Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mfitz804

End Of Season Recap - Post Your Thoughts

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

@Colorado Rockies 1976 crazy Jaime is a great person. He kids met my twins and the wife this year when we made our trek out to the Rock. He husband is an awesome guy too

Yeah, met her hubby before (Tony IIRC)...he’s a Mets fan, so we had solid common ground there...wound up talking baseball with him for quite some time.  Yeah good people.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I'm actually excited to see where Zacha goes next year. He's gotta feel good about how yesterday went.  Hopefully he puts in a solid offseason and comes out swinging next year.

 

Image result for deja vu gif matrix woah deja vu

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I'm actually excited to see where Zacha goes next year. He's gotta feel good about how yesterday went.  Hopefully he puts in a solid offseason and comes out swinging next year.

It's tricky with Zacha.  I want to be hopeful too, but based on everything that I'm seeing and reading, it looks like metrics don't point to this uptick in production as being sustainable. 

To break it down, once he got past being a complete offensively nonentity for much of his season (to start):

From 12/29 - 2/15 (22 GP):  6 G, 6 A, 12 Pts, 38 SOG, 15.8 shooting%

Then he missed a bunch of games due to injury.

From 3/21 - 4/6 (8 GP):  2 G, 6 A, 8 Pts, 13 SOG, 15.4 shooting%

20 points in 30 GP, which sounds awfully nice compared to the rest of his career...but hard to think that his shooting% won't dip sharply next year.  I want to be very wrong on this, but I have a feeling Zacha will have something like 4 or 5 points through 20 GP, with a goal or two, and once again we'll be lamenting his latest tease.  Like others have noted, doesn't mean he'll be a complete waste or can't help out in other ways, but it just feels like ever expecting him to be anything more than a sporadic and inconsistent offensive performer is just begging for disappointment. 

 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's tricky with Zacha.  I want to be hopeful too, but based on everything that I'm seeing and reading, it looks like metrics don't point to this uptick in production as being sustainable. 

To break it down, once he got past being a complete offensively nonentity for much of his season (to start):

From 12/29 - 2/15 (22 GP):  6 G, 6 A, 12 Pts, 38 SOG, 15.8 shooting%

Then he missed a bunch of games due to injury.

From 3/21 - 4/6 (8 GP):  2 G, 6 A, 8 Pts, 13 SOG, 15.4 shooting%

20 points in 30 GP, which sounds awfully nice compared to the rest of his career...but hard to think that his shooting% won't dip sharply next year.  I want to be very wrong on this, but I have a feeling Zacha will have something like 4 or 5 points through 20 GP, with a goal or two, and once again we'll be lamenting his latest tease.  Like others have noted, doesn't mean he'll be a complete waste or can't help out in other ways, but it just feels like ever expected him to be anything more than a sporadic and inconsistent offensive performer is just begging for disappointment. 

sad jimmy fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Green-top 3 in NHL blocking shots.(fro what that's worth) I think he's top 4 on many teams. But, sadly still # 1 here! He'll probably play out his last year (next year) I hope Ray gets us a stud D man to play big minutes, so Greener can be used in a lesser role. I agree with everyones assessment of Bingo player contributions. Q & McCleod should've shown more given the opportunity. Bastian might've earned a bottom 6 role.

I think the overall confidence of this team was shattered early on after a hot start, and never recovered. I think Zacha is the next Zajac (when he's gone) Although we keep looking for Pav's "breakout' . We all know they'll be better next year. 

look fw to lottery tomorrow night.And Ray re-stocking the shelves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McLeod was only up here due to catastrophic circumstances.  I give him a complete pass on his NHL body of work...but what he did in the AHL doesn't exactly fill one with much hope.  Not looking terribly good for him.

Q I've been done with for a while.  Just get him out of here already.  He's almost 23 years old (birthday is 4/16), and it's been almost FIVE YEARS since he's been drafted.  He's had more than enough time and opportunities, and at times has been his own worst enemy (not being in the best shape, etc).  Pretty clear that he was one of those guys who was going to have to be a real student of the game and a guy who was going to have to work harder than everyone else just to have a real chance to succeed, and he's not that guy.  A pick that simply didn't work out, it happens, time to move on.  I don't even want him around as a warm body, because I don't need to see yet another Q call-up where some fans say "Look at his AHL numbers, they're pretty good, maybe this time he shows something!"...only to see the same damned thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really just a rock solid all around season from Travis this year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MadDog2020 said:
 

Really just a rock solid all around season from Travis this year.

Yeah agree...definitely got some good fortune with goal-scoring this year (right place right time kinds of goals) that won't likely repeat itself, but the guy is solid at what he does, as long as he's not asked to be more than he is.  I remain a big fan of his.  Needs 78 more games to reach 1000 regular season games in a Devils uniform.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

It's tricky with Zacha.  I want to be hopeful too, but based on everything that I'm seeing and reading, it looks like metrics don't point to this uptick in production as being sustainable. 

To break it down, once he got past being a complete offensively nonentity for much of his season (to start):

From 12/29 - 2/15 (22 GP):  6 G, 6 A, 12 Pts, 38 SOG, 15.8 shooting%

Then he missed a bunch of games due to injury.

From 3/21 - 4/6 (8 GP):  2 G, 6 A, 8 Pts, 13 SOG, 15.4 shooting%

20 points in 30 GP, which sounds awfully nice compared to the rest of his career...but hard to think that his shooting% won't dip sharply next year.  I want to be very wrong on this, but I have a feeling Zacha will have something like 4 or 5 points through 20 GP, with a goal or two, and once again we'll be lamenting his latest tease.  Like others have noted, doesn't mean he'll be a complete waste or can't help out in other ways, but it just feels like ever expecting him to be anything more than a sporadic and inconsistent offensive performer is just begging for disappointment. 

 

To summarize:

47564357331_82e1f12bcf_b.jpg

 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was bummed Palmieri couldn't make it to 30 goals after having notched his 20th in early January. But still a fan of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, 95Crash said:

Was bummed Palmieri couldn't make it to 30 goals after having notched his 20th in early January. But still a fan of course.

Think between not always having his usual linemates, the team really being lousy with all of the mehish AHL callups, and Kyle seeming a bit banged up all helped to derail his season.  Guy had 33 points through his first 34 GP.  Only 17 in his next 40. 

Of course, as we've all seen, Kyle's definitely streaky, and that's why he won't even wind up with much more than 60 points in any given season where he plays in almost all of his team's games.  But I was a bit bummed too, not only because I'm a huge fan of his, but also because last year felt like it was going to be that big career year for him.  Still, guy averages 29.4 A and 26.7 A per 82 GP as a Devil, only cost a 2nd and 3rd pick to bring in, and remains on a very reasonable contract.

Will be interesting to see if he sticks around beyond 2020-21 (he goes UFA after that season).  He can't expect to get a big UFA overpayment if he wants to be a part of things...Devils will have lots of other pieces to pay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Will be interesting to see if he sticks around beyond 2020-21 (he goes UFA after that season).  He can't expect to get a big UFA overpayment if he wants to be a part of things...Devils will have lots of other pieces to pay. 

His stats compare to those of Anders Lee, would you agree that $7m-ish per year is a fair price? Decent raise and not a cap killer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.