Taylor Hall to AZ, 1st Rnd pick, 3rd Rnd Conditonal Pick, Bahl and 2 Prospects.Dvs Retain 50% salary

Derlique

What’s a realistic return for Taylor Hall at the trade deadline?

When was the last time a Hart Trophy winner was available as a trade-deadline rental? We could technically say Jaromir Jagr in 2015, but he was 43, and Martin St-Louis was 38 when he got dealt. Even Peter Forsberg was 33 and no longer at the peak of his powers when traded in 2007. There’s almost no precedent for what Hall could be at the 2020 deadline: a 28-year-old star in the cap era, still close to his peak years, less than two years removed from winning the MVP, available as a rental piece for a contending team. Despite his early-season struggles with the Devils this season, he’d still be an extremely impactful first-line addition on almost any roster.

We can thus expect Devils GM Ray Shero to demand an astronomical price for Hall. The 2019 trade deadline had some top-end forwards available to rent, so we can use them as a reasonable and recent baseline to generate a Hall scenario.

Mark Stone netted Ottawa a truly A-plus prospect in defenseman Erik Brannstrom, a warm body in Oscar Lindberg and a 2020 second-round pick. Matt Duchene brought in prospects Vitaly Abramov, Jonathan Davidsson, a 2019 first-round pick and a 2020 first-rounder conditional on Duchene re-signing with Columbus, which he didn’t.

I love Stone as much as the next person does but, with all due respect to him and Duchene, neither of them has a Hart Trophy. So I think Stone would be the floor for a Hall trade. Think first-round pick and elite-level prospect at minimum, plus maybe another decent depth prospect.

As an example: I was asked this week about the Carolina Hurricanes’ chances of getting Hall. If we follow the Stone/Duchene trade model, Hall would cost something like Dominik Bokk, Jake Bean and Carolina’s 2020 first-round selection.

If the Hall negotiations appear to be heading south, the Devils will be virtually guaranteed a delectable pile of foundational players and/or picks in any trade for him. That’s why, as a Devils fan, you want the team to be great or terrible but nowhere in between this season. The worst-case scenario would be the team hanging around the playoff bubble, retaining Hall as an “in-house” rental, missing the playoffs or losing quickly in the playoffs, then losing Hall as a UFA. That’s what happened to Columbus with its top UFAs last spring.

So the Devils having the fewest points in the NHL as of today isn’t the worst news. It’s nice and definitive. It could make future decisions easier for Hall and Shero.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/ask-me-anything-what-could-the-devils-get-in-a-taylor-hall-trade

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 11:53 AM, NJDevs4978 said:

Hall is the Devils’ version of Cespedes...a loser player with good offensive numbers before he got here, one transcendent year here but now we’re back to underachieving disappointment and moodiness after. At least we didn’t give Hall a sh!t ton of money yet though.

Very well said imo. I will be way more disappointed if we go balls deep with this guy than trading him off for whatever we can get. 

Edited by titans04
  • Like 1

Hall has got to go. I won't miss him, nor boo him when he returns. He never asked or wanted to be here, he was forced here. A few picks and a prospect will be a great return. He doesn't fit in at all with our timeline to compete, which seems to be another 2-3 years away if we get the right pieces. Thank you Taylor for hopefully hooking us up with good pieces.

• Like 2

I haven’t thought he was going to resign, but at this point I think it’s pretty clear he is not going to. All of the BS about how great it is to live in New Jersey and how he would appreciate that was wishful thinking. He doesn’t want to be here, he never wanted to be here, it’s time for him to go. Ray needs to get the most he can get it and be done with it.

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

It isn’t entirely unfair to wonder if whatever is infecting Taylor Hall has a hold of the rest of the locker room too. 

if anyone’s not listened to spitting chiclets I think it’s a must-listen for hockey fans; but MackKinnon (I think?) talked about the duchene trade and said even though we lost an incredible player, one of our best, it took a big weight off the locker room because there wasn’t a daily “I wonder if he’s being dealt” thought process in the room. It made the locker room feel more settled and allowed for new leaders (him) to step up. 

