2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Probably will be next year after this. If it was the Devils I'd be pissed too but I'd probably be more pissed at the team for going into nuclear meltdown mode and giving up 4 goals that quickly and not being able to clear the damn puck out of the zone or clear out the front of the net. 

I mean, it wasn't the finals but when we gave up 3 on Bernier's penalty, I was still furious. And that call was more obvious major worthy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jerrydevil said:

It's probably not a major penalty, but Statsny's role in the play, finishing off Pavelski after he was cross-checked off-balance, gets it awfully close. I'm not bothered by the call.

Hell, give them a pair of minors then: Eakin 2 for the cross check (arms extended, no puck) and Statsny 2 for interference.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jerrydevil said:

Reasonable. It didn't look like the refs were calling anything until they saw how bad Pavelski was hurt.

I think that's one of my bigger holdups, no call on the initial play, and either here or somewhere else someone was talking about how the linesman can make an intent to injure call. But there was a ref, literally right there with his eyes on the play and didnt deem it a call until Pavs didnt get up.

That series deserved an epic Game 7 after the Sharks battled back, and now we sit here debating about the refs making a direct impact on it.

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I mean, it wasn't the finals but when we gave up 3 on Bernier's penalty, I was still furious. And that call was more obvious major worthy.

Furious wouldn’t do justice to how I felt that night. My neighbors probably thought I was fit for a straight jacket.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

Probably will be next year after this. If it was the Devils I'd be pissed too but I'd probably be more pissed at the team for going into nuclear meltdown mode and giving up 4 goals that quickly and not being able to clear the damn puck out of the zone or clear out the front of the net. 

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the whole thing.  Sure, wasn’t the best call in the world, but FOUR FRIGGIN’ PP GOALS?  And it’s not like the GKs were clinging to a one-goal lead.  Ya gotta do better than that.

33 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Furious wouldn’t do justice to how I felt that night. My neighbors probably thought I was fit for a straight jacket.

I understood that call at the time and thought it was fair.  Yeah I was furious too.  And I thought, as far as Bernier went, that it was a “fireable” offense.  I didn’t think he should be back on the Devils the following season, it was that bad.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

This pretty much sums up my feelings on the whole thing.  Sure, wasn’t the best call in the world, but FOUR FRIGGIN’ PP GOALS?  And it’s not like the GKs were clinging to a one-goal lead.  Ya gotta do better than that.

I understood that call at the time and thought it was fair.  Yeah I was furious too.  And I thought, as far as Carter went, that it was a “fireable” offense.  I didn’t think he should be back on the Devils the following season, it was that bad.

It was Bernier. I still wanna punch him in the face.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It was Bernier. I still wanna punch him in the face.

Drrrrrrr yeah that’s what I meant lol

• Like 1

In typical Devils fashion, that amazing Cinderella playoff run that made me feel like a 13-year-old again was ended in such a sh!t show. Only solace was watching the Rags do the same thing the next year and seeing Hank doing his typical face-down spread eagle loser pose after Martinez buried the stake in his chest.

2 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

And they had a couple short handed chances to score on 2-on-1s to ice the game...and failed.

• Like 1

Vegas only have themselves to blame for their series loss.  They were up 3 games to 1 and gave up 4 PP goals on that 5 minute major.  There's no excuse for either.

Also, in a very nice twist in irony, I see many Devils fans on social media who agree that Vegas have only to blame themselves are the same people who whined about the Bernier call in 2012 and still do.  The Bernier hit itself was far worse than the one from Eakin/Stastny even though the effect on the player was different.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

The NHL has to make major penalties reviewable. 

I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion (I know many feel the NHL reviews too many things as-is) but come on.. that wasn't a major penalty.  Not in a regular season game, let alone a game 7.

I hate replay except when determining if the puck was across the line, especially the blueline review, but yeah, due to the ability to score multiple times, the major penalties need to be reviewed.  They have the ability to turn a game like no other type of bad call I can think of.   Yeah, you should never give up 4 goals on a PP but the fact that it's even possible for a bad call to directly create a 4 goal swing is worth a second look.    

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1

I think most of us around here blame Bernier more than the refs for that one. We still lost the damn cup because of those two ot games at home. If we could have finished our chances we would have left with a 2-0 series lead.

It would have been wild for us to force a game 7 after being down 3-0 in the series but it was rather unrealistic.

All these playoff games makes miss the playoffs so much. The atmosphere in all the arenas have been great. 

BTW Toronto deserved to lose their series for having one of the worst goal songs ever this year.

• Like 3

I think it's hilarious that Toronto is already in a position where they need to start making Chicago Blackhawks style cap casualty decisions despite this group never having won a round in the playoffs.  I guess the problem with pumping these guys tires so much before they achieve anything is that they're going to expect to be paid like it.   Matthews is great and all but he also has a career high of 73 points.  No reason to be paying Connor McDavid money for that.  Don't get me started on the Nylander contract.   At this point Marner can legitimately walk in and ask for Matthews money this summer, can't he?  I would say more but I was adjusting for wing vs center.             

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I think it's hilarious that Toronto is already in a position where they need to start making Chicago Blackhawks style cap casualty decisions despite this group never having won a round in the playoffs.  I guess the problem with pumping these guys tires so much before they achieve anything is that they're going to expect to be paid like it.   Matthews is great and all but he also has a career high of 73 points.  No reason to be paying Connor McDavid money for that.  Don't get me started on the Nylander contract.   At this point Marner can legitimately walk in and ask for Matthews money this summer, can't he?  I would say more but I was adjusting for wing vs center.             

Agree fully with above but the Devils might very well be in a similar position, as far as paying guys who have yet to win much goes.  Still too early to say though.

17 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Marner is the one player that is worth offer sheeting for.  Very little chance we would be getting that type of player with our next four 1st rounders.

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Agree fully with above but the Devils might very well be in a similar position, as far as paying guys who have yet to win much goes.  Still too early to say though.

I am not too worried about that as right now, at this moment, we don't really have much guys in the same league of talent as Marner, Nylander, Matthews, etc.  We might down the road, but by that time has come contracts (Zajac, Greene, Schneider, etc.), buyouts (Cammy) will be off the books, and the cap will have risen.  I think we are much further away from Toronto's position than we think.

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Marner is the one player that is worth offer sheeting for.  Very little chance we would be getting that type of player with our next four 1st rounders.

I would be a all for it.   Add Hughes, Marner and hopefully a free agent defenseman, and things start looking really bright.   Could you imagine the hate we would get from the North?   We would need to build a wall on that border.        

2 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I would be a all for it.   Add Hughes, Marner and hopefully a free agent defenseman, and things start looking really bright.   Could you imagine the hate we would get from the North?   We would need to build a wall on that border.        

I think their hate for Dubas will be greater for putting them in a position where they couldn't match.  There were already plenty of Leafs fans on social media last night calling the boy genius a fraud.

• Like 1