GDT: Blues @ Devils 7:00 PM MSG+ Fan Appreciation Night

MadDog2020

7 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Wife has been going through some major medical stuff since Christmas. Priorities shifted! 

Aw sh!t man hope she’s doing OK.  Very sorry to hear that.  

10 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

The best thing that has happened in the last 3-4 weeks of this season is the re-emergence of Cory Schneider. A month ago I’d have been ok with a buyout, now I feel pretty good about him being a veteran presence alongside Blackwood for next season. 

Now, the other 18 guys on the ice...

Cory with a .930 save% in his last 13 GP, and he’s looked good doing it.  Goaltending tandem has the potential to be far stronger than what the Devils got for much of 2018-19.

As for the rest of the team, I really don’t think it’s that bleak, but obviously guys have got to stay healthy.  A lot of what’s currently in Bingo are “temporary NHL fill-in”-types, and clearly they try hard enough, but they’re just not guys you build your team around...the organizational depth isn’t there for the Devils to overcome such a slew of injuries.  Fortunately the more legit prospects the Devils hope to have here aren’t really in Bingo anyway.  And of course Shero’s got pieces and money to play with...we’ll see what he gets done with all of that.

Though I’m not much of a believer in McLeod, I’ll give him a bit of a pass mostly because he was never supposed to up here this soon.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, “for decades” I heard. 

Or, we could draft Dude B and he could wind up being the best guy in the draft class. Ask Vancouver. 

The concept that drafting 5th instead of 3rd or 2nd or whatever in one draft year will affect the team for “decades” is a joke. Unless Jesus Christ is available, although we all know, he’s a goalie for obvious reasons. 

Plus the lottery isn't actually WHERE you draft for the millionth time.  How quickly people forget John Moore's OT goal against the Flyers a couple years back which was the worst thing in the world since it knocked us down from 2nd to 5th in the lotto odds...except 5th is where we won Nico from and the team that had the 2nd best odds drafted 5th (cue the people complaining we got UNlucky cause we could have had Petterson instead of a solid cornerstone like Nico).  The lottery is marginally weighted random, nothing more.  Sure it's nice to have better odds but I'm not getting too emotionally invested in it either.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I always prefer here to HF boards but I think the one thing that they do right is keeping the tanking stuff out of the game day threads. 

We have the race to the bottom thread for a reason. 

Crowd was great tonight. A shame no team posters or anything were handed out after the game. That was something they normally do every year but there was only free cans of Pepsi zero lol

They didn't have any random ticket holder giveaways either.  It was stupid, a dissapoinment of a 'Fan Appreciation'  night.  They'll probably be even more stupid and have the giveaways and poster handouts after Monday's game with 8000 Devil fans there as opposed to 17000.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Kinkyisth3b3st said:

Wife has been going through some major medical stuff since Christmas. Priorities shifted! 

Now I feel bad. Sorry to hear it man, hope she’s getting better.

Has to be even harder when your boyfriend also had knee surgery on top of that. ;) 

47 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

They didn't have any random ticket holder giveaways either.  It was stupid, a dissapoinment of a 'Fan Appreciation'  night.  They'll probably be even more stupid and have the giveaways and poster handouts after Monday's game with 8000 Devil fans there as opposed to 17000.

I’ve been to “Fan Appreciation Night” before, and it’s usually almost no difference from a regular game, plus the addition of like 20 people winning “jerseys off their backs”. Which, I believe, only STH’s are eligible for anyway. 

54 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

I don't think they will do anything Monday other then have the team clap for the fans whether they lose or not.... I don't ever remember them doing the fan appreciation night before the last game before and I think they did it because of past complaints of there being too many Rangers fans at one of the previous final home games. 

There are some things that annoy me that the front office does. Like last week they had mascot madness before the coyotes game and you could skate with the mascots on the practice rink and get some photos and autographs. It was free last year and there were maybe 50-60 people there tops.

This year they were charging $30 a ticket to attend. So now you're asking a family of 2-4 if not more who already have season tickets to spend even more just for this event. It's been a joke lately with how they are doing things.

I wouldn't be surprised if there renewal rates weren't good considering how bad the team is and how prices went up for considerably depending on where you seat. 

Edited by Satans Hockey

Re Tanking: I am for it right now.  I mentally checked out of this season around mid January so I am pretty numb to any win or loss.  While I agree that even getting Hughes is not going to change things around immediately, any bit of talent like that helps in the long run.  Even if you subscribe to the idea that Zacha was a Lou/Conte pick, the next year's pick of McLeod (whom we traded down to get) is possibly looking worse than Zacha.  I want us to be in the best possible draft position to get the highest pick we can get as I don't even trust our current scouting staff to not miss on a 6-10 pick.

Re Fan Appreciation night: In all the years (25+) years of going to Devils games and going to more than a dozen of these nights, I do not remember fan appreciation night being all that much better.  Frankly I used to hate it when they gave out posters for these games as posters are quite possibly the worst giveaway any arena/stadium could ever give out.  They often give it to you on the way in, they are easily creased/damaged and you basically have to hold it on your hands the entire game.  Plus, I am not exactly eager to pick up a poster where half the current team is made up of schmuck players that I couldn't give two sh!ts about.

20 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

They often give it to you on the way in, they are easily creased/damaged and you basically have to hold it on your hands the entire game.  Plus, I am not exactly eager to pick up a poster where half the current team is made up of schmuck players that I couldn't give two sh!ts about.

They always gave them on the way out from what I remember, to me it's just another thing that screams lazy to me by whoever is in charge and was a nice way to end the season no matter if the team sucks or not. 

Hell this year's team photo should have been the entire team in the medical room lol

12 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

They always gave them on the way out from what I remember, to me it's just another thing that screams lazy to me by whoever is in charge and was a nice way to end the season no matter if the team sucks or not. 

Hell this year's team photo should have been the entire team in the medical room lol

I have gotten dozens of posters from the team over the years and have actually hung up maybe a handful on my wall.  I personally find posters to be the absolute worst of the worst when it comes to stadium giveaways.

The team could suck, but when half the team that was iced yesterday are not going to be with the team one year from now (or sooner), it doesn't really do it for me.  It's another poster that will be tossed in the corner of my basement or thrown out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I have gotten dozens of posters from the team over the years and have actually hung up maybe a handful on my wall.  I personally find posters to be the absolute worst of the worst when it comes to stadium giveaways.

The team could suck, but when half the team that was iced yesterday are not going to be with the team one year from now (or sooner), it doesn't really do it for me.  It's another poster that will be tossed in the corner of my basement or thrown out.

I’m sure for a kid a poster is great. As an adult, I’d probably say “no thanks” and leave it for someone else. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m sure for a kid a poster is great. As an adult, I’d probably say “no thanks” and leave it for someone else. 

Even when I was a kid I was excited to get it at the arena.  As soon as I got home, I went into the "what the hell do I do with it now?" mode.