Sign in to follow this  
Triumph

Race To The Bottom II - 2018-19 Edition

In regards to where we finish, I am kind of numb about it right now.  We are going to get at least a semi-decent shot at #1 or #2, so I am alright.  Even if we end up with the second-worst record, it is still a crap-shoot (though with slightly higher odds).

Kovalchuk was used on the 4th line a decent amount this season and he has several games below 15 minutes - for a guy who is used to playing 20 minutes a game every game I imagine that feels like 5 or 6 minutes.  That said, while LA's implosion makes it hard to evaluate him, I still don't think he's a player you want on your roster.

Anyway, enough of that, the RACE TO THE BOTTOM continues with a new contender.

27:  BUF -5

28:  NJD -10

29:  DET -10

30:  LAK -12

31:  OTT -16

EDIT:  Buffalo has 2 games remaining with Detroit.  Let's hope for some 3 point games in those contests.  Still, that is huge that someone has to win those games.

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 6

The funny thing is that the 28th - 31st teams have been kinda "hot" lately:  Kings have won 3 of 4, Wings have won 4 of 5, Sens have won 4 of 6, and the Devils have won a couple in a row.

The team that's beyond cold right now is the Sabres.  3-15-2 (just one regulation win) in their last 20.  I guess it shouldn't come as any great surprise how harshly things evened out for them, and that they're a latecomer to the bottom-of-the-barrel party...that 10-game winning streak that propelled them to a 17-6-2 start saw just 3 regulation wins, and that team has all of 19 regulation wins on the season.   Now 14-30-7 since that streak ended. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The funny thing is that the 28th - 31st teams have been kinda "hot" lately:  Kings have won 3 of 4, Wings have won 4 of 5, Sens have won 4 of 6, and the Devils have won a couple in a row.

The team that's beyond cold right now is the Sabres.  3-15-2 (just one regulation win) in their last 20.  I guess it shouldn't come as any great surprise how harshly things evened out for them, and that they're a latecomer to the bottom-of-the-barrel party...that 10-game winning streak that propelled them to a 17-6-2 start saw just 3 regulation wins, and that team has all of 19 regulation wins on the season.   Now 14-30-7 since that streak ended. 

Friday's game against the Wings is essentially a 4-point game at this point.  We need to outright lose lol.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Friday's game against the Wings is essentially a 4-point game at this point.  We need to outright lose lol.

Would have been a great game to play kinkaid!! Worried about our goaltending being not bad enough (upside-down world).  

Call me crazy, but even at this stage of the season, I'm still of the mindset where I'm not upset if we lose because I know it's helping our off-season and future, but I'm still not upset if we win either.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Call me crazy, but even at this stage of the season, I'm still of the mindset where I'm not upset if we lose because I know it's helping our off-season and future, but I'm still not upset if we win either.  

Can’t say you’re crazy because of that. Might be the only post you’ve made that I can’t say that. 

;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hopefully Detroit can win easily against the Sabres tnight so that they are not too tired to beat us tomorrow...

• Like 1

hope we lose every game except the ranger game Monday.. I don't care what the scenario is, never want to lose to them. plus I'm going to be there

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

hopefully Detroit can win easily against the Sabres tnight so that they are not too tired to beat us tomorrow...

Well, wasnt easy but at least they won in OT 

Now in third place and LA could pull within one point of us with a win tonight.

Can’t we  still make a trade with Columbus to get Kinkaid back for the last few games, as it only prevents whoever gets traded from playing in the playoffs?  Barring that, Cory and Mac need to go on a week long jack and crack bender.

9 hours ago, Daniel said:

Barring that, Cory and Mac need to go on a week long jack and crack bender.

Sneak into their equipment bag and reverse the orientation of their gloves. Let’s see how good they are with the blocker and catching gloves on the wrong hands!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Los Angeles didn't win but they still got a point. 

LA now 3-1-1 in their last 5.  They score a third-period goal to tie the game up before losing in the shootout.

Detroit now 5-1 in their last 6, after winning in OT. 

Fact is that no one is tanking.  Teams are playing the games and doing what professional athletes are supposed to...try to win each game and then see where they wind up.  No one is outright throwing games to try to improve their draft position, and that's how it should be. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

LA now 3-1-1 in their last 5.  They score a third-period goal to tie the game up before losing in the shootout.

Detroit now 5-1 in their last 6, after winning in OT. 

Fact is that no one is tanking.  Teams are playing the games and doing what professional athletes are supposed to...try to win each game and then see where they wind up.  No one is outright throwing games to try to improve their draft position, and that's how it should be. 

Except for tonight, right?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Crisis said:

Except for tonight, right?

Ugh PLEASEEEEE. I am not really on the tank train...but with this many games left....I guess, yea, I am. I love hitting that lottery sim and watching how often NJ is in that top 2.

2 hours ago, devlman said:

Who owns the tie breaker between us and LA?

Right now we have more ROW, god knows by the end of the season.

As for the greater number of points earned in games between them... we won a game 6-3 and they won 5-1. So we're tied.

then it's the greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season... we are -49 and they are -59

So yeah... if they could just have more points than us it would make things a lot simpler basically..

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Right now we have more ROW, god knows by the end of the season.

As for the greater number of points earned in games between them... we won a game 6-3 and they won 5-1. So we're tied.

then it's the greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season... we are -49 and they are -59

So yeah... if they could just have more points than us it would make things a lot simpler basically..

We could just have a tiebreaker game. Loser take all.

7 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Sneak into their equipment bag and reverse the orientation of their gloves. Let’s see how good they are with the blocker and catching gloves on the wrong hands!!!

Hah, just said this in the GDT

49 minutes ago, Toasterleavins said:

Hah, just said this in the GDT

That's because its a great idea!

Doing this on a phone sucks, but I'm committed.

26: ANA, BUF -5

28: DET -8

29: NJD -11

30: LAK -12

Ottawa is out of reach here.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2019 at 5:19 PM, NJDfan1711 said:

Well it helps and it doesn't.  Sure the loss last night was potentially great for draft positioning and the Rangers winning was an actual added bonus (yuck) but what exactly FROM last night's game would give anyone any warm and fuzzies about the team next year?  This is why I never get all in on the tank, it's not like all these guys are going to be gone.  You kind of need some of them to be part of the solution, especially after FOUR YEARS of the 'rebuild'.

The young forwards who didn't score against a mediocre team are still gonna be here.  Most of this defense that's crap is still gonna be here.  Other than Blackwood what from any of these recent games are worth pointing to and saying yeah that's a great sign for our future?  Zacha having a few good games?  LOL, call me when he actually sustains it for more than a week or two.  Nico and Bratt are already mostly established.  We have them and still stink, we need a lot more than that or any pick this offseason.  

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2