Taylor Hall to AZ, 1st Rnd pick, 3rd Rnd Conditonal Pick, Bahl and 2 Prospects.Dvs Retain 50% salary

Derlique

16 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

This is ridiculous. Waiting on Hall literally changes nothing for the market on him.

I don't think it's fair at all to call this ridiculous.  Initially when you posed the question to me I kind of conceded and thought you were more or less right in the sense that we can sign Hall shortly down the road, after all of this FA business is out of the way.  However, reading the last few posts, I think you are both right, to a degree.  I think you're right with the notion that if a team REALLY wants a particular player, especially of the caliber like Hall, they'll probably find a way to make it happen.  BUT, SD also has a valid point that it's not exactly easy by any stretch to just wave a wand and then poof, you suddenly have the assets and flexibility to just get it done.  There's lot of things that could stand in the way of acquiring a player like Hall, one of which is prior transactions (like the ones occurring now) which create a full roster, high cap hit, long contracts, NTC's and NMC's, etc etc.  So I think calling his point ridiculous is a bit harsh and unjust.

• Like 1

If anything. Hall can look at Tavares last year who went on to a "better team" and his old team made it further. You just never know. Or simply look at Tampa.

It's never a guarantee that you'll make it or not so if you're not unhappy where you are and that you are trending up. Might be smarter to stay and hope for the best than leave and still miss

• Like 3

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 2:24 PM, MadDog2020 said:

Ranger fans have exactly one Cup since the fvcking polio vaccine. Their arrogance isn’t based off anything but ORIGINAL SIX BRAH and BRIGHT LIGHTS BRAH. I just want this fanbase to have some fvcking pride in itself, the team, and the state. That isn’t done by acting like everything sucks. Some cockiness and arrogance would be a welcome change, given our history actually calls for some. As far as Newark goes, no one said it doesn’t need work, but Rome wasn’t built in a day. It’s not as bad as it used to be. You can go to any city in America and wander into a crappy area. Newark has work to do, but it’s on its way. 

So what you're saying is that the polio vaccine wiped out polio AND the hopes and dreams of every living Rangers fan for a few generations?  Jonas Salk rocks!!!

Unfortunately, I think a new disease has come around: Rangeritis.  It seems to manifest in an immense amount of arrogance based on the accomplishment of nothing and the distortion of one's teams achievements vis-à-vis other sports teams.  It even seems to affect professional athletes, luring them much like the moth is lured to the light with forlorn hope..... only to meet its demise, ultimately forgotten in some trash bin.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I’m not sure what this article meant. That he’ll play hard this year without an extension? They’re paying him to, that doesn’t impress me. Not to mention he’d be playing for his next contract, so no sh!t. 

14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not sure what this article meant. That he’ll play hard this year without an extension? They’re paying him to, that doesn’t impress me. Not to mention he’d be playing for his next contract, so no sh!t. 

It’s not really informative, just something to read on a slow news day.

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

That, it accomplished. I do appreciate that it was posted, as I wouldn’t have sought it out. 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Sometimes when you hear nothing it does mean something. May be this “investment “ is all we got. This article was typed from management position and spend much words for pour some water. 

I don’t try to start a panic on the ship, but I hope Shero has or think about plan b.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So, two weeks from 7/1 now and not a peep about extension talks.

Still very early obviously, not getting nervous.  Just thought it was interesting to note that there's been like.. nothing mentioned by any party.

This is exactly how they told us it would be. 

Shero's direct quote:

"It'll play itself out. There's certainly no drama on our end, except when people try to make it," said the Devils general manager. "He has one year left on his contract, and I hope to get to it much sooner than that. Let's play it out through the draft. Go through free agency. See where we go. As we go through the summer, we'll sit down and see where we are. Do it the proper way. It's not a big deal. It really isn't. Especially when it comes to July 1. What is he going to do? Talk to other teams on July 1?'

There is no portion of this that makes it sound like an extension will be discussed at any time before training camp. He specifically says he will sit down with him "as we go through summer", that doesn't mean immediately after July 1. 

On top of that, just because they aren't telling us about it doesn't mean they aren't already talking, so there's that too. 

I want the guy to sign long term so I will be "nervous" about it until pen is put to paper. But I don't read anything additional into the fact that its not done and that we haven't heard anything. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

This is exactly how they told us it would be. 

Shero's direct quote:

"It'll play itself out. There's certainly no drama on our end, except when people try to make it," said the Devils general manager. "He has one year left on his contract, and I hope to get to it much sooner than that. Let's play it out through the draft. Go through free agency. See where we go. As we go through the summer, we'll sit down and see where we are. Do it the proper way. It's not a big deal. It really isn't. Especially when it comes to July 1. What is he going to do? Talk to other teams on July 1?'

There is no portion of this that makes it sound like an extension will be discussed at any time before training camp. He specifically says he will sit down with him "as we go through summer", that doesn't mean immediately after July 1. 

On top of that, just because they aren't telling us about it doesn't mean they aren't already talking, so there's that too. 

I want the guy to sign long term so I will be "nervous" about it until pen is put to paper. But I don't read anything additional into the fact that its not done and that we haven't heard anything. 

The bolded sums it up.  Everyone looking for something to read into.  I'm not going to pretend that I know for sure, but I still think he's re-signed in time. 

