Sign in to follow this  
CMONPETEYD

Debate: Devils vs. Flyers - Recent Drafting History

i'm too lazy to go and find it but @Triumph did a post years back where he looked at all the devils drafting from about '97 - 2014 or something like that and compared with what was available after and it basically showed that the NHL is a star driven league and the best teams always had 2-4 can't miss top 5 picks that drove their teams along with some gems in later rounds.

basically yeah, the devils didn't draft all that well and their philosophy for years of finding big tough players instead of skill was a fools errand - but there weren't THAT many mistakes where someone picked later would've been better.

On 3/4/2019 at 10:32 AM, CMONPETEYD said:

Hey guys - from a sheer drafting standpoint, i thought it would be interesting to take a look at the Devils vs Flyers Recent 1st rd  Drafting History.  Really it shows a few major misses and makes you wonder what could have been, especially with Lou and Conte running the ship.

Devils:  Ty Smith (17th Overall)

Flyers: Joel Farabee (14th Overall) & Jay O'Brien (19th Overall)

My Take:  Too early to tell, Smith looks great, but Farabee is having a great freshman season too!  (Incomplete)

Devils:  Nico Hischier (1st Overall)

Flyers:  Nolan Patrick (2nd Overall)

My Take:  Devils made the right choice here, but I truly believe this will be a 1a and 1b draft.   (+1 Devils).  

Note:  Boqvist in Rd 2 looks like the real deal.  Don't know about Isiah Radcliffe (but he has 47 goals in 59 games for Guelph)

Devils: MIke McLeod (12th Overall)

Flyers: German Rubtsov (22nd Overall)

My Take:  I am going to call this Incomplete as well, as both players are still too green.  McLeod needs some work, but where we drafted him 12th, he probably feels more like a player that would have been drafted 22nd like Rubtsov.  

Devils:  Pavel Zacha (6th Overall)

Flyers:  Ivan Provorov (7th Overall)

My Take:  Flyers get a double bonus on this one.  Our team would look very different with Provorov on the backline right now.  I still have hope for Zacha, but not the best choice here.    (+2 Flyers)

Devils: John Quennville (30th Overall)

Flyers:  Travis Sanheim (17th Overall)

My Take: Sanheim really starting to develop into a quality NHLer, something Quennville wouldn't.  This was part of the Kovalchuk Debacle, so I forget where the Devils would have picked here if the pick wasn't moved to 30th. (+1 Flyers)

Devils:  No Pick

Flyers: Samuel Morin (11th)

My Take:  Bust for Flyers, No Pick for Devils - No Contest

Devils: Stefan Matteau (29th Overall Pick)

Flyers:  Scott Laughton (20th Overall Pick)

My Take:  Matteau a nothing, Laughton is a servicable 3rd lind grinder.  (Flyers +1)

2011:

Devils:  Adam Larsson (5th Overall)

Flyers: Sean Couturier (8th Overall)

My Take:  Yes Larsson led to Hall which is great, but for the purposes of this, Couturier has developed into an awesome 2-way NHL Selke Type Forward.  Great Pick by the Flyers, and Larsson is nothing that the experts expected him to be.  His offense is much less than expectations were for him (+2 Flyers)

From 2011 - 2018 (With 2 INC Years): It is clear to me that the Flyers have eaten our lunch drafting in the first round.  I really think Lou and Conte did a horrible job using this as a comparison.  So Far Castron and Shero have righted the ship (from what we can see), but I believe it is going to take 2-3 more years to start seeing the fruits of these drafts, like the Flyers are seeing from 2011 - 2015 now.

Sorry for the long post, I've just been thinking about our drafting woes and watching some of the flyers kids develop has made me kind of envious!  I do believe in what Shero and Castron are doing with the kids.  It is just hard to watch with the injuries and stay patient with the kids who are still developing.

I am always curious to see what other like minded Devils fans think!

This is precisely why I chuckle every time the Lou Worshippers rip on Shero about his draft record and mock him for his days in Pittsburgh.  

we also knew McLeold wouldnt be much. I still remember during the draft... as soon as Jost was off the board... we knew there was a big big drop in talent and by the time we drafted McLeod i was already like mehhhh 

and a few guys like McAvoy or Chychrun doing well... i remember that nobody were bummed we didnt get them then. At that draft everyone was basically mocking Boston actually