Sign in to follow this  
Daniel

Confirmed: Davies signs, reports to Practice!

Between Davies, Butcher, and Smith they should certainly be able to move the puck.

• Like 3

I am stoked, looking forward to seeing what he brings to the team

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

I am stoked, looking forward to seeing what he brings to the team

It’d be cool to see him draw in for these last couple of games.

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It’d be cool to see him draw in for these last couple of games.

Don't think he can, as his contract is a 2019-2020 one; could be wrong though.

• Like 1

Just now, DJ Eco said:

Don't think he can, as his contract is a 2019-2020 one; could be wrong though.

you're correct - he's there to be with the team and practice but can't play

• Like 2

Awesome news! I have high hopes for the next bunch of D (didn't learn my lesson after the flame outs of Gelinas/Merrill). Davies is already 23, so hopefully he earns a roster spot next year.  We have Walsh and Zaitsev who are tracking to be NHL caliber too. 

At the start of next year we will have a 4 players under 25 who all should be on the NHL roster or challenging for a spot. Wild card will be if Byram will be added to the crop. 

Severson (25), Butcher (24), Davies (23), Ty Smith (19)

42 minutes ago, Steadevils said:

Awesome news! I have high hopes for the next bunch of D (didn't learn my lesson after the flame outs of Gelinas/Merrill). Davies is already 23, so hopefully he earns a roster spot next year.  We have Walsh and Zaitsev who are tracking to be NHL caliber too. 

At the start of next year we will have a 4 players under 25 who all should be on the NHL roster or challenging for a spot. Wild card will be if Byram will be added to the crop. 

Severson (25), Butcher (24), Davies (23), Ty Smith (19)

Vatanen's only 27 too, turning 28 in June.  If the above 4 guys make the team, Greene rounds out the pairings, and you'd think there would be a pretty big logjam fighting for that optional 7th d-man role, but we actually have some guys turning RFA or UFA after this season.  Butcher is one but I can't imagine he doesn't re-sign whatever offer we give him, Connor is an RFA who I think we probably want to bring back, but Mueller is an RFA too - question is do we want to bring him back?  Also Yakolev is a UFA - do we let him walk then?  Santini's already signed for next year and then becomes just an RFA, so I imagine it's him and Connor and possibly Mueller fighting for that last spot.

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Vatanen's only 27 too, turning 28 in June.  If the above 4 guys make the team, Greene rounds out the pairings, and you'd think there would be a pretty big logjam fighting for that optional 7th d-man role, but we actually have some guys turning RFA or UFA after this season.  Butcher is one but I can't imagine he doesn't re-sign whatever offer we give him, Connor is an RFA who I think we probably want to bring back, but Mueller is an RFA too - question is do we want to bring him back?  Also Yakolev is a UFA - do we let him walk then?  Santini's already signed for next year and then becomes just an RFA, so I imagine it's him and Connor and possibly Mueller fighting for that last spot.

Yak was good every time we saw him. If they let him walk they're fvcking mental. Santini and Mueller haven't proven they can be much more than reliable 7th guys.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Yak was good every time we saw him. If they let him walk they're fvcking mental. Santini and Mueller haven't proven they can be much more than reliable 7th guys.

I agree, I liked Yak.  I think he was a pretty good puck mover and had some speed.  His defense was pretty good and I don't think he took many penalties or had bad turnovers from what I remember.  Santini is still signed for next year and I have a feeling since Mueller is an RFA opposed to UFA, they'll tender him something cheap. 

not a fan of sheros grading system but his roster choices are 4 out of 4.

• Like 1

In an effort to get way way way ahead of myself I found this interesting... An article from our new VP of analytics Tyler Dellow: https://theathletic.com/821381/2019/02/19/dellow-do-left-shot-defencemen-produce-less-on-their-weak-side/

We will have 1 extra left handed D if both Davies and Ty Smith make the team in 19-20 (green, butcher, ty, davies). The "problem" of having more than 3 LD will extend beyond this year if Byram is the pick in the draft. The article is Toronto playing 5 LD focused and the conclusion to his analysis was:

"1) What we really need is data that enables us to look at how a team functions with a given player on the left as compared to the right. The Maple Leafs presumably subscribe to SportLogiq (and have access to god knows what else); SportLogiq produces enhanced play-by-play files that would permit a better look at this question. This may well have informed Babcock’s thinking;

2) There are players who produce points just fine on their weak side; and

3) Rielly’s history doesn’t really support a conclusion that he falls apart on his weak side.

