Habs @ NJD

Devils01

17 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think everyone is just joking around and fully understands the situation. 

Yeah, this.  Don’t think anyone has any quibble with how the deadline and the days leading up to it were handled by Shero.  Devils absolutely should’ve been sellers, and Shero got some fine returns.  Lots of flexibility with all of those extra picks.  I don’t see how he could’ve done any better, given the bodies he moved.  I guess full-on tankers might have preferred KK stay through the end of the year, but I like that Blackwood will get more of a look with the big club now.  Not like he deserved to get sent back to Bingo, but the situation was what it was.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Not make "all-in moves" pushing for the playoffs and the "once you're in anything can happen" non-sense. 

Absolutely nobody is defining “tank” that way. 

7 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I think everyone is just joking around and fully understands the situation. 

There are definitely a significant number of people here who are not joking. 

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah, this.  Don’t think anyone has any quibble with how the deadline and the days leading up to it were handled by Shero.  Devils absolutely should’ve been sellers, and Shero got some fine returns.  Lots of flexibility with all of those extra picks.  I don’t see how he could’ve done any better, given the bodies he moved.  I guess full-on tankers might have preferred KK stay through the end of the year, but I like that Blackwood will get more of a look with the big club now.  Not like he deserved to get sent back to Bingo, but the situation was what it was.

Not what I’m saying at all. People haven’t been talking about tanking the last few months as an expression of how they wanted Ray to handle trades at the deadline. I agree it was handled the right way, he did what he had to do. 

This will become clearer in the upcoming days, as people continue to talk about what we need to do to tank. Bottom line is, if you are in favor of it, you got what you wanted. An AHL lineup at the NHL level.

But what you got is 2 goals and 4 assists from guys who played significant time (or more) in the minors this year. If you’re continuing to root for your team to lose, I don’t understand what you’re a fan of, but it ain’t hockey. 

50 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Not what I’m saying at all. People haven’t been talking about tanking the last few months as an expression of how they wanted Ray to handle trades at the deadline. I agree it was handled the right way, he did what he had to do. 

This will become clearer in the upcoming days, as people continue to talk about what we need to do to tank. Bottom line is, if you are in favor of it, you got what you wanted. An AHL lineup at the NHL level.

But what you got is 2 goals and 4 assists from guys who played significant time (or more) in the minors this year. If you’re continuing to root for your team to lose, I don’t understand what you’re a fan of, but it ain’t hockey. 

some people understand you got to take a few steps back to take a step forward and some can't. We're still all fan of hockey

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

some people understand you got to take a few steps back to take a step forward and some can't. We're still all fan of hockey

Don't bother - mfitz loves dictating what we fans are allowed to do.  It's part of his schtik.

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

There’s a big difference between taking a few steps back and rooting for your team to lose. 

Not really.  If you want to keep watching meaningless hockey in February (hell, it was meaningless in 2018 to be honest), by all means root for Cory to go on a tear here at the end of the season.  

If we hold this pace (.500ish) through the rest of the year, odds are good on us drafting 7th or 8th.  Which, imo, would be a fvcking disaster after this embarrassment of a season.

1 minute ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Don't bother - mfitz loves dictating what we fans are allowed to do.  It's part of his schtik.

Not really.  If you want to keep watching meaningless hockey in February (hell, it was meaningless in 2018 to be honest), by all means root for Cory to go on a tear here at the end of the season.  

If we hold this pace (.500ish) through the rest of the year, odds are good on us drafting 7th or 8th.  Which, imo, would be a fvcking disaster after this embarrassment of a season.

I don’t dictate anything. I just offer my opinion that if you’re actively rooting against your team, you’re not a real fan. There’s a difference between knowing that losing might benefit the team and actively rooting for it. You’re free to disagree. I’m free to think you’re wrong. That’s the way it works. 

The other argument is just ridiculous, you draft based on how well or poorly you do. We’ve been bad but other teams have been worse. Drafting 7th or 8th when you’ve earned the 7th or 8th pick isn’t a “disaster”. 

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

There’s a big difference between taking a few steps back and rooting for your team to lose. 

I know without context that "on paper" it sounds bad to say you're rooting for your team to lose and i can guess how virtue signalling must be pushing such a feeling of superiority through your veins to be the ultimate fan who simply refuses to see his team getting hurt. 

Truth is people "rooting for their team to lose" are doing it cause that's what's best for the team and for the future, it sucks but it's really selfless. People rooting for their team to win even if it means hurting their chance at a better future are doing it for themselves cause they can't handle their emotions in the moment.

