, and getting the win in 03 was sort of our revenge, at least to me.  I know a lot of people still hate what happened in 01, and so do I, but I was able to put a lot of that behind me once we won in 03.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Essentially this. 

I've said it a few times, but I kind of feel that a lot of the fans around this area who didn't see the Cup win in 04 may get disinterested and/or frustrated and turned off if they don't win it all this year.  They were close last year and let it slip away to the Caps. I think in some ways it was similar to what happened to us in 01.  Even though we had won the year before in 00, it felt like we were the best team in 01 and let it slip away like the Bolts did last year, and getting the win in 03 was sort of our revenge, at least to me.  I know a lot of people still hate what happened in 01, and so do I, but I was able to put a lot of that behind me once we won in 03.  

01 will go with me to my grave. We blew a shot to repeat, and we were the better team. That’s always gonna be the one that got away for me. 2003 definitely made up for it, but missing out on a chance to go back-to-back will always stick in my craw. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Devils fans have to be major "anyone but Tampa" fans this year, right? If I remember correctly, the Rangers get a 1st round pick if they win it all this year (and a 2nd if they don't)?

I was already a major anyone but Tampa fan after the way they played us in the playoffs. I hope they get swept in the first round, fvck them.

I don't want the Islanders winning either, can't stand that fan base. Would like to see them get swept too.

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I was already a major anyone but Tampa fan after the way they played us in the playoffs. I hope they get swept in the first round, fvck them.

I don't want the Islanders winning either, can't stand that fan base. Would like to see them get swept too.

Last year's playoffs against them still leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.  Some of their plays were so totally uncalled for.  What were they trying to prove?  They acted like real bullies, and then they got schooled by the Caps.

Edited by aclc79
  • Like 1

Well said!

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Hedman spearing Nico in the balls was what bothered me the most. Totally bush league for one of the best defenseman in the league to do that to a rookie. And fvck his fake apology. 

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

01 will go with me to my grave. We blew a shot to repeat, and we were the better team. That’s always gonna be the one that got away for me. 2003 definitely made up for it, but missing out on a chance to go back-to-back will always stick in my craw. 

to make it worst it was against Roy... ugh.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Hedman spearing Nico in the balls was what bothered me the most. Totally bush league for one of the best defenseman in the league to do that to a rookie. And fvck his fake apology. 

Given that he wasn’t injured, there’s a certain amount of humor in a nut shot. Not for the recipient. 

Edited by mfitz804

Bad night for the tank.  Glad I didn't stay up to watch the 3rd of the LA-CGY game although I would've turned it off after the 4th goal.

27:  BUF, DET -7

29:  NJD -10

30:  LAK -12

The Devils have now clinched finishing ahead of the Senators.  Sportsclubstats gives the Devils a 72% chance of finishing in 29th.

15 hours ago, Nicomo said:

We should've absolutely gone McSorley over Kucherov's head in that series. It should've been ordered by the coach. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Devils fans have to be major "anyone but Tampa" fans this year, right? If I remember correctly, the Rangers get a 1st round pick if they win it all this year (and a 2nd if they don't)?

You got it.

I mean I still consider Kucherov a dirtbag for his headshot on Vats, but that aside.. yeah we don't need that conditional pick turning into a 1st for the Rags.

Edit: I'm late to the party and this conversation has already pretty much taken place, whoops

Edited by Devilsfan118

19 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Funny thing is when you're enjoying a "Everything's going right" season like Calgary, it wouldn't surprise me if their version of an "A-/B" team takes care of business as though nothing's changed.  You see that sometimes.  Hopefully not. 

LA has to go to Arizona tomorrow night, and it's a game Arizona desperately has to have.  So kinda feels like tonight's a "must win" for them, as far as the Devils trying to sneak into the #30 spot goes. 

Yep.  Toxic Kovy gets back into the lineup, instant blowout loss, heh heh.  Oh well.  It all falls where it falls. 

Now watch the Kings beat the 'Yotes. 

Los Angeles pulls off the stunner in Arizona.

28:  BUF -8

29:  NJD -10

30:  LAK -11

New Jersey presently loses tiebreakers to both Buffalo and Los Angeles, so if they end up tied with either (or both) in points they will lose on tiebreakers.

• Like 1

Crazy Arizona lost to them at home and basically eliminated themselves from the playoffs tonight. 

Los Angeles plays at Anaheim Friday and home vs Vegas Saturday. 

Buffalo plays Ottawa at home tomorrow and at Detroit on Saturday. 

I think we stay behind Buffalo cause they should win tomorrow. Kings I'm not sure but we'll see. 

Carolina really needs the win against us so I can't imagine we go down there and pull out a win. We usually play like crap in Florida so that one is a toss up. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

7 hours ago, Triumph said:

New Jersey presently loses tiebreakers to both Buffalo and Los Angeles, so if they end up tied with either (or both) in points they will lose on tiebreakers.

So to confirm my understanding because I'm having trouble with the double negatives - this is a good thing for the Devils, correct?

So if we end up tied with both Buffalo and/or LA, we'll still finish lower?

That's great news.

Against the odds, it looks like we may just end up finishing second-to-last.

15 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So to confirm my understanding because I'm having trouble with the double negatives - this is a good thing for the Devils, correct?

That's great news.

I was also having trouble understanding how it phrased that statement, but I don't believe we 'lose' the tie-breaker, at least not with Buffalo.  We have 1 more regulation/OT win than them, so if we tie in points at the end of the season, we'll be a spot ahead of them.

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

That's great news.

No, this is bad news - the Devils 'winning' tiebreakers means they finish ahead.  Buffalo has fewer regulation/OT wins and LA has a worse goal differential, so they would finish behind us in the event of a tie (provided the Devils don't, e.g. win a shootout and lose in regulation and Buffalo wins 2 games in regulation).

Edited by Triumph

9 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Crazy Arizona lost to them at home and basically eliminated themselves from the playoffs tonight. 

Los Angeles plays at Anaheim Friday and home vs Vegas Saturday. 

Buffalo plays Ottawa at home tomorrow and at Detroit on Saturday. 

I think we stay behind Buffalo cause they should win tomorrow. Kings I'm not sure but we'll see. 

Carolina really needs the win against us so I can't imagine we go down there and pull out a win. We usually play like crap in Florida so that one is a toss up. 

Buffalo's fall has been amazing. 3 points in their last 15 games it looks like? That team is really limping in to the offseason after a good start. And now their last two games are against two other terrible team..really just a sad sad 2nd half to the season up in buffalo. 

I have been 100% on-board team tank, but now I kind of want to beat the Canes on Thursday tank be damned. Would be kind of sweet to be a part of knocking them out of the playoffs. That fanbase really doesn't like the Devil's, so would be nice to add to that hatred.  

57 minutes ago, Triumph said:

No, this is bad news - the Devils 'winning' tiebreakers means they finish ahead.  Buffalo has fewer regulation/OT wins and LA has a worse goal differential, so they would finish behind us in the event of a tie (provided the Devils don't, e.g. win a shootout and lose in regulation and Buffalo wins 2 games in regulation).

Ah, sh!t, okay that's no bueno. 

Thanks for clarifying.