2019 Trade Deadline Thread

NJDfan1711

6 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

A lot of rumbles from the various TSN-related podcasts that the Devils might be one of those teams interested in offer-sheeting certain players come the offseason.

I'll believe it when I see it, honestly.  But we're kinda sorta in a position to do so..

Depending on the player, I wouldn’t mind. Though aren’t those things rarely if ever successful?

57 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Depending on the player, I wouldn’t mind. Though aren’t those things rarely if ever successful?

It is def a risk considering the compensation. NJ could bottomfeeder out again next year and Ottawa the draft. We'd all be pissed to watch another team have our top 5 pick.

As much as it would be sexy to land someone like a Marner or Laine, the price it would take to land those guys would likely force us to give up four 1st's as compensation. If we are the "offer sheet" team this summer like some are saying, I think the better play is for someone like Kyle Connor or Kasperi Kapanen who we could likely lock up into a contract that would only cost a 2nd or just one 1st to sign.

Jacob Trouba would also be awesome to get in an offer sheet, but I really think we could use another bonafide top 6 option.

• Like 1

As much as the idea of offer-sheeting seems like a cool “outside the box” way of thinking, it seems like a waste of time...I’d have to look it up, but doesn’t the team with the right to match usually just do that anyway?

I know the Blues coughed up five firsts for Stevens way back when...I also remember that the Caps didn’t really do all that well with those firsts.  Going off the top of my head, but I think Gonchar and (to a much lesser extent) Witt were the only two to pan out.  

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As much as the idea of offer-sheeting seems like a cool “outside the box” way of thinking, it seems like a waste of time...I’d have to look it up, but doesn’t the team with the right to match usually just do that anyway?

I know the Blues coughed up five firsts for Stevens way back when...I also remember that the Caps didn’t really do all that well with those firsts.  Going off the top of my head, but I think Gonchar and (to a much lesser extent) Witt were the only two to pan out.  

I have the same understanding. And, I would add, with the potential to be pretty bad for a while, I don’t know that I’d be giving up multiple first round picks for one player at this point. 

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean I think the idea is the team wouldn't have a choice due to salary cap restrictions.

I'm thinking less Marner, more Kapanen.  The compensation isn't outrageous (multiple 1sts) for a guy in that tier.

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I mean I think the idea is that the Leafs simply couldn't due to being up against the cap after signing Marner.

Edited by Devilsfan118

7 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think if we were to offer sheet Kasperi Kapanen to something in the neighborhood of $4.5M or $5M, Toronto wouldn't have the capacity to match with how tight they are against the cap. Same story with Winnipeg, it's the combination of having good RFAs available with their teams being up against the cap that I think actually makes an offer sheet feasible this summer.

If the Leafs don't find a way to move out Nikita Zaitsev at the draft, they're going to leave themselves very vulnerable. They're gonna need that money as offer sheet insurance.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I think if we were to offer sheet Kasperi Kapanen to something in the neighborhood of $4.5M or $5M, Toronto wouldn't have the capacity to match with how tight they are against the cap. Same story with Winnipeg, it's the combination of having good RFAs available with their teams being up against the cap that I think actually makes an offer sheet feasible this summer.

If the Leafs don't find a way to move out Nikita Zaitsev at the draft, they're going to leave themselves very vulnerable. They're gonna need that money as offer sheet insurance.

14 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I'm thinking less Marner, more Kapanen.  The compensation isn't outrageous (multiple 1sts) for a guy in that tier.

Yeah, those kinds of guys I’d consider taking a shot at, especially with all of the picks we now have in our pocket. 

• Like 1

I don't know about Kapanen, but in the case of Laine and maybe Marner to a lesser degree, why would they necessarily want to come here even if we did present them with an offer sheet?  Obviously it's more money, but if they're happy with their teams in general (and where they live), and both those teams being better than us at the moment, I can't see them being too happy about us essentially screwing over their current team and essentially backing them into a corner.   If those guys hit the open market they'd undoubetedly get multiple offers, likely at full ask and term, so if we were to do this by means of an offer sheet, I just can't see their reaction being "Yay" when they're informed by their GM.

