GDT: Devils vs. Avalanche, 3/17/19, 3:00pm

mfitz804

4 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

It says a lot when the off season is going to be far more intersting than the regular season. I'm looking forward to the draft and to see who (or should that be if?) Shero signs in free agency.

And whats the big selling point Shero can use to draw free agents here besides money ?  What would be on the plus side of joining this team ?

5 minutes ago, hit the post said:

And whats the big selling point Shero can use to draw free agents here besides money ?  What would be on the plus side of joining this team ?

There isn’t much. When the best selling point people can come up with it “it’s near New York”, and there’s another team slightly less sh!tty that is actually in New York, that’s a bad situation. 

I guess there’s “it can be your team, we’ll build around you”, but who really cares about that anymore?

10 hours ago, hit the post said:

Never underestimate the pulling power of the almighty Dollar! Most players want a chance at the cup so they'd want to know your plans for other free agent signings and, I suspect, they'd want to know what prospects are coming through. Have to say I'd be interested to know how Shero is planning to persuade Hall to sign an extension. The team doesn't look like it's going to be a contender for a few seasons, the prospects in the team right now aren't setting the world alight and apart from Smith & Boqvist there probably aren't any top line prospects.

18 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Never underestimate the pulling power of the almighty Dollar! Most players want a chance at the cup so they'd want to know your plans for other free agent signings and, I suspect, they'd want to know what prospects are coming through. Have to say I'd be interested to know how Shero is planning to persuade Hall to sign an extension. The team doesn't look like it's going to be a contender for a few seasons, the prospects in the team right now aren't setting the world alight and apart from Smith & Boqvist there probably aren't any top line prospects.

As you intimated, they’re going to have to hope that Hall (and perhaps others) will view boatloads of available money as an incentive. I’m hoping that’s enough.

I always get more concerned when it’s a player that was traded here, also. He didn’t come here of his own free will. Maybe he really enjoys New Jersey, maybe ge’s just making the best out of his situation until his deal runs out and he can go elsewhere. 

We’ll know in July. The longer he goes without an extension, the less likely he will return. I expect that Shero is going to offer him a gold mine, so if he doesn’t take it...

16 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

You know the tank is in full force when the GDT's only get like 3 posts.

I think people will flock back to the forum when the team is interesting again - last year was indicative of that.

But anyway - a solid game by Cory from the statsheet. 

Were you here in 2012? The forum crashed from all the fair weather fans coming to the forum once NJ reached the ECF. There are also tons of posters who come here to read and whatever but just don't post until the team is in the playoffs. All the sudden people who made their accounts in 2005 with 15,000 posts show up again out of nowhere but they haven't posted in 3 years.

1 hour ago, Aitchmack said:

We offered more to Rafalski.  We offered more to Niedermayer.  Lou claims we made a "competitive" offer to Parise.

All the money in the world is not quite enough for plenty of players.

43 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Were you here in 2012? The forum crashed from all the fair weather fans coming to the forum once NJ reached the ECF. There are also tons of posters who come here to read and whatever but just don't post until the team is in the playoffs. All the sudden people who made their accounts in 2005 with 15,000 posts show up again out of nowhere but they haven't posted in 3 years.

This.

The number of consistent posters really started crashing in the 13-14 and 14-15 seasons.  The biggest surge I have seen of MIA posters returning was when we made the playoffs last season.  Go figure.

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

We offered more to Rafalski.  We offered more to Niedermayer.  Lou claims we made a "competitive" offer to Parise.

Yeah, you are right. The incentive wil be the prospect of winning the SCF then. And if Shero is planning on doing that through drafting it'll be a few years before we're knocking at that door.

Edited by Aitchmack

6 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

That’s why Calgary being so good worries me. Two of those guys went home, and the other wanted to play with his brother. Hopefully Hall is not interested in taking a hometown discount to play for the Flames. 

29 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

20 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

That’s why Calgary being so good worries me. Two of those guys went home, and the other wanted to play with his brother. Hopefully Hall is not interested in taking a hometown discount to play for the Flames. 

Rafalski did everything he wanted to do but play for his home town. Neidermayer wanted to play/win with his brother. Parise wanted to play with his BFFL. Hall.....wants to win and prob also wants to get paid.

If Shero and Hynes have him drinking the Koolaid, and can offer him the most money, he'd stay--especially if the devils add another top 3 pick to this year's NHL roster and can add a piece of two in the off season. Cory looks like his old self(knock on wood) and Blackwood looks like he could also be the real deal. Ty Smith is killing it and there is reason to believe a couple of the other young guys could take next steps next season after getting to watch them at the NHL level due to all the injuries this season. 