• Like 2

neither side is in any type of rush, they made it clear that they both have an agreement and understanding that they want to take their time with this and they will do that for hall. We need to be patient, whatever happens happens, but I'm sure as summer comes to an end if sheer realizes this guy is not going to sign options will start being explored. Either way the rebuild is over and this team is moving forward, for that we should all be excited.

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught this interview with Taylor Hall from about a week ago on TSN1260. He answers a question or two about re-signing with the Devils and such near the end. Really sounds like what it's coming down to is where he wants to play rather than just talent alone. I've suspected that's what it is for him too - he'd love to play in Canada but also really has enjoyed his experience in NJ. He hasn't made his mind up but states in the interview that he knows he has to soon. It should be noted, this interview is pre-Gusev.

https://the-jason-gregor-show-website.s3.amazonaws.com/2019+July/HallJuly24.mp3

It's clear that Hall is a very smart guy, who is just as aware or more aware of everything that's going on with the team and what the outlook is than even many of us are. He knows the players available, he knows advanced stats (as Masisak said the other day), and he knows where the team stands. Such a guy is most likely real self-aware and probably is having a hell of a time deciding what to do as far as signing goes.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Just caught this interview with Taylor Hall from about a week ago on TSN1260. He answers a question or two about re-signing with the Devils and such near the end. Really sounds like what it's coming down to is where he wants to play rather than just talent alone. I've suspected that's what it is for him too - he'd love to play in Canada but also really has enjoyed his experience in NJ. He hasn't made his mind up but states in the interview that he knows he has to soon. It should be noted, this interview is pre-Gusev.

It's clear that Hall is a very smart guy, who is just as aware or more aware of everything that's going on with the team and what the outlook is than even many of us are. He knows the players available, he knows advanced stats (as Masisak said the other day), and he knows where the team stands. Such a guy is most likely real self-aware and probably is having a hell of a time deciding what to do as far as signing goes.

At least he acknowledges that he needs to make a decision soon.

It'd be a real bitch to see him traded but.. it's the smart move if he doesn't want to commit sooner than later.

9 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

For the majority of players, alot of focus is given to where then would live, esp if they have a wife, or significant other living with them. That's a huge part of any move.  Does halls gf loveJersey, or does she want a change, be it for personal or career reasons.   That could also be a reason for some delay, if shes not sure and keeps flipflopping.

Dont forget being traded to someone for a few yrs is totally different then deciding if you want to live in that state for over 5 years. 

Yes, the team moves help some, but where you live for 5plus years is equally, if not more important to many.

15 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Can we message her on Facebook or something? I would like to arrange this. 

2022 Maple Leaf Taylor Hall interview with The Athletic:

"Yeah it was weird, I was in Ray's office; seconds away from inking an 8-year contract, and my girlfriend called me saying some crazy Devil's fan was messaging her on FB something about his balls and broken glass and farts. Very weird, but that's why I didn't sign with NJ." 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

2022 Maple Leaf Taylor Hall interview with The Athletic:

"Yeah it was weird, I was in Ray's office; seconds away from inking an 8-year contract, and my girlfriend called me saying some crazy Devil's fan was messaging her on FB something about his balls and broken glass and farts. Very weird, but that's why I didn't sign with NJ." 

"Then I started researching it and found this message board called NJDevs, and learned that a guy named @MB3 had a very strange concept of rewarding me for my MVP season. I began to fear for my own safety and felt that fleeing to Canada was essential for my survival. Plus, walkie-talkies can't really reach from Toronto to Newark, so my girlfriend wouldn't have to fart into it anymore."

• Haha 1

atleast he is starting to be a little more straight up about this, hopefully he will come forward if he does decide that he doesn't want to stay in NJ. Unfortunately even through trade, how would we be able to replace the hole that he would leave.

To he clear, I'm making my best assumption that part of Hall wants to play in a Canadien market. It's not a direct quote. But if you listen to the interview, that's what comes through. He offers interesting perspective about what he thinks the NHL should do to advance hockey in the United States and how to make the game more exciting for US fans. And of course, at the end when he reveals he hasnt made up his mind. Never does he come close to saying, "I just wanted to see the Devils grab some talent, show they're serious, and I'd like to make it work." He instead seems super ambivalent. Appreciates NJ, appreciates Devils fans, but isn't sure what to do. That part is clear. And it's also easy to see in the interview how connected he is with Canada, Toronto specifically. 

Edited by Neb00rs

6 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

atleast he is starting to be a little more straight up about this, hopefully he will come forward if he does decide that he doesn't want to stay in NJ. Unfortunately even through trade, how would we be able to replace the hole that he would leave.

Yeah this. When Hall says in the interview that he has to make his mind up soon, it sounded like that meant "this summer" and not "next summer." He seems to appreciate Tavares going to UFA (he discusses it in this interview and I heard him mention it a few weeks ago) but he also is smart enough to know that it's not going to go the same way with the Devils. The only way he's getting to UFA is if he's traded. Hall's interview might also not have revealed a player who is dying to stay in NJ - which we'd all love to hear. But at the very least, he isn't pulling a Tavares and bullsh!tting us. I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure I remember Tavares stringing the Isles along, even saying things like, "I hope to make it work" or something to that effect re: staying in Long Island. It's not hard to see why the organization was dumb enough to hold on to him.