2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

Amazing how the deadwood on last place teams end up being major factors deep in the playoffs for someone else. Only in hockey. 

Merrill, MoJo, Lovejoy, Maroon, fans were begging the front office to jettison all of those guys at one point or another. 

I understand it, but it's just wild. Doesn't happen in any other sport.

• Like 1

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!     BLUES WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     THERE IS A GOD AFTER ALL!!!!!  :yay:

Pat Maroon.....Helps both his current AND FORMER Team right there.  :hail:

SCREW YOU, RAGS!!!    NO EXTRA 1ST ROUNDER FOR YOU!!!  SUCK IT!!!   :burn:

Edited by glenwo2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Hope the Sharks win it tomorrow. Dallas pissed this series away. If Coglinao didn't suck he would have finished that ot chance. 

Yup.   Rooting for the Sharks to make it as well.

If they do, THEN I'm rooting for Jumbo Joe Thornton to finally make it to the Big Dance.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The last two paragraphs are not accurate at all, but so be it.  Lots of stuff we can talk about (and we’ve had some good conversations), but hockey in general just isn’t one of them.

You do realize it's also not just about the UFAs. The trades he made too makes it worst.

This is basically what Kekäläinen was willing to sacrifice to make a run this year... for a team who made the playoffs by like 1 point. Tell me that it's a smart move. He may not lose all of those assets in the end, but this is what he did put on the table and willing to lose for a run this season. It's ridiculous. He must have known if they didn't make the playoffs that he was losing his job so he thought, okay well fvck the future or something like that. 

Bergman

4th 2019

5th 2019

Anthony Duclair

2nd 2020

2nd 2021

Abramov

Davidsson

1st 2019

1st 2020 or Duchene

Panarin

Bob

Dzingel

Edited by SterioDesign

7 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

What a feel-good story for Maroon.

Gotta love the guy. 

100%.  He scored their first goal last night too on a deflection, and I was happy he got that one and was able to contribute in a Game 7.  I stayed up and watched until the end of the game, and when I saw he got the game winning goal too, I was thrilled for him.  Great guy, and awesome that the hometown hero is able to help them advance.  You can tell he was elated and sort of taken aback.  At this point I'm pulling for either them or the Canes to win the Cup, though I think it'll be the Bruins.

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

You do realize it's also not just about the UFAs. The trades he made too makes it worst.

This is basically what Kekäläinen was willing to sacrifice to make a run this year... for a team who made the playoffs by like 1 point. Tell me that it's a smart move. He may not lose all of those assets in the end, but this is what he did put on the table and willing to lose for a run this season. It's ridiculous. He must have known if they didn't make the playoffs that he was losing his job so he thought, okay well fvck the future or something like that. 

Bergman

4th 2019

5th 2019

Anthony Duclair

2nd 2020

2nd 2021

Abramov

Davidsson

1st 2019

1st 2020 or Duchene

Panarin

Bob

Dzingel

C'mon, it's not like EVERY last asset listed above is some major loss. 

Without getting into too much back-and-forth with this...there's a big difference between being understanding why a certain GM/franchise decides to go all-in (based on general circumstances, which I won't repeat as I already went into great detail), as opposed to being fully 100% on-board gung-ho about it.  Like I said, I'm not so sure I would've gone as far as Kekalainen did...and like I said, it would have been the state of the conference (being too strong and deep) that would've made me hesitant.  What's interesting is assuming Kekalainen actually DID think that maybe the Eastern Conference wasn't quite as strong as it appeared during the regular season (and helped to influence his decision to go all-in)...turns out he wasn't far off.  His team took care of the EC regular season beast quite handily in their first-round matchup...and we saw happened to two other favorites. 

That's not to say what happened can be considered some huge success...on a grade of A to F, I'd give Columbus a C/C-, mostly on the strength of knocking off the Lightning, who were CLEARLY supposed to chew up and spit the BJs out in 4 or 5 games, maybe 6 at absolute most.  But of course, the run stalled (too) early...if anything, an argument can be made that not going deeper after picking off a team like the Lightning in such convincing fashion makes their second round loss to the Bruins even MORE disappointing.  The good news for the BJ's is as dire as some are making their situation out to be, they still have a good number of fine players under contract...and will have some money to spend.  And I agree with what Lateralous said before...while losing Panarin will obviously hurt, Bob is exactly the kind of guy who could be severely overpaid in UFA...but what's interesting about him is his track record is just spotty enough (especially come playoff time, this postseason excluded) that I'm not sure that mega-offers will be awaiting him on the market.  He'll still get paid well, but he may be sitting and waiting for a while, and eventually could have to take a good bit less than he would've expected going in.    

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

45 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Wonder what happens with Maroon this offseason? Blues likely to bring him back? Would love to see him as a Devil again. 