I think we can’t worry so much about why guys would want to come here. There’s nothing we can do about that, other than present our case and make the offer. If they don’t take it, then that’s on them. 

If we don’t offer, that’s on us. 

That being said, I maintain the same position about giving up four 1sts for one player. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think we can’t worry so much about why guys would want to come here. There’s nothing we can do about that, other than present our case and make the offer. If they don’t take it, then that’s on them. 

If we don’t offer, that’s on us. 

That being said, I maintain the same position about giving up four 1sts for one player. 

There's very few players that I would give up four 1st's for. Don't think Marner is one of them, Laine might be though because I really do see him as the guy Ovechkin is going to pass the torch to in regards to being the best goal scorer in the league. The thought of having Laine receiving passes from Taylor Hall, Nico Hischier, and Ty Smith on our powerplay for the next decade is so damn enticing.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't know about Kapanen, but in the case of Laine and maybe Marner to a lesser degree, why would they necessarily want to come here even if we did present them with an offer sheet?  Obviously it's more money, but if they're happy with their teams in general (and where they live), and both those teams being better than us at the moment, I can't see them being too happy about us essentially screwing over their current team and essentially backing them into a corner.   If those guys hit the open market they'd undoubetedly get multiple offers, likely at full ask and term, so if we were to do this by means of an offer sheet, I just can't see their reaction being "Yay" when they're informed by their GM.

I mean if Toronto tells Marner "you're not getting Matthews money" and we.. well, offer Matthews money.. you never know.

And a guy like Laine has had a rough year - maybe he'd welcome a way out.  Plus living in Winnipeg has to suck.

17 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I mean if Toronto tells Marner "you're not getting Matthews money" and we.. well, offer Matthews money.. you never know.

And a guy like Laine has had a rough year - maybe he'd welcome a way out.  Plus living in Winnipeg has to suck.

29 goals is a rough year? Sign me up!

17 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I don't see Marner leaving the Leafs unless he gets "fvck you" money and he isn't really worth that or the compensation.

Laine I could see being more willing to leave, especially to live in the NY area, but NJ sucks and that is going to make it a tough sell. I am not sure what Laine is like off the ice but isn't it rumored he is lazy? He would either have to shape up or him and Hynes are going to hate each other.

47 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

You understand the player has to sign the offer sheet, right? No one is putting a gun to their head if they’d rather stay where they are. 

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

You understand the player has to sign the offer sheet, right? No one is putting a gun to their head if they’d rather stay where they are. 

Yeah, but the other team has to match it in order to stay where they are, and for some teams they might not be able to do that, hence making it impossible for the player to remain where he is - that was the point.

4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah, but the other team has to match it in order to stay where they are, and for some teams they might not be able to do that, hence making it impossible for the player to remain where he is - that was the point.

The player knows that. The player wants to get paid. If you’re signing an offer sheet, you’re making it explicitly clear that you’re fine playing for the team with which you signed the offer sheet. 

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

The player knows that. The player wants to get paid. If you’re signing an offer sheet, you’re making it explicitly clear that you’re fine playing for the team with which you signed the offer sheet. 

Yeah I suppose.  I just feel like it's kind of a bold move, and while not putting a gun to the head, still sort of forcing the player's hand.  

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah I suppose.  I just feel like it's kind of a bold move, and while not putting a gun to the head, still sort of forcing the player's hand.  

No one is forcing a player’s hand when the player is the one voluntarily signing the offer sheet. The player is forcing his team’s hand, if anything.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

No one is forcing a player’s hand when the player is the one voluntarily signing the offer sheet. The player is forcing his team’s hand, if anything.

Yup. Player isn’t forced in any way, At least no more so than any other player that a team can’t afford because of salary cap concerns.

• Like 1