Taylor Hall to AZ, 1st Rnd pick, 3rd Rnd Conditonal Pick, Bahl and 2 Prospects.Dvs Retain 50% salary

Derlique

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

I agree, and there's someone who's responsible for that.  Again, it's a more specific discussion for another thread.  But the undeniable point is that it sucks that it got to this point.

Shero's gotta go, that's the only acceptable outcome, that's what you're saying. It's a fair opinion.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Arguably the best player on our team right now was drafted in the 3rd round (Blake Coleman).

Blackwood - 2nd round

Bratt - 6th round

Boqvist - 2nd round 

Vatanen - 4th round 

There’s plenty of good players to be had after the 1st round...

One interesting thing is that of all the Art Ross trophy winners since 2000 only three were not top ten picks and one of those three was picked 11th overall.  And it's becoming more and more rare that you're going to find a real franchise forward outside of the first round or top 10 picks of the second round.

On the other hand, since 2000 there have been only three first round picks to have won a Norris trophy.  True a lot of that has to do with Nick Lidstrom winning it six times in seven years, but even if you look at the finalists all those years, you don't see a bunch of top ten picks. 

Obviously this trend didn't serve us well by drafting Josh Jacobs instead of Brayden Point, but it does offer a little cause for optimism knowing that our big problem is defense.

So we may get a 20th overall pick from Arizona and we have a few so so young players on the team that are expendable.

Can someone remind me what the Rangers paid for Trouba that we all wanted sooo badly?

Yes. Thats correct. it cost them 20th overall and a so so young player was that expendable.

#context

Edited by SterioDesign

1 minute ago, Jerrydevil said:

Shero's gotta go, that's the only acceptable outcome, that's what you're saying. It's a fair opinion.

Shero's kind of sunk cost at this point.  If I owned the team, he'd have some very hard questions to answer, the first of which would be to tell me exactly why these players you assured me were talented cannot, as you say it, complete a five foot pass.  I then let him do his thing for the rest of the season, since if there's one thing he does well it's wheel and deal and usually come out better than the other guy.  And when the season is over I want to know what he has in mind for a coaching staff.  If his first suggestion for a head coach is someone other than a coach who has shown he can win at the NHL level, he gets exactly ten seconds to say "sorry I meant someone else" before I go Les Grossman on him.  And if the fvcking name Mike Yeo is mentioned, even in the context like "I saw Mike Yeo at the mall yesterday," his ass is gone.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

So we may get a 20th overall pick from Arizona and we have a few so so young players on the team that are expendable.

Can someone remind me what the Rangers paid for Trouba that we all wanted sooo badly?

Yes. Thats correct. 

#context

A reminder that in 2015 Joel Eriksson Ek (bottom six forward on a bad team) was selected 20th overall.  #magicbeans #cherrypicking

Edited by Daniel

8 hours ago, Daniel said:

Shero's kind of sunk cost at this point.  If I owned the team, he'd have some very hard questions to answer, the first of which would be to tell me exactly why these players you assured me were talented cannot, as you say it, complete a five foot pass.  I then let him do his thing for the rest of the season, since if there's one thing he does well it's wheel and deal and usually come out better than the other guy.  And when the season is over I want to know what he has in mind for a coaching staff.  If his first suggestion for a head coach is someone other than a coach who has shown he can win at the NHL level, he gets exactly ten seconds to say "sorry I meant someone else" before I go Les Grossman on him.  And if the fvcking name Mike Yeo is mentioned, even in the context like "I saw Mike Yeo at the mall yesterday," his ass is gone.  

This also includes Dan Bylsma.

• Like 1

A reminder that in 2015 Joel Eriksson Ek (bottom six forward on a bad team) was selected 20th overall.  #magicbeans #cherrypicking

The devil's seem to have either picked or ended up acquiring a number of #20 picks it would seem over the years. There were a few good ones..... 

