Taylor Hall to AZ, 1st Rnd pick, 3rd Rnd Conditonal Pick, Bahl and 2 Prospects.Dvs Retain 50% salary

Derlique

16 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Didn't he said in the article in the Athletic that he went into the 2012 playoffs knowing he wasn't going to be a Devil?  Like the teams he was considering didn't even include the Devils.

Forever Suter's bitch-boy.

Seriously, read that article and it's clear Suter was the 'man' in that relationship.

Zach has several way, way better options than Minnesota and Suter is like "nah I wanna play in Minnesota" so.. Zach yielded.  Yikes.

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

It's 2019, nobody should care about Parise anymore. Plus he's never going to win a cup in Minnesota anyway. 

Yep. He came as close as he’s ever gonna come to winning a Cup in 2012. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yep. He came as close as he’s ever gonna come to winning a Cup in 2012. 

From this Athletic article https://theathletic.com/917072/2019/04/10/zach-parise-wild-rebuild-paul-fenton-age-ryan-suter/  - can anyone spare a violin? 🎻

But the reality is, you don’t get any younger in this life, and one day Parise was going to wake up and be 35.

That, folks, will happen this July 28.

This is also very possibly why Parise was so candid during locker-room cleanup day Tuesday.

Parise’s hitting that midlife crisis stage where it has suddenly dawned on him that his window toward winning a Stanley Cup in the prime of his career in Minnesota is quickly closing. He’s admittedly worried: “Are we taking a step backwards here?”

Yes, he has six more years left on his 13-year contract, but the Wild missed the playoffs for the first time in seven years. They finished 27th in the NHL in scoring, were the lowest-scoring team in the league the final 50 games and were shut out 11 times.

Parise’s suddenly looking around the locker room and seeing a lot of young, inexperienced kids, very few finishers and the team’s once-best playmaker, Mikael Granlund, now skating in Nashville.

“I guess looking at it selfishly, you only have so many opportunities,” Parise said. “I guess at my age, where I’m at in the career, you don’t want to be going through a rebuild right now. So, we’ll see what happens in the offseason and the direction. As far as whether it’s going to be labeled a rebuild, I don’t really know how things are going to shape out.

“That being said, it goes by pretty quickly and all of a sudden you play for awhile, and I’ve only had one real chance to win it (when the New Jersey Devils went to the Stanley Cup Final in 2012). And that’s how quick things go by and that’s how hard it is, so you hope that it’s not going to be something where it’s a few years of taking it on the chin and missing playoffs. You hope that we can rebound right away and be a competitive team to get back in the playoffs.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Seriously, read that article and it's clear Suter was the 'man' in that relationship.

Zach has several way, way better options than Minnesota and Suter is like "nah I wanna play in Minnesota" so.. Zach yielded.  Yikes.

First 15 secs or so...guess which one is Suter and which one is Parise:

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Haha 3

51 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

From this Athletic article https://theathletic.com/917072/2019/04/10/zach-parise-wild-rebuild-paul-fenton-age-ryan-suter/  - can anyone spare a violin? 🎻

But the reality is, you don’t get any younger in this life, and one day Parise was going to wake up and be 35.

That, folks, will happen this July 28.

This is also very possibly why Parise was so candid during locker-room cleanup day Tuesday.

Parise’s hitting that midlife crisis stage where it has suddenly dawned on him that his window toward winning a Stanley Cup in the prime of his career in Minnesota is quickly closing. He’s admittedly worried: “Are we taking a step backwards here?”

Yes, he has six more years left on his 13-year contract, but the Wild missed the playoffs for the first time in seven years. They finished 27th in the NHL in scoring, were the lowest-scoring team in the league the final 50 games and were shut out 11 times.

Parise’s suddenly looking around the locker room and seeing a lot of young, inexperienced kids, very few finishers and the team’s once-best playmaker, Mikael Granlund, now skating in Nashville.

