John Hynes

NJD67

Usually coaches get fired when they lose as many.He got an extension.Seems strange.But then again I don't think it is his fault.These players are no where good enough and what about next season.The fans deserve better.

23 minutes ago, NJD67 said:

Usually coaches get fired when they lose as many.He got an extension.Seems strange.But then again I don't think it is his fault.These players are no where good enough and what about next season.The fans deserve better.

The injuries are not his fault. Neither is Ray Shero sabotaging the season by not improving the team in any way shape or form in the offseason

24 minutes ago, NJD67 said:

The extension doesn't really matter.  They can still fire him at any time and the only consequence is that they have to pay him until he gets another job.  The money at stake is basically what a league minimum player gets.

7 minutes ago, '7' said:

The injuries are not his fault. Neither is Ray Shero sabotaging the season by not improving the team in any way shape or form in the offseason

I'll say it again, the only free agent theoretically available that would have helped the team was Tavares and that wasn't happening.  I believe the reports that he tried to trade for Karlsson out right and that he was looking to pry something valuable from Tampa in order to take Callahan's contract.   So he's not in Sandy Alderson territory, at least not yet.

This offseason will be different.  You have what looks to be some really good free agents and other teams that need to trade good players for cap reason.  If it's more of the same "build through the draft" and make "value" moves, the Devils will be at the bottom of the league again next year, and I can't imagine he makes it. 

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 2

NJD67, not sure if you were watching at the beginning of the season, but he was clearly trying to hold most of his players accountable when his team was still relevant (for some reason Greene has earned permanent "untouchable" status).  With the team he has now, it doesn't make sense to hold them to the same standard as the true "varsity" squad.  This is a team playing out the string of a highly disappointing season...to the kids' credit who are currently being asked to do far more than Plan A ever could have called for, they're trying their best...I've seen my share of well-paid veteran-laden also-rans in all sports just say screw it, and clearly mail it in waiting for it all to be over.  As ugly as it is with this group, at least they're not doing that. 

You can't just make a blanket statement like "Usually coached get fired when they lose as many."  It doesn't always work that way.  Hynes' first Devils teams clearly weren't designed to win much...last season, he took a team that had talent but had a lot of youth to the playoffs...yes, Hall having his MVP rampage and KK doing a solid imitation of a #1 goalie for a significant stretch at a crucial time definitely helped a lot, but at the very least, Hynes didn't get in the way of his team's success.  His players seem to like him an awful lot too, for whatever that's worth.  Shero clearly has a high opinion of him as well...enough to extend him just enough to keep him out of lame-duck status, anyway. 

You'll hear some occasional bitching about Shero not doing enough to improve the team (one such post in this thread already exists), but the fact is there was enough currently in the system that Shero wanted to take this season to see if some of the youth could build off what they did last season (mixed results for sure), and see how the depth/Plan B guys might perform if called upon, should guys on the big club get hurt...there was also reason to hope a guy like Johansson could turn in a full season closer to his 2016-17 campaign.  I also think that Shero wasn't exactly enamoured with the majority of the UFA class, outside of the ones that never were never coming here to begin with.  Shero's seen enough in this evaulation season to know that improvements will have to come from outside the organization, and he's set himself up very well in that regard...he has accumulated both picks and cap space. 

Back to Hynes, when Shero has assembled a team that he feels is truly ready to contend (that's still very much in progress), I think that's when Hynes' seat will get warm, if the team is simply not living up to expectations.  Shero probably feels like Hynes hasn't had a full team to truly work with yet.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, '7' said:

lol yeah its just too bad he turned down Tavares who wanted to sign with us so bad. I wonder what he was thinking

Its amazing how many fans seems to think its so damn simple to "improve" a team in the off season. There's 30+ teams free agents can sign with and we have no assets. What is he supposed to do?

• Like 2