GDT: Lou vs Devils 7:00 @ The Rock

Jerzey

23 minutes ago, NewarkDevil5 said:

Bobby Holik was the leading scorer on those teams and in his very best years he never broke 30 goals and his highest point total was 65 points. None of the players you brought up are leading the Islanders. I'll give credit where credit's due. They're doing extremely well in a year that they lost their franchise player to free agency and I tip my hat to them.

That's your prerogative and that's fine but don't tell me to "step away from the ledge" when I post two minutes after a loss. I don't respect the Islanders and they will be exposed come playoff time but it's irrelevant to the greater thing at stake here which is the fact that it's good that we lost. Unfortunately we got a loser point but whatever. Just feel bad for Cory 

6 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Is this some sort of record? 

We had part of this discussion a month or so ago, I think it was CR and myself mostly going back and forth sharing stats, and I think he found something that showed a goalie years back (70s or 80s I think) we something like 25 or 30 games without a win.  Doesn't really surprise me, considering how bad some of the teams were, and the fact that there were less teams in general.  Nowadays there's double or triple the amount of teams, and more chances to win.  I don't think 0-16-3 is the worst winless streak for a goalie of all-time, but it's probably the worst in the last 25 years.

• Like 1

Meh, just like I felt for KK the other night, I felt for Cory last night.  Guy just cannot catch a friggin' break, EVER...yeah, he's been largely awful for quite a while now, but I was damn near PLEADING with these guys to find a way to get him one damned win...he deserved one last night.  And of course they can't make it happen...you just knew it was only a matter of time, especially in the shootout...that could've lasted 10 rounds and the Devils wouldn't have put one home.  As exhilarating as last year's team was, this year's team is equally infuriating.  And I can see how that's manifesting itself into the things I notice.  Like John Hynes apparently having exactly ONE facial expression, no matter what's going on. 

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

We had part of this discussion a month or so ago, I think it was CR and myself mostly going back and forth sharing stats, and I think he found something that showed a goalie years back (70s or 80s I think) we something like 25 or 30 games without a win.  Doesn't really surprise me, considering how bad some of the teams were, and the fact that there were less teams in general.  Nowadays there's double or triple the amount of teams, and more chances to win.  I don't think 0-16-3 is the worst winless streak for a goalie of all-time, but it's probably the worst in the last 25 years.

Michel Belhumeur of the 1974-75 and 1975-76 Capitals...poor guy went 0-29-4 in two seasons with those teams.  As a team, those Caps won 19 out of 160 games.  Jesus H...

Jeff Hackett went 0-20-2 back in 1992-93 (as a Shark) and into 1993-94 (as a Blackhawk).   That was part of a stretch he endured where he went 3-36-6 overall...amazing that didn't kill him (he played another 350 games over nine more season). 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Meh, just like I felt for KK the other night, I felt for Cory last night.  Guy just cannot catch a friggin' break, EVER...yeah, he's been largely awful for quite a while now, but I was damn near PLEADING with these guys to find a way to get him one damned win...he deserved one last night.  And of course they can't make it happen...you just knew it was only a matter of time, especially in the shootout...that could've lasted 10 rounds and the Devils wouldn't have put one home.  As exhilarating as last year's team was, this year's team is equally infuriating.  And I can see how that's manifesting itself into the things I notice.  Like John Hynes apparently having exactly ONE facial expression, no matter what's going on. 

Michel Belhumeur of the 1974-75 and 1975-76 Capitals...poor guy went 0-29-4 in two seasons with those teams.  As a team, those Caps won 19 out of 160 games.  Jesus H...

Jeff Hackett went 0-20-2 back in 1992-93 (as a Shark) and into 1993-94 (as a Blackhawk).   That was part of a stretch he endured where he went 3-36-6 overall...amazing that didn't kill him (he played another 350 games over nine more season). 

Hey, so I was right, exactly 25 years ago lol.  I have no idea who the hell Belhumeur is/was, and being that that was almost 45 years ago, I'll chalk that one up to being in different eras and not really as comparable to today.  Hackett on the other hand?  I absolutely remember him and that's pretty surprising that he was that bad in the early 90s.  Granted the Sharks were just entering the league and I remember they had some pretty awful seasons, but going winless for 22 games is still pretty impressive.

Step your game up Schneider! You have some work to do.

With still about 30 or so games left, and assuming Cory gets half of them, he could pretty easily pass Hackett's record by season's end.

• Like 1

Cory absolutely deserved that game last night. He looked like how he opened last season, steady smooth moments instead of the jerky almost panic like that has plagued him for over a year. Hell even the scrambles he either got where he needed to be or the defense amazingly enough backed him up. Of course, when two legs of the chair work on this team, the third vanishes. 