So who's the better fan here? It's always about the crest on the front, not about the name in the back.

It's truly like helicopter parents being crazy but saying they are doing it for the child's best interest... in reality it's because they can't handle to see their kids go through adversity, which is fully needed to their development. 

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t dictate anything. I just offer my opinion that if you’re actively rooting against your team, you’re not a real fan. There’s a difference between knowing that losing might benefit the team and actively rooting for it. You’re free to disagree. I’m free to think you’re wrong. That’s the way it works. 

The other argument is just ridiculous, you draft based on how well or poorly you do. We’ve been bad but other teams have been worse. Drafting 7th or 8th when you’ve earned the 7th or 8th pick isn’t a “disaster”. 

Yeah but drafting McDavid or Eichel vs drafting Zacha is one hell of a difference. It's nitpicking for the sake of the argument but I think it's still a very good example of why fans would prefer being in a position to draft the first 2

First, I don’t think you understand the “name on the back/crest on the front” analogy as it has no application to what we are talking about. 

Second, I am a fan of the game and I respect its integrity. You have no integrity if you intentionally try to lose. 

Third, everyone is ignoring the obvious. The tank is already in effect, because we are putting the worst possible lineup on the ice every night. All you guys are doing at this point is rooting for the team to lose. I can’t do that.  If you can, good for you. 

Fourth, obviously all teams want to draft as high as possible if they have a bad season. And yeah, drafting first or second is better, that’s not news to anyone. Intentionally losing to get there, in my opinion, is incredibly weak and demonstrates a complete lack of integrity. If you’re ok with that, that’s good for you as well. 

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

First, I don’t think you understand the “name on the back/crest on the front” analogy as it has no application to what we are talking about. 

Second, I am a fan of the game and I respect its integrity. You have no integrity if you intentionally try to lose. 

Third, everyone is ignoring the obvious. The tank is already in effect, because we are putting the worst possible lineup on the ice every night. All you guys are doing at this point is rooting for the team to lose. I can’t do that.  If you can, good for you. 

Fourth, obviously all teams want to draft as high as possible if they have a bad season. And yeah, drafting first or second is better, that’s not news to anyone. Intentionally losing to get there, in my opinion, is incredibly weak and demonstrates a complete lack of integrity. If you’re ok with that, that’s good for you as well. 

No i get it you just didn't get in in the context i was putting it, it basically means you gotta do wtv what's best for the team, not for yourself.

Well don't go around saying that we are not "real fans" because we are hoping for your team to get better as fast as possible. Like you're incredibly superior for not being able to accept it. Some people are able to see the big picture that's it

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

No i get it you just didn't get in in the context i was putting it, it basically means you gotta do wtv what's best for the team, not for yourself.

Well don't go around saying that we are not "real fans" because we are hoping for your team to get better as fast as possible. Like you're incredibly superior for not being able to accept it. Some people are able to see the big picture that's it

Well we’re fans, our name isn’t on the back of the jersey, so your analogy makes no sense. That analogy refers to players putting themselves above the team, you used it incorrectly. I’m sure it made sense to you. 

I’m not superior to anyone, and I have acknowledged several times understanding the “big picture” you are referring to. I have an opinion, it’s different than yours. I’m ok with that. 

18 minutes ago, ilzz89 said:

Seems like Bastian past his buddy McLeod on depth chart, seems like Mikey has some work to do

After one game, yes, but anything can happen. That said, I didn’t think McLeod looked promising at all. Hopefully that does not continue to be the case. 

30 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Well we’re fans, our name isn’t on the back of the jersey, so your analogy makes no sense. That analogy refers to players putting themselves above the team, you used it incorrectly. I’m sure it made sense to you. 

I’m not superior to anyone, and I have acknowledged several times understanding the “big picture” you are referring to. I have an opinion, it’s different than yours. I’m ok with that. 

it only makes no sense to you cause you don't want to understand it. I even explained it that as fan it's okay to wish for wtv results will be best for the best rather than the results that will make yourself feel good. It's pretty damn basic. 

• Like 1

A major positive is that there are now only like 3 games left this season that I really care about winning(PHL, NYR, NYR). The rest, whatever. Going to be a real slide in the sh!t to finish out this year to forget. Hopefully we cap it off with another great draft. I know Huges is supposed to be the best guy at the draft, but I would rather slide in at 2 or 3 and take Kakko just because, in the long run, I think he can be just as good + has size Huges doesn't and this team is desperate for a guy that can bring that kind of game and also back it up with some skill. If NJ manages another #1 pick I don't know if Shero and company can pass up Huges if he is still the projected #1.