“I guess looking at it selfishly, you only have so many opportunities,” Parise said. “I guess at my age, where I’m at in the career, you don’t want to be going through a rebuild right now. So, we’ll see what happens in the offseason and the direction. As far as whether it’s going to be labeled a rebuild, I don’t really know how things are going to shape out.

“That being said, it goes by pretty quickly and all of a sudden you play for awhile, and I’ve only had one real chance to win it (when the New Jersey Devils went to the Stanley Cup Final in 2012). And that’s how quick things go by and that’s how hard it is, so you hope that it’s not going to be something where it’s a few years of taking it on the chin and missing playoffs. You hope that we can rebound right away and be a competitive team to get back in the playoffs.”

Image result for smallest violin gif

I hope it really, really stings.  He probably could've got the same money (or likely more) on a cap-circumventing deal with the Penguins, Blackhawks, Kings or even the Caps and probably won at least one cup during his career.  Instead he's going to spend the rest of his days in the league on a rebuilding team because that contract is an immovable behemoth. 

Instead he was too weak to defy Suter and signed with a team that continually cannot get out of its own way.

Delicious.

Okay, sorry.  That's my last post on Parise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Sorry everyone, I didn't mean to derail this thread into a Parise discussion.  But since we're here, a couple items from The Athletic's article (it came out ages ago, I'm assuming it's fine to post them here):

image.png.1213890b8717da36303bc00db0eb7099.png

On he and Suter playing together - really reflects poorly on Zach imo:

image.png.f97fc047b0117334fa9343e5a17f14fa.png

On where Parise was leaning while Suter was talking to Minnesota:

image.png.1b4d16c282b60234f6ade9714e4f8f27.png

Lastly, on Suter convincing Parise to come to Minnesota and their owner stepping up:

image.png.1e00cedfd83192ffab4b41dbd643b6ce.png

I'm omitting a ton of stuff here - it's a great article: Halfway into Parise-Suter deals, here’s the full story of how it all went down

Bingo.  He never really considered us - we weren't as talented as the teams he was looking at, and we weren't offering nearly the same dollars.  I also heard we had a 7 x 7 deal on the table, and then something a little larger.. how the hell could he even seriously consider that when teams were offering him 100M+?

I guess we have Suter to thank for him not winning multiple cups with the Penguins or Hawks.

You notice that not once was NJ mentioned as a destination.  He wanted out.

From what I remember, all Lou said was that he offered a "competitive" contract.  That's very much open to interpretation, especially with Lou.  However, never once did, even in 2012, think that whatever money we offered was anywhere close that others teams were offering.  We were broke and Lou just didn't want to hand out those kinds of contracts Parise eventually got.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Image result for smallest violin gif

I hope it really, really stings.  He probably could've got the same money (or likely more) on a cap-circumventing deal with the Penguins, Blackhawks, Kings or even the Caps and probably won at least one cup during his career.  Instead he's going to spend the rest of his days in the league on a rebuilding team because that contract is an immovable behemoth. 

Instead he was too weak to defy Suter and signed with a team that continually cannot get out of its own way.

Delicious.

Okay, sorry.  That's my last post on Parise.

This has been my interpretation of why he left since July 2012.  He wanted to play where Suter played and Suter was clearly in the driver's seat.  I remember a day or two after he signed with Minn where Parise admitted him and Suter were texting back and forth throughout and after the playoffs that year about where they wanted to go play together.

He can go down as an above average player who accomplished nose in his career.  That's what he deserves by being Suter's bitch-boy.

• Like 1

Just now, SterioDesign said:

Anyway, enough talk about Parise. Our #9 is Taylor Hall now. And shero won't fvck up like Lou did.

Hall > Parise. Shero > Lou

We're fine.

I have been critical of Lou plenty of times, but I don't fault Lou nearly as much as you do about Parise.  Could he have signed Parise earlier before Suter got in his head?  Maybe.  Could he have traded Parise for a king's ransom before or during the 11-12 season?  Probably, but you can pretty much kiss the 2012 Finals run goodbye.

