Sign in to follow this  
Triumph

Race To The Bottom II - 2018-19 Edition

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Pretty close to my sentiments.  Here's where I am:  I can't actively root for my team to lose, especially while I'm watching one of their games.  Within each game, I'm rooting for the Devils (and some specific players as well).  But I'm definitely not at all heartbroken right now when they lose.  I feel like I'm emotionally covered either way, really.

Should the Devils truly collapse down the stretch, I can live with it, same way I did two years ago.  Doesn't mean I'll enjoy it, but if the Devils wind up with a top young player out of it, and the team is looking like a much more formidable opponent in a few years (hopefully sooner), then 2018-19 will feel like a distant memory. 

This is how I feel, to the letter. Couldn’t have said it better CR.

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Steadevils said:

Agree on both points. If we were getting the Islanders somehow amazing goaltending I would have to think we'd be in a playoff spot right now. And yeah it looks like we will get 3 NHL players from the 2016 draft (Bratt, Anderson, Mcleod), so I bet we look back on that draft as a success . 

Little early to say on McLeod. He’s played like 4 minutes in the NHL, and for some reason can’t seem to get another call up. 

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Little early to say on McLeod. He’s played like 4 minutes in the NHL, and for some reason can’t seem to get another call up. 

I just think it is unlikely that he won't fill a bottom 6 role in the NHL due to his size and speed alone. Not the ceiling you want from a 1st rounder, but still see his floor of a bottom six being a likely outcome. 

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I'm fine with it either way. More time to develop in the AHL is not a bad thing. I still think Zacha may have benefitted from that. 

Of course, that said, we already have quite a few AHL'ers on the roster. Might as well give him, and anyone else with any kind of potential, a look. 

Good night for the tank - 3 point game between Edmonton and Arizona helps:

26:  ANA -3

27:  EDM -5

28:  NJD -6

29:  DET -6

30:  LAK -7

31:  OTT -10

• Like 1

I'm made my peace with the state of this season a while ago and even though, much like everyone else, I can't actively root for us to lose, I'm checking this thread pretty much daily or at least after each one of our own games to see how it's changed... but man would it really be great to have a "Race To The Top" thread next year, or the year after.  Hell, just a "Race To The Playoffs" would be nice.

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Hell, just a "Race To The Playoffs" would be nice.

i'll start the "we're #8! we're #8!!" chant. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

I wonder if mojo gets traded this week and if so, for what...

I keep forgetting that the trade deadline is Monday.  Seems like it's earlier this year, which probably isn't good for us. 

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I keep forgetting that the trade deadline is Monday.  Seems like it's earlier this year, which probably isn't good for us. 

Why do you feel that way?

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Why do you feel that way?

Less time to attract buyers?

And negotiate deals.

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Less time to attract buyers?

And negotiate deals.

Wouldn't they just...start earlier??

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Wouldn't they just...start earlier??

You'd think, but something tells me that might not always happen.   I could see that being reasonable logic if the date at which the trade deadline came up during the season coincided with how far into October the regular season started, which would make the normal course of events of a season essentially the same, but I don't think that's the case, so basically I think if the deadline is an extra week or two early this year that maybe it really did shorten the time to complete a transaction.

just inventing sh!t to be negative about at that point

2 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

just inventing sh!t to be negative about at that point

🤔 You referring to me?  Not being negative dude, just pointing out that I think it's a little earlier this year, and this is a year where we're presumably trying to sell multiple players/pieces (as we already have with Boyle), so it would seem to make sense that the more time the better.  Not a big deal though lol. 

6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

🤔 You referring to me?  Not being negative dude, just pointing out that I think it's a little earlier this year, and this is a year where we're presumably trying to sell multiple players/pieces (as we already have with Boyle), so it would seem to make sense that the more time the better.  Not a big deal though lol. 

It was February 26th last year, it's February 25th this year 

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

You'd think, but something tells me that might not always happen.   I could see that being reasonable logic if the date at which the trade deadline came up during the season coincided with how far into October the regular season started, which would make the normal course of events of a season essentially the same, but I don't think that's the case, so basically I think if the deadline is an extra week or two early this year that maybe it really did shorten the time to complete a transaction.

This makes absolutely no sense. Everyone knows when the trade deadline is from the beginning of the year, if they run out of time to make a deal, its just because they don't know what the fvck they are doing. 

51 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

The extra day would have made all the difference, my man. 😉

53 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Oh wow.  For some reason I was thinking March 5th.  Maybe that was the year before.

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

its just because they don't know what the fvck they are doing. 

I can think of at least one GM that fits that description to a T. 😁

31 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Oh wow.  For some reason I was thinking March 5th.  Maybe that was the year before.

I can think of at least one GM that fits that description to a T. 😁

March 5th was back in like 2014 since it's been sooner

3 hours ago, Triumph said:

Good night for the tank - 3 point game between Edmonton and Arizona helps:

26:  ANA -3

27:  EDM -5

28:  NJD -6

29:  DET -6

30:  LAK -7

31:  OTT -10

Finishing third to last or worse would put us in a real good spot.  A very good chance that under the worst case scenario there, the Devils should be able to draft Byram who a lot of people say is better than any of the other defenseman drafted last year save Dahlin. 

It's pretty much for that reason that I would not trade Kinkaid unless the offer is too good to be true.

10 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

March 5th was back in like 2014 since it's been sooner

Gotcha.  Damn, time flies.

44 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Oh wow. 

Confirmed. NJDFan1711 is Ken Daneyko. This explains a whole lot. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Oh boy!!

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Haha.  Fake news, I swear. 😁 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Oh boy!!

Take it easy Cangi, errr, Crisis.

• Haha 1