2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

They also could have not given up a goal with like a minute to go. 

And the refs could literally do the thing they’re paid to do and watch the play.

Yes, the Blues should have gotten a 5th but for the Sharks to just happen to be blessed with another miracle is absolutely pathetic at this point

3 minutes ago, thecoffeecake said:

Conspiracy theories and resentment over a game that happened 20 years ago, keep it coming.

fvck Ray Bourque.

18, but close 😉

1 minute ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

This league is a fvcking JOKE. 

sh!t like this is exactly why the NFL can be a laughing stock and still do millions better. The MLB is a joke of a league but they still have hundreds of thousands of viewers. The NHL will NEVER be a true "big 4" league because of this bullsh!t. 

You mean the same NFL refs that screwed New Orleans just this past playoffs? Lol k

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jagknife said:

And the refs could literally do the thing they’re paid to do and watch the play.

Yes, the Blues should have gotten a 5th but for the Sharks to just happen to be blessed with another miracle is absolutely pathetic at this point

18, but close 😉

Haha, I was rounding up for effect. Don't remind us. 

• Haha 1

I think he (Meier) was "batting" the puck down. He's not going to bat it towards the boards, right? How was #65 standing there totally unmarked? Blues made their own bed, now lie in it. I also thought the Landeskog call was sh!t because it wasn't the spirit of the rule. But IT was reviewable. This play is not. 

The league just can't get out of its own way.

That's an embarrassing way to essentially end the Blues' season. fvck what the book says, fvck what the ref did or didn't see - if it's clearly available in a replay.. make the right call.

San Jose getting a LOT of help this post season. Almost..  almost makes you want to grab your tinfoil hat and start talking conspiracy theories.

The league really, really wants to push the Thornton narrative.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was at the bar last night watching the game so I didn't have the luxury of hearing the sound to know what was going on - from the looks of it I thought it was pretty clearly a hand pass.  Glad to see that I was right, what a terrible missed call. 

12 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

That's an embarrassing way to essentially end the Blues' season. fvck what the book says, fvck what the ref did or didn't see - if it's clearly available in a replay.. make the right call.

San Jose getting a LOT of help this post season. Almost..  almost makes you want to grab your tinfoil hat and start talking conspiracy theories.

I'm not naïve enough to think that collusion doesn't happen - it's all around us in business, politics, and even sports, but with that said, I really don't think the 4 refs on the ice were told to stick it to the Blues and, when the opportunity arose, somehow screw them out of a win.  Even if the league tried to pay them more to somehow skew calls in the Sharks' favor.  The fact of the matter is that hockey is a very fast game, and although it would seem that the call was pretty easy to spot, for whatever reason they all seemed to miss it.  I have a very hard time believing that the refs had it in the back of their minds, all 4 of them, to essentially wait for a moment or play when they could decide to keep their whistles in their pockets so that the Sharks win the game.  It just didn't go down that way, I promise you.  When Meier batted the puck with his hand, there's zero chance in the brains of all 4 of those refs that they each went "Yup, that's the one, right there in this split second, we're all going to pretend like that didn't happen, and the Sharks are going to win this game."  They missed it.  It's a horrible miss, but they did.  And hand passes, right wrong or indifferent, aren't reviewable under the current set of rules, so technically the goal had to stand. It sucks, and I hate it, but it is what it is. No conspiracy here.

Edited by NJDfan1711
  • Like 1

I've never had anything against San Jose but at this point, I hope they don't win the cup.  Between the Vegas 5 minute major after the fact and last nights hand pass, they've benefited wayyyyy too much from unforgivable officiating blunders in these playoffs.   

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I've never had anything against San Jose but at this point, I hope they don't win the cup.  Between the Vegas 5 minute major after the fact and last nights hand pass, they've benefited wayyyyy too much from unforgivable officiating blunders in these playoffs.   

I still don't think the Vegas major was that big of a deal. They gave up 4 goals cause they sh!t their pants and forgot how to clear the puck or play defense. That's on them no matter how much they want to whine about it. Plus they still had a chance to get it done in ot and didn't. Vegas has nobody to blame but themselves in my opinion.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'd argue the NFL one was way worse. At least this wasn't a knockout game. St Louis isn't out yet and if this doesn't fire them up to come out and kill the sharks next game then nothing will. 

NFL is definitely way worse in general. They have a bunch of old dudes that do the sh!t part-time officiating the biggest sport in the country, and have an ever changing rule book the size of War and Peace that nobody fully understands. 

