MadDog2020

2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

44 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I've never had anything against San Jose but at this point, I hope they don't win the cup.  Between the Vegas 5 minute major after the fact and last nights hand pass, they've benefited wayyyyy too much from unforgivable officiating blunders in these playoffs.   

I still don't think the Vegas major was that big of a deal. They gave up 4 goals cause they sh!t their pants and forgot how to clear the puck or play defense. That's on them no matter how much they want to whine about it. Plus they still had a chance to get it done in ot and didn't. Vegas has nobody to blame but themselves in my opinion.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'd argue the NFL one was way worse. At least this wasn't a knockout game. St Louis isn't out yet and if this doesn't fire them up to come out and kill the sharks next game then nothing will. 

NFL is definitely way worse in general. They have a bunch of old dudes that do the sh!t part-time officiating the biggest sport in the country, and have an ever changing rule book the size of War and Peace that nobody fully understands. 

I cut hockey officials a little more slack due to how crazy fast the game moves. Probably the hardest sport to officiate honestly. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I still don't think the Vegas major was that big of a deal. They gave up 4 goals cause they sh!t their pants and forgot how to clear the puck or play defense. That's on them no matter how much they want to whine about it. Plus they still had a chance to get it done in ot and didn't. Vegas has nobody to blame but themselves in my opinion.

I disagree, that game and series was over until they called that major.  Jones had just had one blown through his five hole for the 3rd Vegas goal and the Sharks looked done.  Say what you want about the 4 goals, the phantom major penalty is the only type of bad call that I can think of that could snowball into a 4 goal swing due to the guy being stuck in the box.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I disagree, that game and series was over until they called that major.  Jones had just had one blown through his five hole for the 3rd Vegas goal and the Sharks looked done.  Say what you want about the 4 goals, the phantom major penalty is the only type of bad call that I can think of that could snowball into a 4 goal swing due to the guy being stuck in the box.  

Definitely not a black and white event. Did the Knights sh!t the bed? Absolutely. But it was on a call that never should have happened. 

Posted (edited)

To conspiracy theorists:

The refs missed a clear cut puck over glass from St. Louis in the same game. It was a textbook example of the penalty and they didn't even review it.  Then, St. louis went on to score 2 goals in like 3 minutes after.

I have no issue with the blown call in overtime, it's human error and sh!t happens. I don't enjoy sitting through minutes of boring reviews from Toronto.  Less replay, faster hockey games please.

Edited by Rob_Ottawa

55 minutes ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

To conspiracy theorists:

The refs missed a clear cut puck over glass from St. Louis in the same game. It was a textbook example of the penalty and they didn't even review it.  Then, St. louis went on to score 2 goals in like 3 minutes after.

I have no issue with the blown call in overtime, it's human error and sh!t happens. I don't enjoy sitting through minutes of boring reviews from Toronto.  Less replay, faster hockey games please.

Nah. Reviewing a call for a kicking motion, interference, highstick, or batting it with your hand is not the same as reviewing an offside call because Taylor Hall's skate was an inch in the air when he crossed the blue line. Stopping the game to get the right call on a goal is not the same as stopping it to laser measure down the the millimeter where a skate/puck was in relation to the blue line. The latter is obviously egregious and if they want that level of accuracy, need to change it so that call is automated. The former has to be the right call. They are fvcking up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Ottawa said:

That's... an interesting take. 

I have plenty of issues with the blown call in overtime. If a goal can be overturned because a player is a pube-hair offsides, a blatant hand-pass needs to be reviewable. 

I don't need "faster" hockey games. I need correct outcomes. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

The league just can't get out of its own way.

That's an embarrassing way to essentially end the Blues' season. fvck what the book says, fvck what the ref did or didn't see - if it's clearly available in a replay.. make the right call.

San Jose getting a LOT of help this post season. Almost..  almost makes you want to grab your tinfoil hat and start talking conspiracy theories.

The league really, really wants to push the Thornton narrative.

I doubt that very much.

I've read others here say it was a simple blown call....Well.....

IMO, this was a PURPOSELY-BLOWN call to make sure there is a possible Game 7, PERIOD.

Another Game 7 = More TV $$$$$$

The refs aren't showing favoritism to the Sharks.

They are showing favoritism to the NHL and Bettman looking to MAXIMIZE Profits.

Pure fvcking Greed is what's at play here and you don't need a tinfoil hat for that sh!t. 

Edited by glenwo2

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, MB3 said:

That's... an interesting take. 

I have plenty of issues with the blown call in overtime. If a goal can be overturned because a player is a pube-hair offsides, a blatant hand-pass needs to be reviewable. 

I don't need "faster" hockey games. I need correct outcomes. 

He has a point in that there's always mission creep with replay where it's meant to correct obviously wrong calls but almost immediately becomes a vehicle to overturn calls that are razor thin and don't really have anything to do with the play.  I would guess that 95% of goals that were disallowed because of an offside review were by a margin of less than six inches.  I would also guess that the average offsides review takes more than two minutes, which means we're not talking about something obvious.

You'd think the answer is simple, make all calls subject to what we always hear the standard is, indisputable evidence, but they never stick to it.  So what they should do is what the NFL used to do, which was to give the replay official 30 seconds to review the play.  If he can't decide whether the call should be changed, the evidence is not indisputable or at least it's not an obviously wrong call.

Edited by Daniel

18 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

I doubt that very much.

IMO, this was a PURPOSELY-BLOWN call to make sure there is a possible Game 7, PERIOD.

Pure fvcking Greed is what's at play here and you don't need a tinfoil hat for that sh!t. 