We also cannot get into Parise's or Lou's head so I cannot be certain on any of this.  Regardless it is done and looking back, we are better without that ridiculous contract that Minnesota is now burdeoned with.

Also if anything, Kovy quitting on us after 12-13, Marty and Elias getting old and a bare pipeline from bad drafting doomed the Devils after 2012 far more than Parise leaving.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I have been critical of Lou plenty of times, but I don't fault Lou nearly as much as you do about Parise.  Could he have signed Parise earlier before Suter got in his head?  Maybe.  Could he have traded Parise for a king's ransom before or during the 11-12 season?  Probably, but you can pretty much kiss the 2012 Finals run goodbye.

We also cannot get into Parise's or Lou's head so I cannot be certain on any of this.  Regardless it is done and looking back, we are better without that ridiculous contract that Minnesota is now burdeoned with.

Also if anything, Kovy quitting on us after 12-13, Marty and Elias getting old and a bare pipeline from bad drafting doomed the Devils after 2012 far more than Parise leaving.

well im not going to get deep in this convo once again cause nobody wants that. But like i mentioned above. It was not the first time Lou let a player get in a position where he can just walk. That's simply how he wanted to do things. And it cost us many many top players. It was really not as isolated incident

Then i know how ludicrous it is to say this but... in hindsight. Nobody expected us to make it to the finals... and we didn't win... we got to draft fvcking Matteau and we lost our captain and top player which is where our insane collapse started and we missed on wtv return we could have got for him. So... from a business point of view? So what if we didnt make it to the finals? haha OBVIOUSLY the "Henrique! it's over" moment was a top moment in team history... but we wouldnt know that we didnt get that in an alternate timeline lol

In hindsight though i don't think i'd change anything. Cause well i'm a huge Back to the Future fan.. so i know that if we change something... then it means we likely don't have Hall, Nico, Hughes and Smith... and maybe Lou and Conte would still be here... or maybe we'd have McDavid and Matthews? who the fvck knows lol At the end of the day i'm just happy Shero and Castron are here and that they know how to build an NHL team in the new NHL and that we're trending up.

Edited by SterioDesign

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

well im not going to get deep in this convo once again cause nobody wants that. But like i mentioned above. It was not the first time Lou let a player get in a position where he can just walk. That's simply how he wanted to do things. And it cost us many many top players. It was really not as isolated incident

Then i know how ludicrous it is to say this but... in hindsight. Nobody expected us to make it to the finals... and we didn't win... we got to draft fvcking Matteau and we lost our captain and top player which is where our insane collapse started and we missed on wtv return we could have got for him. So... from a business point of view? So what if we didnt make it to the finals? haha OBVIOUSLY the "Henrique! it's over" moment was a top moment in team history... but we wouldnt know that we didnt get that in an alternate timeline lol

In hindsight though i don't think i'd change anything. Cause well i'm a huge Back to the Future fan.. so i know that if we change something... then it means we likely don't have Hall, Nico, Hughes and Smith... and maybe Lou and Conte would still be here... or maybe we'd have McDavid and Matthews? who the fvck knows lol At the end of the day i'm just happy Shero and Castron are here and that they know how to build an NHL team in the new NHL and that we're trending up.

I can't remember another player that Lou had a realistic chance of re-signing and simply let walk.  Maybe Rafalski but that's about it.  Two players in the last 15 years of his tenure is not much of a pattern.

We probably would have made the 2013 playoffs if Clarkson didn't return to being Clarkson, Kovy wasn't injured for half of the half-season along with Marty and Moose not playing almost as bad as KK and Schneider were both playing at one point this season.  The 13-14 season we probably would have made the playoffs or at least be on the bubble if we didn't lost 13-16 shootouts in a row.  I just don't think Parise walking is really the straw that broke the camel's back on the Devils sucking; I think it is the reasons from my previous post.