I cut hockey officials a little more slack due to how crazy fast the game moves. Probably the hardest sport to officiate honestly. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I still don't think the Vegas major was that big of a deal. They gave up 4 goals cause they sh!t their pants and forgot how to clear the puck or play defense. That's on them no matter how much they want to whine about it. Plus they still had a chance to get it done in ot and didn't. Vegas has nobody to blame but themselves in my opinion.

I disagree, that game and series was over until they called that major.  Jones had just had one blown through his five hole for the 3rd Vegas goal and the Sharks looked done.  Say what you want about the 4 goals, the phantom major penalty is the only type of bad call that I can think of that could snowball into a 4 goal swing due to the guy being stuck in the box.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I disagree, that game and series was over until they called that major.  Jones had just had one blown through his five hole for the 3rd Vegas goal and the Sharks looked done.  Say what you want about the 4 goals, the phantom major penalty is the only type of bad call that I can think of that could snowball into a 4 goal swing due to the guy being stuck in the box.  

Definitely not a black and white event. Did the Knights sh!t the bed? Absolutely. But it was on a call that never should have happened. 

To conspiracy theorists:

The refs missed a clear cut puck over glass from St. Louis in the same game. It was a textbook example of the penalty and they didn't even review it.  Then, St. louis went on to score 2 goals in like 3 minutes after.

I have no issue with the blown call in overtime, it's human error and sh!t happens. I don't enjoy sitting through minutes of boring reviews from Toronto.  Less replay, faster hockey games please.

Edited by Rob_Ottawa

55 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

To conspiracy theorists:

The refs missed a clear cut puck over glass from St. Louis in the same game. It was a textbook example of the penalty and they didn't even review it.  Then, St. louis went on to score 2 goals in like 3 minutes after.

I have no issue with the blown call in overtime, it's human error and sh!t happens. I don't enjoy sitting through minutes of boring reviews from Toronto.  Less replay, faster hockey games please.

Nah. Reviewing a call for a kicking motion, interference, highstick, or batting it with your hand is not the same as reviewing an offside call because Taylor Hall's skate was an inch in the air when he crossed the blue line. Stopping the game to get the right call on a goal is not the same as stopping it to laser measure down the the millimeter where a skate/puck was in relation to the blue line. The latter is obviously egregious and if they want that level of accuracy, need to change it so that call is automated. The former has to be the right call. They are fvcking up. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I doubt that very much.

I've read others here say it was a simple blown call....Well.....

IMO, this was a PURPOSELY-BLOWN call to make sure there is a possible Game 7, PERIOD.

Another Game 7 = More TV $$$$$$

The refs aren't showing favoritism to the Sharks.

They are showing favoritism to the NHL and Bettman looking to MAXIMIZE Profits.

Pure fvcking Greed is what's at play here and you don't need a tinfoil hat for that sh!t. 

Edited by glenwo2

15 minutes ago, MB3 said:

That's... an interesting take. 

I have plenty of issues with the blown call in overtime. If a goal can be overturned because a player is a pube-hair offsides, a blatant hand-pass needs to be reviewable. 

I don't need "faster" hockey games. I need correct outcomes. 

He has a point in that there's always mission creep with replay where it's meant to correct obviously wrong calls but almost immediately becomes a vehicle to overturn calls that are razor thin and don't really have anything to do with the play.  I would guess that 95% of goals that were disallowed because of an offside review were by a margin of less than six inches.  I would also guess that the average offsides review takes more than two minutes, which means we're not talking about something obvious.

You'd think the answer is simple, make all calls subject to what we always hear the standard is, indisputable evidence, but they never stick to it.  So what they should do is what the NFL used to do, which was to give the replay official 30 seconds to review the play.  If he can't decide whether the call should be changed, the evidence is not indisputable or at least it's not an obviously wrong call.

Edited by Daniel

18 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

I doubt that very much.

I've read others here say it was a simple blown call....Well.....

IMO, this was a PURPOSELY-BLOWN call to make sure there is a possible Game 7, PERIOD.

Another Game 7 = More TV $$$$$$

The refs aren't showing favoritism to the Sharks.

They are showing favoritism to the NHL and Bettman looking to MAXIMIZE Profits.

Pure fvcking Greed is what's at play here and you don't need a tinfoil hat for that sh!t. 

You're insane.  This was game 3, homie.  Logic aside, how can you possibly decide now which team is going to need help getting to game 7?

• Like 4