I get the feeling he'll stick with the Blues (and for less money than he could get elsewhere).  I sure liked what I saw while he was here though.  Such an odd year for him...it was rough going for him for a big chunk of it. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I get the feeling he'll stick with the Blues (and for less money than he could get elsewhere).  I sure liked what I saw while he was here though.  Such an odd year for him...it was rough going for him for a big chunk of it. 

The Blues has two things no other team has :

Home and his Son. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Without getting into too much back-and-forth with this...there's a big difference between being understanding why a certain GM/franchise decides to go all-in (based on general circumstances, which I won't repeat as I already went into great detail), as opposed to being fully 100% on-board gung-ho about it.  Like I said, I'm not so sure I would've gone as far as Kekalainen did...and like I said, it would have been the state of the conference (being too strong and deep) that would've made me hesitant.  What's interesting is assuming Kekalainen actually DID think that maybe the Eastern Conference wasn't quite as strong as it appeared during the regular season (and helped to influence his decision to go all-in)...turns out he wasn't far off.  His team took care off of the EC regular season beast quite handily in their first-round matchup...and we saw happened to two other favorites. 

Just to piggyback on this, we don't know the ins and outs of Columbus. It's possible that management gave Kekalainen a mandate to make the playoffs or else. As fans, we want wins but for all we know ownership might be very happy with 5 extra games of revenue. 

3 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Just to piggyback on this, we don't know the ins and outs of Columbus. It's possible that management gave Kekalainen a mandate to make the playoffs or else. As fans, we want wins but for all we know ownership might be very happy with 5 extra games of revenue. 

Yeah that's fair...that could've been a factor.  I still think it was likely a case of him (and perhaps others in the organization) feeling that with everything going on, that their very best chance to at least make a deep playoff run was going to be this season.  It seems like a forgone conclusion that Panarin and Bobo are history, but they'll have the money to keep Duchene and Dzingel.  They'll be in position to overpay Duchene if they really want to do all they can to keep him. 

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Without getting into too much back-and-forth with this...there's a big difference between being understanding why a certain GM/franchise decides to go all-in (based on general circumstances, which I won't repeat as I already went into great detail), as opposed to being fully 100% on-board gung-ho about it.  Like I said, I'm not so sure I would've gone as far as Kekalainen did...and like I said, it would have been the state of the conference (being too strong and deep) that would've made me hesitant.  What's interesting is assuming Kekalainen actually DID think that maybe the Eastern Conference wasn't quite as strong as it appeared during the regular season (and helped to influence his decision to go all-in)...turns out he wasn't far off.  His team took care of the EC regular season beast quite handily in their first-round matchup...and we saw happened to two other favorites. 

That's not to say what happened can be considered some huge success...on a grade of A to F, I'd give Columbus a C/C-, mostly on the strength of knocking off the Lightning, who were CLEARLY supposed to chew up and spit the BJs out in 4 or 5 games, maybe 6 at absolute most.  But of course, the run stalled (too) early...if anything, an argument can be made that not going deeper after picking off a team like the Lightning in such convincing fashion makes their second round loss to the Bruins even MORE disappointing.  The good news for the BJ's is as dire as some are making their situation out to be, they still have a good number of fine players under contract...and will have some money to spend.  And I agree with what Lateralous said before...while losing Panarin will obviously hurt, Bob is exactly the kind of guy who could be severely overpaid in UFA...but what's interesting about him is his track record is just spotty enough (especially come playoff time, this postseason excluded) that I'm not sure that mega-offers will be awaiting him on the market.  He'll still get paid well, but he may be sitting and waiting for a while, and eventually could have to take a good bit less than he would've expected going in.    

i didn't say it was going to cost them all that. I said he made a bet willing to possibly lose all of those assets. It's different. If Pittsburgh or Tampa made that move i'd sing a different tune cause at the time they made the call their chances we're a lot better. Which means the risk is not as high and they wouldnt be as fvcked if it didnt pan out.

And again, sure teams sometimes don't suffer as much after losing big UFAs. Islanders are a good example... but can we deny that they'd be even better with extra assets from a Tavares trade? (i know it's a different situation and all.. but you'll never have a worst team by getting extra assets from your top players instead of losing them for nothing... that's just a straight up fact.) plus they probably would have got a better draft position last year. That could have "potentially" helped them in the long run too.

All i said is that i thought it was a dumb gamble, which is my opinion. And i said it almost went bad cause they barely made the playoffs... and i said it would likely cripple them... which it likely will. Losing that many assets will never not hurt you. We should know that. Our 2015 roster was in part that sh!tty because of that.

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Thats fair too. But again... im just not sure if im weighting the pros and cons... is 5 extra games worth the risk of stripping the team of so much and risking not having any playoffs for the next few years? When the team already never had success ?

Again gambling is not a problem and it just depends on your situation. And i personally don't feel it was worth the risk.