MadDog2020

2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

You have a short memory lol

And now they're back to underachieving. Should I be patting them on the back for what they did last year or commenting on how they just lost last night? It's the 2019 playoff thread, not 2018.

Edited by NJDevils1214

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

And now they're back to underachieving. Should I be patting them on the back for what they did last year or commenting on how they just lost last night? It's the 2019 playoff thread, not 2018.

They won the Cup. They’re not losers. Period. 

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

They won the Cup. They’re not losers. Period. 

That was last year. They lost in the first round this year lol. The key word is "lost". To Carolina to boot. 

I agree with both you guys.  Washington losing to Carolina is a bit shocking, though Carolina is surprising a lot of people, and they're not half bad, so it's not exactly the world's biggest upset.  Also, the last 5 years, the defending Cup champs have lost in the first round, all in Game 7's too - so they're not the only ones to suffer this fate.  As much as I am a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately person, I don't think it's fair to pretend like the Caps Cup win is ancient history.  

3 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I agree with both you guys.  Washington losing to Carolina is a bit shocking, though Carolina is surprising a lot of people, and they're not half bad, so it's not exactly the world's biggest upset.  Also, the last 5 years, the defending Cup champs have lost in the first round, all in Game 7's too - so they're not the only ones to suffer this fate.  As much as I am a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately person, I don't think it's fair to pretend like the Caps Cup win is ancient history.  

The caps were perrenial losers before last year. They were the Sharks of the east. Yea they won last year. I'm not some flat earther type denying facts, but this is the 2019 playoff thread not last year. This year they lost. Are they still winners? By that logic Carolina are still losers despite that they just beat the defending cup champs after barely making it into the playoffs. As far as I'm concerned Carolina are winners. They just won. Capitals are losers. They just lost. I am surprised this is so controversial. We spend way too much time on symantecs on this board lol. 

1 minute ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The caps were perrenial losers before last year. They were the Sharks of the east. Yea they won last year. I'm not some flat earther type denying facts, but this is the 2019 playoff thread not last year. This year they lost. Are they still winners? By that logic Carolina are still losers despite that they just beat the defending cup champs after barely making it into the playoffs. As far as I'm concerned Carolina are winners. They just won. Capitals are losers. They just lost. I am surprised this is so controversial. We spend way too much time on symantecs on this board lol. 

Because your post came off like the Caps are still perennial losers. They’re not. They won the hardest trophy to win in all of sports less than one calendar year ago. 

If your post was just confirming that the Caps did in fact lose the series, well...

12 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Because your post came off like the Caps are still perennial losers. They’re not. They won the hardest trophy to win in all of sports less than one calendar year ago. 

If your post was just confirming that the Caps did in fact lose the series, well...

Right.  That was basically my issue with it.  I don't think anyone is arguing semantics - we can all take things literally for what they are.  Yes, the Caps lost yesterday - that much is obvious to anyone with a set of working eyeballs.  But to call them losers in the sense of painting their entire franchise and history with a broad brush of mediocrity and/or failure I don't think is really fair.  Sure they had a long history of not winning a Cup prior to last year, and yes, they did just get knocked out yesterday, but it's hard to win the Cup, and they're only 365 days from being removed from that.  There have only been two teams in the last 22 years to repeat Cup wins, and you could even make the argument that it's pretty hard to make the playoffs in general with all of the parity in the league (just look at the teams this year - STL, NYI, DAL, CAR, CBJ - none made it last year), so Washington getting knocked out in the first round isn't some reason to call them losers if you ask me.  Now Tampa on the other hand?  I think getting SWEPT in the first round after the season they had and tying the league record for wins is much more of a reason to call a team a bunch of losers. 

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Right.  That was basically my issue with it.  I don't think anyone is arguing semantics - we can all take things literally for what they are.  Yes, the Caps lost yesterday - that much is obvious to anyone with a set of working eyeballs.  But to call them losers in the sense of painting their entire franchise and history with a broad brush of mediocrity and/or failure I don't think is really fair.  Sure they had a long history of not winning a Cup prior to last year, and yes, they did just get knocked out yesterday, but it's hard to win the Cup, and they're only 365 days from being removed from that.  There have only been two teams in the last 22 years to repeat Cup wins, and you could even make the argument that it's pretty hard to make the playoffs in general with all of the parity in the league (just look at the teams this year - STL, NYI, DAL, CAR, CBJ - none made it last year), so Washington getting knocked out in the first round isn't some reason to call them losers if you ask me.  Now Tampa on the other hand?  I think getting SWEPT in the first round after the season they had and tying the league record for wins is much more of a reason to call a team a bunch of losers. 