I don't think the outlook should be considered as awful as it was in the middle of the season. I remain positive.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Rafalski did everything he wanted to do but play for his home town. Neidermayer wanted to play/win with his brother. Parise wanted to play with his BFFL. Hall.....wants to win and prob also wants to get paid.

If Shero and Hynes have him drinking the Koolaid, and can offer him the most money, he'd stay--especially if the devils add another top 3 pick to this year's NHL roster and can add a piece of two in the off season. Cory looks like his old self(knock on wood) and Blackwood looks like he could also be the real deal. Ty Smith is killing it and there is reason to believe a couple of the other young guys could take next steps next season after getting to watch them at the NHL level due to all the injuries this season. 

I don't think the outlook should be considered as awful as it was in the middle of the season. I remain positive.

This is probably true, but also worrying.  I don't think we will be in a win-now type of mindset for at least another 3 seasons.

We cannot compare free agent signing from the Lou era and the Shero era. Lou had an incredibly flawed approach that did bite him in the ass more than any other GM and Shero had a perfect approach through his career. So until he makes a "bad move" (not to confuse with a good move not getting results), i will trust him to do the right thing. 

It's really all about timing and putting yourself in the driver seat for those decisions. Nothing to do with why a player left or for how much. You can't let them get to the point where they have a choice, that's just bad management.

re: rafalski - he did NOT take less money for detroit.

for everyone it was almost a foregone conclusion he was re-signing in NJ (including everything you heard from rafalski camp). but lou dragged his feet and low-balled and left the door ajar for detroit to come in and pay more than lou was willing to. lou could have locked him up before UFA but didn't.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

re: rafalski - he did NOT take less money for detroit.

for everyone it was almost a foregone conclusion he was re-signing in NJ (including everything you heard from rafalski camp). but lou dragged his feet and low-balled and left the door ajar for detroit to come in and pay more than lou was willing to. lou could have locked him up before UFA but didn't.

"when time is on your side, you try to use waste it"

• Like 2

hall will be an interesting ordeal to see how this pans out with him. he seems to say all of the right things, but I'm sure he wants to be competitive and while I'm confident we will back the brinks truck up to his door as bait, I highly doubt we will be the only team looking to persuade him by means of cash. 

6 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

hall will be an interesting ordeal to see how this pans out with him. he seems to say all of the right things, but I'm sure he wants to be competitive and while I'm confident we will back the brinks truck up to his door as bait, I highly doubt we will be the only team looking to persuade him by means of cash

I think that’s the biggest problem. Our $88m/8 years may not be as attractive as a Cup competitor’s $77m/7 years. 

4 hours ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

hall will be an interesting ordeal to see how this pans out with him. he seems to say all of the right things, but I'm sure he wants to be competitive and while I'm confident we will back the brinks truck up to his door as bait, I highly doubt we will be the only team looking to persude him by means of cash. 

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I think that’s the biggest problem. Our $88m/8 years may not be as attractive as a Cup competitor’s $77m/7 years. 

That's exactly why you don't wait weeks before UFAs are hitting free agency to make your pitch and offer. That way other teams cannot make another offer. It's pretty basic. You also don't wait at the trade deadline cause you might be in a bad spot and lose leverage cause you want to make the playoffs and you're not willing to part with your top player.

I'm pretty confident Shero will deal with this over the summer like he did with Staal and Letang in pittsburgh and give Hall an ultimatum / pitch basically

6 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

That's exactly why you don't wait weeks before UFAs are hitting free agency to make your pitch and offer. That way other teams cannot make another offer. It's pretty basic. You also don't wait at the trade deadline cause you might be in a bad spot and lose leverage cause you want to make the playoffs and you're not willing to part with your top player.

I'm pretty confident Shero will deal with this over the summer like he did with Staal and Letang in pittsburgh and give Hall an ultimatum / pitch basically

It’s not even a question, Shero will be offering an extension on or about July 1. That much we can be sure of. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

this right here, if he does not want to sign here this July make it clear to him that we need to continue moving forward with or without him. as long as he realizes he will be moved if he doesn't have interest in signing. lets not wait and get nothing in return, once again

On 3/18/2019 at 10:40 AM, NJDevils1214 said:

Oh yeah, I joined here my freshman year of college in 2008/9 to defend Marty from a couple posters who were always going after him :lol:

2012 was definitely a nice resurgence for the board, but unfortunately the sh!t results that immediately followed kinda killed all the momentum and people disappeared again.

I miss posting with a couple of those OG guys and gals.  Really was a fun place - still is, just different.  Here I go being nostalgic again.