But your last paragraph is correct.  We are better in this timeline than if we kept a 35-year old Parise whose body is breaking down on him with a contract that makes Zajac's inflated contract look reasonable.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I can't remember another player that Lou had a realistic chance of re-signing and simply let walk.  Maybe Rafalski but that's about it.  Two players in the last 15 years of his tenure is not much of a pattern.

We probably would have made the 2013 playoffs if Clarkson didn't return to being Clarkson, Kovy wasn't injured for half of the half-season along with Marty and Moose not playing almost as bad as KK and Schneider were both playing at one point this season.  The 13-14 season we probably would have made the playoffs or at least be on the bubble if we didn't lost 13-16 shootouts in a row.  I just don't think Parise walking is really the straw that broke the camel's back on the Devils sucking; I think it is the reasons from my previous post.

But your last paragraph is correct.  We are better in this timeline than if we kept a 35-year old Parise whose body is breaking down on him with a contract that makes Zajac's inflated contract look reasonable.

The Devils were at the top of the league in standings in 2012-13 until Kovy got hurt and then they lost something like 10 out of 12 games.  They got off to such a hot start that the narrative initially was “Zach who.” 

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I mean you honestly cannot be serious here. You can't remember another player walking? 

He DID LET Elias walk. He almost signed with the Rangers but decided to sign back with NJ. Parise, Niedermayer, Gomez, Holik, Rafalski, Clarkson all had great value when they walked.

Even Elias who's always been really blunt called out Lou about his ways of not talking to players about extension during the season and waiting last minute. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

They should sell this on a t-shirt at the arena. 

i design shirts for a living. I'd design it for free

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well it's still very taboo for many fans here to say anything remotely negative about Lou or admit he ever did anything wrong so i don't think it would sell too well haha

Lou did a lot wrong the last few years.... he also brought us three Cups and 20 years of sustained excellence that the fans of the 30 other franchises would give up their left arms for, so I don’t think it’s necessary to throw shade at him on a t-shirt.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Lou did a lot wrong the last few years.... he also brought us three Cups and 20 years of sustained excellence that the fans of the 30 other franchises would give up their left arms for, so I don’t think it’s necessary to throw shade at him on a t-shirt.  

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.b3102b91e03030ee53c4de004c69749a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Well if you’re gonna measure a guy’s success by Stanley Cups...

;) 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

It's useless to try to figure out specifics when the player is weeks away from free agency and has 100% of the leverage, as a GM you simply cannot let that happen for your top players. Even if the player do end up signing back with you. Its incredibly dumb to risk it. To make a long story short. Parise walked cause Lou let him get in a position where he could choose to walk. And as much as there was some complications around the parise situation, it was NOT an isolated case cause the same thing happened with Elias, Rafalski, Nieds, Gomez, Holik, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc The only time it didn't bite us in the ass was Elias. Let that sink in. He let fvcking ELIAS walk. 

And again, that's in the past thank god. And Shero's approach is flawless so far with his free agents through his career. So we have no reasons to worry. We had all the reasons in the world to worry with Zach cause it happened countless times before with Lou. 

I mean if you let your dog play in the road and he's hit by a dude driving while texting... sure buddy was texting and that's out of your control so it's easy to put all the blame on him but you did let your dog be in a position where it could happen. So it's on you. 

So there's a chance we could sign Lee or Eberle without a hitch is what you're saying. Lol. 

Lou reminds me of the stubborn boss who demands your absolute best but then screws you at your review by lowballing you and gives you no other option but to leave the company. 

1 minute ago, slasher72 said:

So there's a chance we could sign Lee or Eberle without a hitch is what you're saying. Lol. 

Lou reminds me of the stubborn boss who demands your absolute best but then screws you at your review by lowballing you and gives you no other option but to leave the company. 

Well true but it's one thing when your company is thriving and that it's worth dealing with the extra bullsh!t. Which is why he got away with a sh!tty approach with free agents... guys wanted to stay cause they didnt think it would be better elsewhere.