Agree with everything you said, but just one minor correction - CBJ did make the playoffs last year. They lost to those losers the Caps. :P

26 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Agree with everything you said, but just one minor correction - CBJ did make the playoffs last year. They lost to those losers the Caps. :P

Whoops, that's right.   I thought there was another team that made it this year who didn't last year....CGY.  I knew it started with a C :D

Posted (edited)

Yes, I'm calling them losers because they lost their series last night. That is why they're losers. They lost. I also hate Carolina, so all the more reason to insult the loser Caps who lost in the 2019 playoffs-- the subject of the thread. 

You lose gene wilder GIF

Edited by NJDevils1214

4 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Yes, I'm calling them losers because they lost their series last night. That is why they're losers. They lost. I also hate Carolina, so all the more reason to insult the loser Caps who lost in the 2019 playoffs-- the subject of the thread. 

It's just weird to call the defending Stanley Cup Champions "losers". 

They played a 99 point team. This isn't David and Goliath. They were up 2-0 in the series and then they lost one of their best players for the series. It happens. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

" “It’s a fvcking joke. To call five minutes for that? It changed the whole outcome of the game. "

Hey Jonathan, how about your team NOT GIVE UP 4 F'N GOALS ON 1 SHARKS POWERPLAY!!    How about that, eh? :glare:

The Knights PK was outstanding up 'till that point.  It's almost like the entire team stayed PISSED at the Ref instead of FOCUSED on killing the Penalty.  

THAT'S  a failure on THEM and the Coaching Staff!!!  :rant:

And even AFTER ALL *THAT*, they STILL managed to tie it up and send it to OT which took away a lot of the steam from this pathetic Outrage.     

Let's call it like it is :   They choked.

Edited by glenwo2

I will add once again this is another example of what pussies people have become. Not everything in the world is fair. Not everything in the world is reviewable. It’s called human error, it exists. It was part of sports for hundreds of years. Bad penalty calls happen, get over it and kill the penalty. 

The bad penalty call was the referees fault. Giving up four goals on the ensuing power-play, you didn’t do your job. You choked. Tough sh!t. 

That’s not to say that fans can’t be pissed that a call when against them, obviously they should be. That doesn’t mean something is wrong with the game and yet another thing has to be reviewable.

When did you start thinking every wrong had a remedy,  Wu?

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Johansson with as nice a pass as you’ll ever see to set up the OT winner, should the challenge fail. 

EDIT: No challenge. Beauty of a goal. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

Man the Blues looking tough. Could see another team scratched off the no Cup list this year...

8 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Man the Blues looking tough. Could see another team scratched off the no Cup list this year...

I gotta be honest, I kinda like(d) when the list of teams who have never won a Cup was fairly long, especially when the list included some teams who have been in the league for quite a while.  It showed in general how hard it is to win a Cup, and also emphasized the dominance of some teams (like us), who have won multiple Cups in a relatively short period of time.

Who's left on the list of having never won?  STL, BUF, VGK, SJ, CBJ, NSH, MIN, OTT (if you count from 92?), FLA, WPG, ARZ, VAN (if you count from...whenever they came back into the league...?)  12 out of 31?  Basically more than a third of the league still has never won it, which is pretty high I'd say.

• Like 2

I love it.  I only wish the ref dropped the puck so we could see how that would have played out.

The guy defines the word “agitator”. I don’t understand why someone (looking at you, Tom Wilson) hasn’t killed him yet. 

Posted (edited)

Holy sh!t, I mean I know this isn’t the first game at Barclay’s, but man is that an atrocious camera angle

EDIT: now they changed to a lower bowl view from the nosebleeds. This one sucks too, centered on the far blue line. 

Edited by jagknife