Sign in to follow this  
Triumph

Race To The Bottom II - 2018-19 Edition

1 hour ago, EdgeControl said:

I Dont want to lose tonight, going to the game .. hopefully there wont be many blue shirts in the seats

1 hour ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

same here, win tonight and then feel free to lose the remaining games

I always love beating the Rags, but pulling a draft lotto win and drafting a player that could make NJ a nightmare to play against again sounds like a great consolation prize if they do lose.

7 hours ago, Derlique said:

A Rangers win in regulation tonight would lock us into 3rd worst record (at worst). Not to mention it would hurt NYR's draft odds

Edit: never mind. Buffalo really sucks

Now 3-17-3 in their last 23 GP.  One regulation win. 

Though there's some complaints any time the Devils either dare to win a game or their opposition dares not to beat them, other teams in contention for that top pick really did a hell of a lot better than the Devils down the stretch...some records over the last 15 games for some teams:

Kings:  6-7-2  (14 points)

Red Wings:  8-6-1  (17 points)

Sens:  6-8-1  (13 points, though obviously they're just f*cked, no possible nice way to say it)

Sabres:  1-12-2  (4 points...Sweet Jesus)

Devils:  4-9-2 (10 points...considering how good Mac and Cory have been of late in many of their games, kinda miraculous that the Devils' record isn't a little better.  Also kinda sad.  Less than a week and this is finally over.  Can't come soon enough.)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Flames apparently sitting a lot of players tonight vs the Kings.  Hopefully that leads to another two points for LA (they're 4-1-1 in their last six). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 3

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Flames apparently sitting a lot of players tonight vs the Kings.  Hopefully that leads to another two points for LA (they're 4-1-1 in their last six). 

Yeah Calgary wrapped up their division and home ice through the West last night, so they’ll probably be resting guys a lot these next couple games.

• Like 2

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah Calgary wrapped up their division and home ice through the West last night, so they’ll probably be resting guys a lot these next couple games.

Funny thing is when you're enjoying a "Everything's going right" season like Calgary, it wouldn't surprise me if their version of an "A-/B" team takes care of business as though nothing's changed.  You see that sometimes.  Hopefully not. 

LA has to go to Arizona tomorrow night, and it's a game Arizona desperately has to have.  So kinda feels like tonight's a "must win" for them, as far as the Devils trying to sneak into the #30 spot goes. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Funny thing is when you're enjoying a "Everything's going right" season like Calgary, it wouldn't surprise me if their version of an "A-/B" team takes care of business as though nothing's changed.  You see that sometimes.  Hopefully not. 

LA has to go to Arizona tomorrow night, and it's a game Arizona desperately has to have.  So kinda feels like tonight's a "must win" for them, as far as the Devils trying to sneak into the #30 spot goes. 

I just saw that Tampa, on the other hand, will not be resting anyone this week. I guess they wanna keep the momentum going and not chance a stall of any kind heading into the first round.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I just saw that Tampa, on the other hand, will not be resting anyone this week. I guess they wanna keep the momentum going and not chance a stall of any kind heading into the first round.

Don't blame them...they will get crucified if they don't win it all this year (or reach the SCF at the very least). 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Don't blame them...they will get crucified if they don't win it all this year (or reach the SCF at the very least). 

Devils fans have to be major "anyone but Tampa" fans this year, right? If I remember correctly, the Rangers get a 1st round pick if they win it all this year (and a 2nd if they don't)?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If they don’t win it all this year, they may never win it. It’s their Cup to lose.

Just now, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Devils fans have to be major "anyone but Tampa" fans this year, right? If I remember correctly, the Rangers get a 1st round pick if they win it all this year (and a 2nd if they don't)?

Oh sh!t yeah I kinda remember that...yikes...

1 minute ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Even holding aside the Rangers aspect, I could never root for Tampa. I'll join the "anyone but Tampa" crew, and I will add a "preferably not the Islanders either". 

1 minute ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

As pissed as I am after last year, we weren't expected to win at all, you could make the argument that even getting one win in the series was lucky enough, so it's hard to really be too bent about that or have much of a grudge.  I suppose the Kuch hit on Vatanen still stings.  I have a much softer spot for them though - as most know, I'm only an hour away, and I've been here for so long that they're basically my 2nd favorite team.  Beyond all that, it's been fun watching their dominance this season, though it's always fun watching someone pull of a miracle upset too.  But yeah, the entire city will pretty much be devastated if they don't win it all this year, and I can't say I blame them.  No one has been in their league all season.