Screenshot_20191217-130703_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5d6c77abf462248c6096c3865c837861.jpg

While I understand what you're saying, which is that the draft slot doesn't mean anything if we don't yield anything out of it, but just pointing out the Wild making a mediocre pick doesn't acknowledge the strength of players that were available around that slot. For context of what we could get out of that slot, I'd prefer to look at previous drafts in tiers, and these were the players that were selected right around Eriksson Ek in 2015:

17. WPG - Kyle Connor
18. OTT - Thomas Chabot
19. DET - Yevgeni Svechnikov
20. MIN - Joel Eriksson Ek
21. OTT - Colin White
22. WSH - Ilya Samsonov
23. VAN - Brock Boeser
24. PHI - Travis Konecny

Just food for thought, is all. It's entirely fair to say the pick doesn't mean anything if we don't make good on it, but all I'm saying is that tier of the draft should have some very strong players.

My hope is the 'yotes fall out of the playoffs this year so the 2020 pick ends up in the teens or if they really collapse a top 10. I don' think that's really that much of a stretch, but they do have very good goaltending which might make it tough for them to fall off completely. Calgary looks like they are back on course in that division. I think them falling this year is much more likely than them winning a playoff round AND re-signing hall. This at least gives me a reason to check the scores/standings every once in a while, which I really didn't have before.  So I guess that's nice? The "Hall and Yotes" slogan is another positive?

Here's the real worst case scenario...

1) We finish dead last this year.
2) Hall gets injured his first shift
3) Coyotes spiral out and miss the playoffs
4) Because they have Hall, they win the draft lottery
5) Because we don't have Hall, we miss out on winning 1st, 2nd and 3rd and drop to 4th.
6) Hall doesn't resign
7) Coyotes bounce back and win the Stanley Cup next year

Edited by aylbert

1 minute ago, aylbert said:

Here's the real worst case scenario...

1) We finish dead last this year.
2) Hall gets injured his first shift
3) Coyotes spiral out and miss the playoffs
4) Because they have Hall, they win the draft lottery
5) Because we don't have Hall, we miss out on winning 1st, 2nd and 3rd and drop to 4th.
6) Hall doesn't resign
7) Coyotes bounce back and win the Stanley Cup next year

This will happen

25 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Curse you paywall!!!!!!

I am so happy with it.  I bought it on a Cyber Monday deal for like $20.40 all-in for the year...   I don't regret it at all.
It's really worth it if you can grab a good sale on it.

Anyways, check your PMs

Edited by aylbert

I have slept on it and I find myself a bit less upset by the trade.  I guess that I am just too exhausted from this circus to really stay steamed for long.

I still think Shero could have gotten more, even if slightly, but it is what it is.

I just wish that first rounder was not lotto protected.  I also am not quite as high on Bahl as a lot of others.

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I have slept on it and I find myself a bit less upset by the trade.  I guess that I am just too exhausted from this circus to really stay steamed for long.

I still think Shero could have gotten more, even if slightly, but it is what it is.

I just wish that first rounder was not lotto protected.  I also am not quite as high on Bahl as a lot of others.

What are the odds a team in first place at Xmas wins the lottery? 

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

In today's NHL, you never know.  A lot of teams go to hell in a handbasket real quick these days.

Edit: Also, if Arizona was so confident in their playoff chances it wouldn't have been lotto protected in the first place.

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

In today's NHL, you never know.  A lot of teams go to hell in a handbasket real quick these days.

Edit: Also, if Arizona was so confident in their playoff chances it wouldn't have been lotto protected in the first place.

I would hope all teams would lotto protect their picks unless that's part of the picks allure.
Like say Kuemper injures his groin and Raanta runs into trouble on his own... etc

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

They're in first place in a weak division and I think only two points out of missing the playoffs.  So if there are some unfortunate injuries they could be in the lottery where there would be at least 3% chance that they get a pick in the top 3 which means the pick slides to next year. 

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

They're in first place in a weak division and I think only two points out of missing the playoffs.  So if there are some unfortunate injuries they could be in the lottery where there would be at least 3% chance that they get a pick in the top 3 which means the pick slides to next year. 

I’m not going to worry about a 3% chance lol

• Like 1

Seems like a pretty fair deal considering all of the factors. Obviously not ideal but i'm happy we can move forward.

I'll be rooting for Arizona and Hall this season regardless of the pick status, they kind of remind me of us in that there were questions regarding finances and possible relocation so I'm glad they can inject some excitement and hopefully make a good run. 

• Like 2