Edited by NJDevils1214

22 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

After one game, yes, but anything can happen. That said, I didn’t think McLeod looked promising at all. Hopefully that does not continue to be the case. 

The one thing I didn't notice at all with McLeod last night that was concerning was his speed.    I kind of expected to see a smoother version of Wood out there.   I saw McLeod play in junior live once and he was so much faster than everyone else.   Looked like Mike Madano with his jersey flapping behind him.   Only problem was that he flubbed the puck a  bunch of times (in my one viewing).  It was like his hands couldn't keep up with his feet.   

i will say though that back in 2011 i was proud that the team never gave up, they sucked really bad but never gave up... finished like 7th or wtv and won the lottery, moved 4th and we got Larsson... and got us Hall.

So it's always great to see the guys playing well and seeing younger guys trying to impress the coaches for the upcoming season.

Same thing this year, i want Palms, Nico and all the boys to do well and i'd be pissed to see them not trying. But we're simply not talented enough so luckily we can see the boys go well and still lose lol

34 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

it only makes no sense to you cause you don't want to understand it. I even explained it that as fan it's okay to wish for wtv results will be best for the best rather than the results that will make yourself feel good. It's pretty damn basic. 

It’s very basic. It just doesn’t mean what you say it means. 

11 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Same thing this year, i want Palms, Nico and all the boys to do well and i'd be pissed to see them not trying. But we're simply not talented enough so luckily we can see the boys go well and still lose lol

Thats been my entire argument. You don’t have to tank when you already suck. If we lose, so be it.If we lose on purpose, that’s disgusting.

• Like 1

Missed the game but this is my two cents:

If Cory goes on a tear, gets himself back into the same mindset as when he got here, and we draft a little higher, I’ll take it.

We’ve got Cory for 4 more years at $6m. It’d be addition through doing nothing if he figures his game out and would be one less hole to fill in the lineup. It’s a nice run he’s got now, but he has to sustain the good numbers. 

Is Blackwood the answer? We don’t know but he was a nice break from the disaster earlier. And say he isn’t, but Cory gets his sh!t together, boom we can push that boulder down the road just a bit.

I’m not gonna sit here and pretend I know jack sh!t about any player in this draft other than Hughes and Kakko and that’s mostly by name only.

But as the Flyers know, if you can’t find a goalie you literally are not going anywhere.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jagknife said:

Missed the game but this is my two cents:

If Cory goes on a tear, gets himself back into the same mindset as when he got here, and we draft a little higher, I’ll take it.

We’ve got Cory for 4 more years at $6m. It’d be addition through doing nothing if he figures his game out and would be one less hole to fill in the lineup. It’s a nice run he’s got now, but he has to sustain the good numbers. 

Is Blackwood the answer? We don’t know but he was a nice break from the disaster earlier. And say he isn’t, but Cory gets his sh!t together, boom we can push that boulder down the road just a bit.

I’m not gonna sit here and pretend I know jack sh!t about any player in this draft other than Hughes and Kakko and that’s mostly by name only.

But as the Flyers know, if you can’t find a goalie you literally are not going anywhere.

I mean Cory Crawford is/was mediocre at best and he won like 3 cups with the Hawks. The rest of the team was built to make up for that. That proves you just need the right team.

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I hope you’re not suggesting that I’m advocating that my team purposely tank games.  Because I’ve never said that, ever. I go into every game rooting for the Devils to win...you think I spend the amount of money and time that I do taking my daughter to Devils games hoping that they’ll lose?!  I don’t.  Never will.  Not how I’m built as a fan, and I’ve made that clear on this site before.

The main point of my post (which was in response to DD56 and a little bit to SD by proxy...I wasn’t addressing anything you posted at all) was that I thought Shero assessed this team perfectly and made the right moves.  The one disagreement of any kind that I really had in my post was SD’s implication that some Devils fans may actually have preferred that Shero make a move or two to try to improve the 2018-19 team.  What’s funny is that Shero might have done that, even if he didn’t intend to...one can make the argument that Blackwood will be better in his starts than KK would have.  That’s why I mentioned pro-tankers likely not being happy that he’s not still here.  Like I said, I wanted to see Blackwood, so I look forward to seeing more of him.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I hope you’re not suggesting that I’m advocating that my team purposely tank games.  Because I’ve never said that, ever.

The main point of my post (which was in response to DD56 and a little bit to SD by proxy...I wasn’t addressing anything you posted at all)

Nope, wasn’t addressed to you at all. Sorry if I implied as such. 

• Like 1