2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

8 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

No, he just ran fourth liners face first into the boards.

Great comparison by the way, Claude and Marchand have a lot of similarities.  Only big difference is that Claude only turned it on in the playoffs and didn't  really do much in the regular season.

Both are talented goal scorers who know exactly how to piss off the competition.

DM84 touched on this, but the bolded is only really accurate for the 1993-94 and 1995 seasons.  Claude didn't do that much during the 1993-94 and 1995 regular seasons, but was much more productive in the playoffs for both years.  But he definitely had some terrific regular seasons in his career...and in 1995-96, he had one of his very best regular seasons, on his way to helping the Avs win a Cup.  He had a 14-year stretch (basically his prime years) where he put up 692 points in 982 GP....about 29 G and 29 A per 82 GP...BTW, in that same 14-year-stretch (his team made the playoffs every year), his per 82 GP playoff averages were EXACTLY THE SAME...about 29 G and 29 A per 82 GP (201 GP).  So the bolded in general is simply not true. 

3 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

God to see those Candy-Canes out of the playoffs.  They are easily in my top 3 most hated teams.

In regards to Marchand, I might be in the minority where I don't hate the guy.  The guy has a ton of talent and has had 85 or more points a season for the past 3 seasons.  Let's not pretend we would be circling the wagons around to rationalize his actions if he played for the Devils.  We did it before with Claude.

I'm with you, the Mojo cheap shot is the only thing he did that really pissed me off. I hate Tom Wilson way more. 

I dislike Marchand simply because of his slew-footing which I think is quite dangerous, and also I think his licking is just stupid.  But, if he didn't do any of that crap, I'd actually have no problem with him.  Hitting a player in the back of the head after the whistle while he's on his knees, then skating away before anyone can do anything about it?  That's just funny.  He deserves to get his ass kicked for that, and I truly believe he knows that, which is why you never hear him say boo about it.  One day someone might give him a whooping, and I have a feeling he'd be willing to throw down, and win or lose, I think he'd take his beating like a man.  I know I would.  I know why the guy does it, and I'm a little like that myself when I play.  He's not a big guy, and neither am I.  Neither of us can help that genetics made some people 8 inches taller and 50 pounds heavier, so we have to find another way to get a physical edge since we're not likely to be able to knock someone like that down too often.  When you are a smaller guy you take certain liberties and see what you can get away with.  Again, the slew-footing stuff notwithstanding.  But all of his other stuff is mostly just antics and antagonistic behavior.  I don't blame him one bit for seeing how far he can push the envelope.   

38 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Marchand has multiple times thrown violently dangerous and illegal checks around and - because he plays on one of Bettman’s favorite squads - has absolutely never faced the discipline he deserves.

i hope he wins nothing and breaks both of his kneecaps in the process.

He has been suspended 6 different times.

Does anyone know how many times Claude got suspended?  I only see 2; one in 1995 when he was on the Devils for 3 games for sucker-punching Brett Lindros and then for the Draper incident in 1996 WCF.  He only got 2 games for that. 

On 5/9/2019 at 12:03 AM, MadDog2020 said:

The Devils were a first time winner once. St. Louis fans have waited 50 years, if they win I’ll be happy for them. 

Does anyone remember that they were the class of the 1967 expansion class, winning the expansion division any number of times only to be swept in the Cup Final by an original-6 team?  They've worked hard enough this year to be able to go to another one.

22 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Hearing the story from the guy who organized the party for them to go to on Spittin Chiclets was very entertaining.

I'm watching the game tomorrow with fans of the following teams: Caps, Blues (x2), Stars, Jets, Wings, Bruins and the future Seattle franchise. Its nice to have hockey fans out here!

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 1