Opinion on Damon Severson

Jerrydevil

He’s not in the top 4 for a team like Nashville.  But he would be on a bunch of playoff caliber teams.  

From what you hear from Friedman, he’s a desirable asset around the league and we have him on a long term deal at slightly above what the average salary is.  So he’s a valuable player.

Yeah, no issues with Severson really.  He has his weak points and deficiencies, but I think there's way more upside and he brings more good than bad.  Plus, he's still pretty young.  When I think of issues on this team and things I want changed or improved, his name isn't close to coming to mind.

His offensive game really needs to be "on" to make up for his deficiency's at actually playing defense... The infuriating part about Severson to me is not only his decision making in the defensive zone but he seemingly wont engage defensively and/or physically in front of his own net. There just isn't enough effort, and every once in a blue moon he shows you he is capable of it. He's still young so hopefully it changes.

*willing to admit I may be slightly bias'd against severson due to the advanced stat crowd, but I think my overall take is fairly accurate*

I personally think this has been Damon's best season in the NHL, sure he has the occasional defensive gaff but that's really just the kind of defenseman he is, you're gonna have to deal with that once in a while. Personally, I think in broad strokes, he's been one of our more reliable defensemen in our own zone and he's easily our most dangerous defenseman as a goal scoring threat. I really like me some Damon Severson, I think he's part of the solution here. There's a lot of teams that would kill to have a young, mobile, right shot defenseman with term on an affordable contract.

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:08 AM, CommonDreads said:

I personally think this has been Damon's best season in the NHL, sure he has the occasional defensive gaff but that's really just the kind of defenseman he is, you're gonna have to deal with that once in a while. Personally, I think in broad strokes, he's been one of our more reliable defensemen in our own zone and he's easily our most dangerous defenseman as a goal scoring threat. I really like me some Damon Severson, I think he's part of the solution here. There's a lot of teams that would kill to have a young, mobile, right shot defenseman with term on an affordable contract.

Spot on.

On 2/22/2019 at 9:08 AM, CommonDreads said:

Agree with this assessment. I also think he has shown more consistency this year and the coaching staff seems to agree since he hasn't gotten any scratcherson punishments this year. He doesn't make the high risk mistake as much as he has in the past and I have noticed that since the new year he seems to be one of the guys busting it night in and night out for all 3 periods. I haven't seen him slacking off like you might expect from someone who used to have some question marks about his mental makeup. Ideally I hope for him to become a leader as the young defense comes up. A Smith-Severson pairing for years to come could be nice.