Yeah it definitely was Mac that said it. The second the distraction was over, they finally gelled as a team and moved forward together.

4 hours ago, nessus said:

If they trade Hall to Montreal, Shero's got to shoot for getting Cayden Primeau as part of the return.

Just outta curiosity, why not Caulfield to play with Jack again once he’s ready?

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Just outta curiosity, why not Caulfield to play with Jack again once he’s ready?

I would definitely not object to getting Caufield. I think he will be a great player, irrespective of how he has done on Jack's wing in the past. I mentioned Primeau because he is such a great goaltending prospect. He has performed very well at every level so far, and I would bet on him being an effective NHL goalie too. Having a goalie his age with the rest of the core of this team would be a really good foundation for a competitive team.

Also, regarding the article that @MadDog2020 posted, I would hope that Shero has enough insight to realize that if Hall is not signed near the trade deadline, he needs to be traded. I think there's a lot of middle ground between "great" and "terrible" where Shero would still trade Hall. Good thing Lou is gone.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nessus said:

I would definitely not object to getting Caufield. I think he will be a great player, irrespective of how he has done on Jack's wing in the past. I mentioned Primeau because he is such a great goaltending prospect. He has performed very well at every level so far, and I would bet on him being an effective NHL goalie too. Having a goalie his age with the rest of the core of this team would be a really good foundation for a competitive team.

I wouldn’t imagine anyone would give a top great goalie prospect for a half season of Hall. Or are we signing and trading?

Also, we should get Caufield because he’ll make Hughes look huge. 

Edited by mfitz804

4 hours ago, MB3 said:

It isn’t entirely unfair to wonder if whatever is infecting Taylor Hall has a hold of the rest of the locker room too. 

if anyone’s not listened to spitting chiclets I think it’s a must-listen for hockey fans; but MackKinnon (I think?) talked about the duchene trade and said even though we lost an incredible player, one of our best, it took a big weight off the locker room because there wasn’t a daily “I wonder if he’s being dealt” thought process in the room. It made the locker room feel more settled and allowed for new leaders (him) to step up. 

I fully agree with this and it's not that hard to imagine, they've been relying on him so much and seeing him as a leader. Even if you're a paid professional it has to be hard to really follow someone you don't know will be your teammate the next day.

2 hours ago, nessus said:

Also, regarding the article that @MadDog2020 posted, I would hope that Shero has enough insight to realize that if Hall is not signed near the trade deadline, he needs to be traded. I think there's a lot of middle ground between "great" and "terrible" where Shero would still trade Hall. Good thing Lou is gone.

This whole thing has been incredibly weird cause it's the first time ever that Shero let a situation like this get this far. He always signed his upcoming top UFAs in july or august at the latest. To let it go in the season is unheard of.

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Caufield dropped super far in the draft but I have to think he's highly valued. A Hall rental 1 for 1 probably won't get it done. A trade involving those two would have a lot of extra this and that going both ways. 

He didn't really drop he was projected late first round and he actually rise a bit after the world juniors

I know this is a garbage website but...

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2019/11/nhl-trade-rumors-taylor-hall-for-adam-larsson.html?fbclid=IwAR1TOIREjFUF0QQVrDnzUFglPEutz7peDRPd8WmjA4UsONSqXBrq3bT1nCY&m=1

According to Joshua Marshall, Taylor Hall has informed his agent that he wants a trade as of a few days ago.The Edmonton Oilers are the number one team on his list.”

Seems like it could be a troll post though. And sorry about the huge text, it’s a copy and paste.

Edited by Jerzey

38 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I fully agree with this and it's not that hard to imagine, they've been relying on him so much and seeing him as a leader. Even if you're a paid professional it has to be hard to really follow someone you don't know will be your teammate the next day.

This whole thing has been incredibly weird cause it's the first time ever that Shero let a situation like this get this far. He always signed his upcoming top UFAs in july or august at the latest. To let it go in the season is unheard of.

He didn't really drop he was projected late first round and he actually rise a bit after the world juniors

Pretty sure I saw him within the top 10 a lot. Like just outside the top 5. He got taken at least 15 or something. Dropping like 8 spots is dropping to me.