You're insane.  This was game 3, homie.  Logic aside, how can you possibly decide now which team is going to need help getting to game 7?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Crisis said:

You're insane.  This was game 3, homie.  Logic aside, how can you possibly decide now which team is going to need help getting to game 7?

Yeah I don't get this either, if it was game 6 I could understand the argument but this doesn't gurantee anything. 

29 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

I doubt that very much.

Oh Jesus Christ please tell me this is satire.

9 minutes ago, Crisis said:

“Logic aside” is actually how he came to this conclusion

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Seems to be the theme of most of his posts

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Crisis said:

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Yeah I don't get this either, if it was game 6 I could understand the argument but this doesn't gurantee anything. 

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

Oh Jesus Christ please tell me this is satire.

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

Seems to be the theme of most of his posts

So none of you believe the Refs could purposely blow a call to extend the series?     

I know it was only game 3 but no one can sit there and tell me that the Refs MISSED IT when an obvious hand-pass was occurring right in front of their eyes.    They were right there.   

My point being that there was more at play here than someone "blowing a call".      And that favoritism toward the Sharks due to some imagined Joe Thornton narrative isn't the case at all.  

Bettman could care less about Joe's "mission" to win a Cup before he hangs the skates up.    All he cares about is the NHL's bottom line, PERIOD.   

In fact, I half-expect to see more late-game "blown calls" to either team in this series.

All of you can mock me all you want (and you have been) but don't think for one second that Bettman isn't "hoping"(*wink* *wink*, *nudge* *nudge*) this series goes 7.  :closedeyes:

Edited by glenwo2

This isn’t fvcking wrestling dude. They missed the call. It happens. Not everything is a fvcking conspiracy. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This isn’t fvcking wrestling dude. They missed the call. It happens. Not everything is a fvcking conspiracy. 

Believe what you want.  

Just don't be surprised when these so-called "blown calls" happen.

and that's all I'll say on this matter.

We're going around in circles here.

Edited by glenwo2

10 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

So none of you believe the Refs could purposely blow a call to extend the series?     

Nope. Because in game 3, the blown call could’ve given an extra win to a team that didn’t need it, thus making the series shorter than it would have been. There was no possible way to know at that point. 

All of these conspiracy theories are stupid. You weren't here at the time, but a couple years ago there were some pretty asinine ones about the league being biased against the Devils because a lot of calls were being blown and/or replays decided against us. 

It was right around when we got the #1 pick in 2017 was just about the same time those guys “Homered” their way backwards into the bushes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, glenwo2 said:

Just don't be surprised when these so-called "blown calls" happen.

Because blown calls happen in every sport since referees are humans and as such, not infallible. 

• Like 2

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Nope. Because in game 3, the blown call could’ve given an extra win to a team that didn’t need it, thus making the series shorter than it would have been. There was no possible way to know at that point. 

All of these conspiracy theories are stupid. You weren't here at the time, but a couple years ago there were some pretty asinine ones about the league being biased against the Devils because a lot of calls were being blown and/or replays decided against us. 

It was right around when we got the #1 pick in 2017 was just about the same time those guys “Homered” their way backwards into the bushes. 

I wasn't here, yes.

But I remembered the infamous offsides on Taylor Hall that took away a Goal from him against Buffalo.   That was infuriating.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Because blown calls happen in every sport since referees are humans and as such, not infallible. 

Yes, I know Refs are humans and not infallible.

But it doesn't mean I should just assume things (like something so blatant as that hand-pass) to be a simply Human mistake.  

If that were any more blatant, the refs would've announced on the loudspeaker to Blues fans in attendance what they were going to do.

Edited by glenwo2

22 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

As other people have alluded to, yesterday's outcome doesn't extend the series one way or the other.  It was Game 3, and the series was tied 1-1 - someone had to win it, and without knowing who's going to win the next minimum amount of games, yesterday going in favor of the Sharks doesn't guarantee any extension of the series.

5 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

I wasn't here, yes.

But I remembered the infamous offsides on Taylor Hall that took away a Goal from him against Buffalo.   That was infuriating.

I didn't say they weren't infuriating when they happen against you. But I don't think the league looked at that game and decided Taylor is offsides because the Devils have to lose. That's just crazy talk. 

1 minute ago, glenwo2 said:

Yes, I know Refs are humans and not infallible.

But it doesn't mean I should just assume things (like something so blatant as that hand-pass) to be a simply Human mistake.  

If that were any more blatant, the refs would've announced to the Blues fans in attendance what they were going to do on the loudspeaker.   

Out of curiosity, who do you think killed Kennedy? Or Tupac?

• Haha 1

Just now, mfitz804 said:

FYI, both were Lou Lamoriello. 

• Haha 2

Just now, NJDfan1711 said:

As other people have alluded to, yesterday's outcome doesn't extend the series one way or the other.  It was Game 3, and the series was tied 1-1 - someone had to win it, and without knowing who's going to win the next minimum amount of games, yesterday going in favor of the Sharks doesn't guarantee any extension of the series.

And as I said, I know it was Game 3 but I'm not naive to believe that, THAT obvious Hand-pass was somehow missed "accidentally".    To the NHL and Bettman, I say : "Give me a break...." smh.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I didn't say they weren't infuriating when they happen against you. But I don't think the league looked at that game and decided Taylor is offsides because the Devils have to lose. That's just crazy talk. 

- I never thought the League wanted the Devils to lose that game either.   I was just pointing out how infuriating it was from remembering it.

- Aliens (but you said Lou....Aren't they the same? )

Edited by glenwo2