• Like 3

Cory plays out of his mind but still couldn't get the win because four of our schmuck skaters couldn't score in the shootout and with two of them completely missing the net.

If I was Cory I wouldn't blame him for absolutely trashing this team publicly.  Either they are not scoring for him like last night or they are scoring for him like in the Anaheim game but at the same time scoring 3 own-goals against him.

The only encouraging thing last night was the possibility of Cory getting more starts over Emoji-douche.

Oh and I am 100% done with the Mueller experiment after last night.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Keep him here for the rest of this season season to facilitate the tank, but absolutely agree that he needs to be gone next season.

Looks braindead out there 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Keep him here for the rest of this season season to facilitate the tank, but absolutely agree that he needs to be gone next season.

Looks braindead out there 

Watching him and Gryba as a pair was making me pine for John Moore, and I really could not stand John Moore.

Mueller is closing in on a franchise record number of games played without scoring a goal isn't he? You cant even say he's one dimensional because he is awful at the one dimension he is supposed to have... and nothing really needs to be said about Gryba or someone like Gabriel for that matter.

I know Quennville has the most TOI of any FWD in the NHL w/ 0 points still and McLeod is not tearing it up but the fact that they are in Binghamton while we watch these guys tells me that they are absolutely fine with tanking which is overall a good thing but seems to contradict everything they say publicly 

I guess my point is I really hope that the sh!t where Hynes is praising a Gabriel or Gryba after the game is just part of the facade rather than what they actually think 

53 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Cory plays out of his mind but still couldn't get the win because four of our schmuck skaters couldn't score in the shootout and with two of them completely missing the net.

If I was Cory I wouldn't blame him for absolutely trashing this team publicly.  Either they are not scoring for him like last night or they are scoring for him like in the Anaheim game but at the same time scoring 3 own-goals against him.

The only encouraging thing last night was the possibility of Cory getting more starts over Emoji-douche.

It makes me so happy that the bolded caught on, god I love this board

And yeah, Mueller is a bust, looked good last year, broke his collar bone, then looked alright. Started this year bad, got better, now is trash. It kills me how bad our defense is.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Steven M. said:

Watching him and Gryba as a pair was making me pine for John Moore, and I really could not stand John Moore.

Mueller is closing in on a franchise record number of games played without scoring a goal isn't he? You cant even say he's one dimensional because he is awful at the one dimension he is supposed to have... and nothing really needs to be said about Gryba or someone like Gabriel for that matter.

I know Quennville has the most TOI of any FWD in the NHL w/ 0 points still and McLeod is not tearing it up but the fact that they are in Binghamton while we watch these guys tells me that they are absolutely fine with tanking which is overall a good thing but seems to contradict everything they say publicly 

I guess my point is I really hope that the sh!t where Hynes is praising a Gabriel or Gryba after the game is just part of the facade rather than what they actually think 

It is 100%. I can't think of any rational reason or benefit they'd come right out and say they're tanking. Half these kids will be here next year still, if you're Hynes you cannot exude a defeatist loser mentality, that sh!t spreads like the plague, look at Edmonton.

Keep the facade of constantly trying to make improvements, stay competitive, keep the intensity up, even if it's all bullsh!t. Praise the physical elements guys like Gabriel or Gryba bring, not because they're great players, but because you want the kids to keep the intensity up and not lose hope (and grit guys are usually pretty popular in locker rooms). Rinse and repeat. 

The decisions, micro and macro, we've made in the last month or two are such clear evidence that we're in full-on tank mode. The Boyle trade and Blackwood in the AHL should have sealed the deal in understanding that.

Edited by DJ Eco

Everyone trashing Mueller, don't forget, he's still only 23 years old. He's being relied on to a play a pretty big role at that age, averaging almost 19 minutes TOI on the season. 

He's the exact same age as Santini, who we don't rake over the coals as much, and we aren't so doom and gloom about. He's younger than both Butcher and Severson. He's obviously not good enough yet, but our whole team has been dogsh!t this year, he's not exception, but as a defenseman, he's still so young, I never close the book on 23 year old d-men.

2 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Everyone trashing Mueller, don't forget, he's still only 23 years old. He's being relied on to a play a pretty big role at that age, averaging almost 19 minutes TOI on the season. 

He's the exact same age as Santini, who we don't rake over the coals as much, and we aren't so doom and gloom about. He's younger than both Butcher and Severson. He's obviously not good enough yet, but our whole team has been dogsh!t this year, he's not exception, but as a defenseman, he's still so young, I never close the book on 23 year old d-men.

I see plenty of criticism for Santini. And rightly so. He’s terrible. 