But when the business is trending down, that there's a good opportunity somewhere else, that employees are not having fun, the work sucks. Then you start wondering... why would i stay here when i could go somewhere... get paid better, be happier, i could grow a fvcking beard and use social media if i want to and not have to deal with all kinds of bullsh!t. And you look at other businesses around you on social media and everyone is having fun. Yeah, you'll think about leaving too.

That's where Lou lost it and where his unwillingness to adjust to the new NHL where loyalty is not much of a thing.

14 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I mean you honestly cannot be serious here. You can't remember another player walking? 

He DID LET Elias walk. He almost signed with the Rangers but decided to sign back with NJ. Parise, Niedermayer, Gomez, Holik, Rafalski, Clarkson all had great value when they walked.

Even Elias who's always been really blunt called out Lou about his ways of not talking to players about extension during the season and waiting last minute. 

i design shirts for a living. I'd design it for free

But eventually Elias did stay with the Devils, so arguing about him is a moot point.

Nieds wanted to play with his brother.  Lou even tried to trade for him but Anaheim knew this and wanted a King's ransom for him.  We even offered Nieds more money than Anaheim just to stay.  Nothing Lou could do here.

Gomez had 1-2 seasons as an impact player after he left us.  Plus you would have been livid if we traded him away when we were the top team in the East in 2007 heading into the playoffs.

Same with Holik for Gomez.

Clarkson wasn't going to get nearly as big as a haul as Gomez if we traded him, but he walked for a ridiculous contract to a team who couldn't wait to get rid of him halfway into his first season there.

Trading Parise when we were making a playoff push and eventually getting us into the finals was going to upset you at the time.  We both know this.

Rafalski is really the only one where you kind of have a point where Lou dropped the ball.

Regardless, I am not going to kill Lou over these types of things.  I go after him for his signings (Clowe, Ryder, Cammy, etc) and his awful drafting after 2000.  I think going after Lou for these is unfair because it is a lot of seeing things in hindsight.  At the time, trading guys like Parise and Gomez at the trade deadline in their last seasons with the Devils made little to no sense.  Both seasons we were playoff bound and both were still very productive players.  Playoff teams typically add players at the deadline, not purge their roster.

15 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

But eventually Elias did stay with the Devils, so arguing about him is a moot point.

Nieds wanted to play with his brother.  Lou even tried to trade for him but Anaheim knew this and wanted a King's ransom for him.  We even offered Nieds more money than Anaheim just to stay.  Nothing Lou could do here.

Gomez had 1-2 seasons as an impact player after he left us.  Plus you would have been livid if we traded him away when we were the top team in the East in 2007 heading into the playoffs.

Same with Holik for Gomez.

Clarkson wasn't going to get nearly as big as a haul as Gomez if we traded him, but he walked for a ridiculous contract to a team who couldn't wait to get rid of him halfway into his first season there.

Trading Parise when we were making a playoff push and eventually getting us into the finals was going to upset you at the time.  We both know this.

Rafalski is really the only one where you kind of have a point where Lou dropped the ball.

Regardless, I am not going to kill Lou over these types of things.  I go after him for his signings (Clowe, Ryder, Cammy, etc) and his awful drafting after 2000.  I think going after Lou for these is unfair because it is a lot of seeing things in hindsight.  At the time, trading guys like Parise and Gomez at the trade deadline in their last seasons with the Devils made little to no sense.  Both seasons we were playoff bound and both were still very productive players.  Playoff teams typically add players at the deadline, not purge their roster.

The fact that he did let Elias walk and that he could have signed somewhere else is NOT a moot point at all. It shows how reckless his approach was.

You're the one looking at these situation in hindsight and finding excuses for each of them. It's not hindsight at all, you simply don't let these type of player get in a position where they can simply walk on you, it's that simple. Others GMs don't let that happen either unless there's some sort of situation. Lou did it just cause that was his way. Remember that time Crosby and ovechkin walked cause well... the caps and pens were in the playoffs so they couldnt trade them at the deadline.... oh right no. Of course they never let that happen.

• Like 1