2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

10 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I know it’s only one game but you have to wonder if Cooper’s job is safe if they don’t at least make it to the finals. This is pathetic. 

I would think he's probably on the hot seat if they don't make the finals this year too, but he also just got extended I believe, so who knows.  I didn't realize it, but he's the longest tenured coach in the league too.  I don't think they lose this series, but if they do, I'm not sure I wouldn't outright fire him if I was the GM.  It would be pretty inexcusable to lose in round 1, and with the talent the team has, there's really nothing else to point at other than the coach not being able to scheme and manage the team in and get them to where they need to be. 

13 hours ago, thecoffeecake said:

I just want to express my appreciation for this playoff format. I don't get the hate for it.

I hate the fact that it could potentially be what I believe to be the two best teams in the Eastern Conference (Lightning and Bruins) meeting in Conference Semi-Finals, rather than the Conference Finals, should they both advance past the first round.  If those teams keep winning, I think they should meet in the last round before the Cup Finals where they will meet a team from the other Conference.  Plus, those teams should also get the benefit of re-seeding and playing whatever the lowest seed is that happens to have moved on to round two.  Prior to this format, the benefits for earning a higher seed where home ice advantage and also re-seeding for strength of opponent.  Now though, all you have is home-ice.  There's no real incentive to trying to move up in the standings during the regulation season since the benefit of your opponent is gone after the first round.  Sure, you get the wildcard teams in the Conference Quarterfinals, but that's it.  Oh, and not to mention it limits the possibilities of potential matchups in the Semi-Finals in terms of speculation and diversity.  I for one like the fact that, depending on who wins and if there are any upsets, there could be several different, potentially unique, matchups that we haven't seen before.  With this format, you're guaranteed that the Hurricanes won't meet the Lightning in the next round, which to me, is dumb.  If they move on, they should play the Lightning in the Semi-Finals (assuming the Bolts win of course).  I 'sort of' get why the NHL does it this way - in their eyes it "emphasizes rivalries" or something like that - but to me there are just so many more, and better, reasons to do it the way it was 5 or 6 years ago before they switched.

20 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Is what it is fellas. We won a borderline generational talent last night. Just be happy about the future and don’t dwell on the past. 

Our first pick in the draft could be one of the foundation stones for that glorious future we are dreaming about.  Who knows what is possible....

22 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I know it’s only one game but you have to wonder if Cooper’s job is safe if they don’t at least make it to the finals. This is pathetic. 

nah, just signed an extension less that a month ago.

https://www.nhl.com/lightning/news/tampa-bay-lightning-sign-head-coach-jon-cooper-to-multi-year-contract-extension/c-306146014

36 minutes ago, titans04 said:

If they fall on their face in the first round I’m not sure that will save him. Or at least I think it shouldn’t, but it’s not my money lol

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

If they fall on their face in the first round I’m not sure that will save him. Or at least I think it shouldn’t, but it’s not my money lol

Winning the cup didn't do sh!t for Trotz.  They didn't have to extend Cooper in March yet they did. We'll see.

1 minute ago, titans04 said:

Winning the cup didn't do sh!t for Trotz.  They didn't have to extend Cooper in March yet they did. We'll see.

Which was stupid. Look at what Trotz is doing with the Isles. 

But Cooper is probably safe at the end of the day. I just think it would be inexcusable to at not at least make a deep run with that team. 

As Devils fans, we are by default anti-Rangers fans, and should keep this in mind during this playoffs season, with all the conditional draft picks that the Rangers have acquired from teams in the post season.

The Rangers get Winnipeg's first round pick this season, so the further the Jets go, the worse that pick is. They also get a first from Tampa if Tampa wins the Cup (otherwise it's a 2nd). And lastly, the Rangers have Dallas's 2nd rounder, which becomes a first if Dallas wins two rounds. (Side note: let's hope Zuccarello has a really bad rest of his time in Dallas so he doesn't re-sign and the Rangers don't get The Stars' 2020 pick too!).

So, let's go Jets and any team playing Tampa or Dallas!

• Like 2