Does this mean Babcock’s wrong? I wouldn’t go so far as to say that; I’d only say that I don’t think it’s as cut and dry as “You want your best players on their forehand.” I mean, that may well be true, but it’s a principle that has limits and the principle itself doesn’t help you identify those limits. Even if you accept it as true, one of the things I’ll be interested to see is whether the needs of the moment dictate different approaches for the Maple Leafs. If you’re less concerned about creating offence, do you worry more about getting your best defencemen on the ice and less about what side of the ice they’re on? Unless Kyle Dubas makes Babcock’s life much easier by airlifting in a right-handed defenceman or two over the next week, it’s an issue that Babcock will have to grapple with into the spring."

5 hours ago, Steadevils said:

In an effort to get way way way ahead of myself I found this interesting... An article from our new VP of analytics Tyler Dellow: https://theathletic.com/821381/2019/02/19/dellow-do-left-shot-defencemen-produce-less-on-their-weak-side/

We will have 1 extra left handed D if both Davies and Ty Smith make the team in 19-20 (green, butcher, ty, davies). The "problem" of having more than 3 LD will extend beyond this year if Byram is the pick in the draft. The article is Toronto playing 5 LD focused and the conclusion to his analysis was:

"1) What we really need is data that enables us to look at how a team functions with a given player on the left as compared to the right. The Maple Leafs presumably subscribe to SportLogiq (and have access to god knows what else); SportLogiq produces enhanced play-by-play files that would permit a better look at this question. This may well have informed Babcock’s thinking;

2) There are players who produce points just fine on their weak side; and

3) Rielly’s history doesn’t really support a conclusion that he falls apart on his weak side.

Does this mean Babcock’s wrong? I wouldn’t go so far as to say that; I’d only say that I don’t think it’s as cut and dry as “You want your best players on their forehand.” I mean, that may well be true, but it’s a principle that has limits and the principle itself doesn’t help you identify those limits. Even if you accept it as true, one of the things I’ll be interested to see is whether the needs of the moment dictate different approaches for the Maple Leafs. If you’re less concerned about creating offence, do you worry more about getting your best defencemen on the ice and less about what side of the ice they’re on? Unless Kyle Dubas makes Babcock’s life much easier by airlifting in a right-handed defenceman or two over the next week, it’s an issue that Babcock will have to grapple with into the spring."

you're also forgetting meuller as a LD. the issue with the devils d - at least as it stands now for next year is that you have the following:

LD: greene, butcher, meuller, smith, davies, white

RD: vatanen, severson, carrick, santini, jacobs

that's the depth chart and its pretty uninspiring.

ty smith is either NHL or back to juniors which is a waste - i think he's making the team.

severson, vatanen and butcher are solid second pairing defensemen. everyone else is bottom pairing for next year.

in an ideal world - santini and meuller are gone. i'd love greene to be gone as well but that's not happening.

so you're rolling a D that looks like this:

greene-severson

butcher-vatenen

smith-carrick

you have guys that can PP but PK is woeful. and this is a d that will have to concentrate on quickly moving the puck out of the zone because they're going to win very few battles in the corners or along the wall.

3 hours ago, sundstrom said:

you're also forgetting meuller as a LD. the issue with the devils d - at least as it stands now for next year is that you have the following:

LD: greene, butcher, meuller, smith, davies, white

RD: vatanen, severson, carrick, santini, jacobs

that's the depth chart and its pretty uninspiring.

ty smith is either NHL or back to juniors which is a waste - i think he's making the team.

severson, vatanen and butcher are solid second pairing defensemen. everyone else is bottom pairing for next year.

in an ideal world - santini and meuller are gone. i'd love greene to be gone as well but that's not happening.

so you're rolling a D that looks like this:

greene-severson

butcher-vatenen

smith-carrick

you have guys that can PP but PK is woeful. and this is a d that will have to concentrate on quickly moving the puck out of the zone because they're going to win very few battles in the corners or along the wall.

I hope Shero will try to trade for Jacob Trouba this offseason.  The issue is whether he'd have to trade Severson to do it.  Another benefit of getting one of the top two picks this year will be that it makes it much much easier to deal the 2019 first before the season starts.

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

I hope Shero will try to trade for Jacob Trouba this offseason.  The issue is whether he'd have to trade Severson to do it.  Another benefit of getting one of the top two picks this year will be that it makes it much much easier to deal the 2019 first before the season starts.

i just don't see trouba as that much of an upgrade over severson that its worth making that deal. adding trouba and KEEPING severson - now you have something. if they are concerned about a cap crunch having to deal with trouba, connor, laine - maybe they'd look to do a deal that centers around maybe butcher/santini/next year lottery protected 1st. That I would do because now you have smith and davies to take butcher's spot and you've got a pretty solid RD corps.

• Like 1