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

If they don’t win it all this year, they may never win it. It’s their Cup to lose.

Essentially this. 

I've said it a few times, but I kind of feel that a lot of the fans around this area who didn't see the Cup win in 04 may get disinterested and/or frustrated and turned off if they don't win it all this year.  They were close last year and let it slip away to the Caps. I think in some ways it was similar to what happened to us in 01.  Even though we had won the year before in 00, it felt like we were the best team in 01 and let it slip away like the Bolts did last year, and getting the win in 03 was sort of our revenge, at least to me.  I know a lot of people still hate what happened in 01, and so do I, but I was able to put a lot of that behind me once we won in 03.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Essentially this. 

I've said it a few times, but I kind of feel that a lot of the fans around this area who didn't see the Cup win in 04 may get disinterested and/or frustrated and turned off if they don't win it all this year.  They were close last year and let it slip away to the Caps. I think in some ways it was similar to what happened to us in 01.  Even though we had won the year before in 00, it felt like we were the best team in 01 and let it slip away like the Bolts did last year, and getting the win in 03 was sort of our revenge, at least to me.  I know a lot of people still hate what happened in 01, and so do I, but I was able to put a lot of that behind me once we won in 03.  

01 will go with me to my grave. We blew a shot to repeat, and we were the better team. That’s always gonna be the one that got away for me. 2003 definitely made up for it, but missing out on a chance to go back-to-back will always stick in my craw. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

I was already a major anyone but Tampa fan after the way they played us in the playoffs. I hope they get swept in the first round, fvck them.

I don't want the Islanders winning either, can't stand that fan base. Would like to see them get swept too.

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I was already a major anyone but Tampa fan after the way they played us in the playoffs. I hope they get swept in the first round, fvck them.

I don't want the Islanders winning either, can't stand that fan base. Would like to see them get swept too.

Last year's playoffs against them still leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.  Some of their plays were so totally uncalled for.  What were they trying to prove?  They acted like real bullies, and then they got schooled by the Caps.

Edited by aclc79
  • Like 1

I hated losing in the playoffs but I guess I’m in the minority that doesn’t hold much negativity towards them. The kucherov hit was borderline, but it was a playoff series and if that was the grossest thing to come out of it? Pretty tame. 

I was more angry at our team than I was at Tampa. We got pushed around like kindergarteners on the play ground and had very little fight back except for Game 3. 

Hedman spearing Nico in the balls was what bothered me the most. Totally bush league for one of the best defenseman in the league to do that to a rookie. And fvck his fake apology. 

• Like 6

Well said!

5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Hedman spearing Nico in the balls was what bothered me the most. Totally bush league for one of the best defenseman in the league to do that to a rookie. And fvck his fake apology. 

2 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

01 will go with me to my grave. We blew a shot to repeat, and we were the better team. That’s always gonna be the one that got away for me. 2003 definitely made up for it, but missing out on a chance to go back-to-back will always stick in my craw. 

to make it worst it was against Roy... ugh.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Given that he wasn’t injured, there’s a certain amount of humor in a nut shot. Not for the recipient. 

Edited by mfitz804

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

to make it worst it was against Roy... ugh.....

Yeah Roy outplaying Marty and all the Bourque garbage made it even worse. I wish I could burn that series from my memory and just think it never happened. 

Bad night for the tank.  Glad I didn't stay up to watch the 3rd of the LA-CGY game although I would've turned it off after the 4th goal.

27:  BUF, DET -7

29:  NJD -10

30:  LAK -12

The Devils have now clinched finishing ahead of the Senators.  Sportsclubstats gives the Devils a 72% chance of finishing in 29th.

15 hours ago, Nicomo said:

We should've absolutely gone McSorley over Kucherov's head in that series. It should've been ordered by the coach. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, '7' said:

We should've absolutely gone McSorley over Kucherov's head in that series. It should've been ordered by the coach. 

It wasn’t 1995 so that wasn’t happening.