Race To The Bottom II - 2018-19 Edition

Triumph

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Little early to say on McLeod. He’s played like 4 minutes in the NHL, and for some reason can’t seem to get another call up. 

I just think it is unlikely that he won't fill a bottom 6 role in the NHL due to his size and speed alone. Not the ceiling you want from a 1st rounder, but still see his floor of a bottom six being a likely outcome. 

8 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Little early to say on McLeod. He’s played like 4 minutes in the NHL, and for some reason can’t seem to get another call up. 

I'm fine with it either way. More time to develop in the AHL is not a bad thing. I still think Zacha may have benefitted from that. 

Of course, that said, we already have quite a few AHL'ers on the roster. Might as well give him, and anyone else with any kind of potential, a look. 

I'm made my peace with the state of this season a while ago and even though, much like everyone else, I can't actively root for us to lose, I'm checking this thread pretty much daily or at least after each one of our own games to see how it's changed... but man would it really be great to have a "Race To The Top" thread next year, or the year after.  Hell, just a "Race To The Playoffs" would be nice.

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Wouldn't they just...start earlier??

You'd think, but something tells me that might not always happen.   I could see that being reasonable logic if the date at which the trade deadline came up during the season coincided with how far into October the regular season started, which would make the normal course of events of a season essentially the same, but I don't think that's the case, so basically I think if the deadline is an extra week or two early this year that maybe it really did shorten the time to complete a transaction.

2 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

just inventing sh!t to be negative about at that point

🤔 You referring to me?  Not being negative dude, just pointing out that I think it's a little earlier this year, and this is a year where we're presumably trying to sell multiple players/pieces (as we already have with Boyle), so it would seem to make sense that the more time the better.  Not a big deal though lol. 

6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

🤔 You referring to me?  Not being negative dude, just pointing out that I think it's a little earlier this year, and this is a year where we're presumably trying to sell multiple players/pieces (as we already have with Boyle), so it would seem to make sense that the more time the better.  Not a big deal though lol. 

It was February 26th last year, it's February 25th this year 

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

You'd think, but something tells me that might not always happen.   I could see that being reasonable logic if the date at which the trade deadline came up during the season coincided with how far into October the regular season started, which would make the normal course of events of a season essentially the same, but I don't think that's the case, so basically I think if the deadline is an extra week or two early this year that maybe it really did shorten the time to complete a transaction.

This makes absolutely no sense. Everyone knows when the trade deadline is from the beginning of the year, if they run out of time to make a deal, its just because they don't know what the fvck they are doing. 

51 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

The extra day would have made all the difference, my man. 😉

53 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Oh wow.  For some reason I was thinking March 5th.  Maybe that was the year before.

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

its just because they don't know what the fvck they are doing. 

I can think of at least one GM that fits that description to a T. 😁

3 hours ago, Triumph said:

Good night for the tank - 3 point game between Edmonton and Arizona helps:

26:  ANA -3

27:  EDM -5

28:  NJD -6

29:  DET -6

30:  LAK -7

31:  OTT -10

Finishing third to last or worse would put us in a real good spot.  A very good chance that under the worst case scenario there, the Devils should be able to draft Byram who a lot of people say is better than any of the other defenseman drafted last year save Dahlin. 

It's pretty much for that reason that I would not trade Kinkaid unless the offer is too good to be true.

Good tank results last night, not completely great, but solid:

DET came back to lose in OT to CHI. 

CHI is now 7 pts up on the Devils

DET is 1 pt ahead of the Devils.

COL beat WPG. COL is now 7 pts up on the Devils as well.

Unrelated to the tank, but the Islanders lost. fvck them.

Hard for me to see the Devils losing to Ottawa tonight, but we'll see what happens. Who even knows if Duchene or Stone will be playing. Duchene was said to not be playing another game with the Senators and then yesterday it came out that he said he's playing. Who TF knows.

Other relevant games:

CAR @ FLA (60 PTS)

MIN (60 PTS) @ NYR (60 PTS)

LAK (52 PTS) @ NSH

NYI @ EDM (54 PTS)

AZ (59 PTS) @ VAN (59 PTS)

also in separate action are DAL, BUF, and PHI who all have 63 points, so with 22 games left it's hard to see the Devils making up a nearly 10 point gap but I'll hope for those teams to win regardless.

Anyways... since I will be at the game and will rooting for Cory and the team to do well from the moment my ass is in the seat, just gonna hope these other results break our way.

• Like 3

Some stuff broke NJ's way last night - AZ-VAN going to OT was a big one.  Standings expressed in terms of points below .500:

25:  VAN -1

26:  ANA -3

27:  EDM -4

28:  NJD -5

29.  DET -6

30.  LAK -8

31.  OTT -11

It's going to be impossible to catch Ottawa now that Duchene is gone and Stone and Dzingel are going - they are simply atrocious.

• Like 1