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

The delay of game penalty for the shot over the glass pretty much ended it for me. Although, to his credit, he did hustle really hard the rest of the game after that, like he was going to make up for it. 

The Coleman gaffe allowing the Barzal breakaway was way worse. I don't care how hard the coach is calling for you to come off (and I have no proof they were, but people have mentioned it), you don't abandon a guy like Barzal right in front of your blue line when his team has the puck. 

It showed a remarkable lack of awareness and was very unlike the Coleman we've all come to know. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Hey, so I was right, exactly 25 years ago lol.  I have no idea who the hell Belhumeur is/was, and being that that was almost 45 years ago, I'll chalk that one up to being in different eras and not really as comparable to today.  Hackett on the other hand?  I absolutely remember him and that's pretty surprising that he was that bad in the early 90s.  Granted the Sharks were just entering the league and I remember they had some pretty awful seasons, but going winless for 22 games is still pretty impressive.

Step your game up Schneider! You have some work to do.

With still about 30 or so games left, and assuming Cory gets half of them, he could pretty easily pass Hackett's record by season's end.

1974-75 was the year both the Kansas City Scouts and the Washington Capitals broke into the league.  The 1974-75 Caps will be remembered for two things:  1) wearing white pants shells (when it almost immediately became apparent that game action caused them to be discolored rather quickly, they were ditched), and 2) for quite possibly being THE worst team ever to play in the NHL.  They finished with a record of 8-67-5 and were outscored 446 - 181.  They beat the fellow bottom-feeder California Golden Seals twice and the Scouts once, and managed to beat a pretty good Rangers team (by a score of 7-4), and a decent Blackhawks team that finished over .500.  But can't imagine watching a team win exactly 10% of its games over an 80-game schedule.  Yikes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

1974-75 was the year both the Kansas City Scouts and the Washington Capitals broke into the league.  The 1974-75 Caps will be remembered for two things:  1) wearing white pants shells (when it almost immediately became apparent that game action caused them to be discolored rather quickly, they were ditched), and 2) for quite possibly being THE worst team ever to play in the NHL.  They finished with a record of 8-67-5 and were outscored 446 - 181.  They beat the fellow bottom-feeder California Golden Seals twice and the Scouts once, and managed to beat a pretty good Rangers team (by a score of 7-4), and a decent Blackhawks team that finished over .500.  But can't imagine watching a team win exactly 10% of its games over an 80-game schedule.  Yikes.

Yeah, that's downright awful.  I knew of the Caps and their abysmal season that year, just didn't have a clue who Belhumeur was.  I guess we can hang our hat on the fact that we're not that bad.

1 minute ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah, that's downright awful.  I knew of the Caps and their abysmal season that year, just didn't have a clue who Belhumeur was.  I guess we can hang our hat on the fact that we're not that bad.

I don't even know how possible it is to assemble a team that bad.  Even if you're purposely trying to put together a complete dumpster fire, you're probably guaranteed at least 20 wins in today's NHL.  The 1992-93 Sharks actually managed to lose more games than those '74-75 Caps (to be fair, their schedule was 84 games and not 80)...they went 11-71-2.  Included in that season was a 1-32-1 stretch (OT losses were counted the same as regulation losses back then...in the current format, they would've on the hook for "only" 29 regulation losses during that run from hell).  Amazingly, those Sharks were undefeated at one point...they started off 1-0-0 after an OT win to launch their season. 

6 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The 1992-93 Sharks actually managed to lose more games than those '74-75 Caps (to be fair, their schedule was 84 games and not 80)...they went 11-71-2.  Included in that season was a 1-32-1 stretch (OT losses were counted the same as regulation losses back then...in the current format, they would've on the hook for "only" 29 regulation losses during that run from hell).  Amazingly, those Sharks were undefeated at one point...they started off 1-0-0 after an OT win to launch their season. 

Worst team in hockey but #1 in jersey sales that year I would bet...

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I don't even know how possible it is to assemble a team that bad.  Even if you're purposely trying to put together a complete dumpster fire, you're probably guaranteed at least 20 wins in today's NHL.  The 1992-93 Sharks actually managed to lose more games than those '74-75 Caps (to be fair, their schedule was 84 games and not 80)...they went 11-71-2.  Included in that season was a 1-32-1 stretch (OT losses were counted the same as regulation losses back then...in the current format, they would've on the hook for "only" 29 regulation losses during that run from hell).  Amazingly, those Sharks were undefeated at one point...they started off 1-0-0 after an OT win to launch their season. 

Brutal expansion draft rules is my guess.  Plus with the way player contracts worked back then it was hard to get the top tier talent if you already didn't have it outside the draft.  Plus no cap so the powerhouse teams were stacked while the garbage teams were...well garbage.