Jump to content

Taylor Hall to AZ, 1st Rnd pick, 3rd Rnd Conditonal Pick, Bahl and 2 Prospects.Dvs Retain 50% salary


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Dude- Simmonds is neither here nor there. He's placeholder on a garbage team who will be long forgotten before things turn around. And whatever we get for him will more than likely be a AHL'er. The odds of that moving the NHL clubs needle his against the odds. For every 2nd and 3rd round picks that turn into successful NHL plays there are hundreds that don't. Frankly if you want to dig deeper how many have we successfully groomed through affiliated AHL teams over the years? I bet it's a really small %.

Or we can pretend we'll get something for Wayne that will immediately improve the big club.

I mean, you made a statement that was incorrect - most players dealt at the deadline are traded for picks, not prospects - and are now digging deeper by moving the goalposts.  How in the world are there 'hundreds' of 2nd and 3rd round picks that are unsuccessful versus each one that is?  That too is ridiculous, and you can just pick a year and find even in the most dismal seasons that there are at least 2 or 3 players from each of those round that make a fine NHL career.  So yes, there are 8-10 unsuccessful picks for each successful one, but Simmonds was signed for zero risk this off-season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bahl is obviously the most intriguing of the three prospects coming back. 6'6", 230 lb left shot defenseman that's going to be playing with Ty Smith on Team Canada at the World Juniors in a couple wee

So Taylor Hall admitted in his recent interview after playing PUBG that he “definitely” recognizes some of the same fans in the building every game.  And you guys laughed at me for wearing assles

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, titans04 said:

Dude- Simmonds is neither here nor there. He's placeholder on a garbage team who will be long forgotten before things turn around. And whatever we get for him will more than likely be a AHL'er. The odds of that moving the NHL clubs needle is against the odds. For every 2nd and 3rd round picks that turn into successful NHL plays there are hundreds that don't. Frankly if you want to dig deeper how many have we successfully groomed through affiliated AHL teams over the years? I bet it's a really small %.

Or we can pretend we'll get something for Wayne that will immediately improve the big club.

No one is saying that the future of the franchise rides on anything having to do with Wayne Simmonds.  It was no skin off anyone's back to bring him here, and we'll get a lottery ticket for him now that it hasn't worked out.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If it's a second rounder, between 30 and 40 percent.  If it's a third rounder, between 20 and 30 percent. 

Arguably the best player on our team right now was drafted in the 3rd round (Blake Coleman).

Blackwood - 2nd round

Bratt - 6th round

Boqvist - 2nd round 

Vatanen - 4th round 

 

There’s plenty of good players to be had after the 1st round...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Daniel said:

I agree, and there's someone who's responsible for that.  Again, it's a more specific discussion for another thread.  But the undeniable point is that it sucks that it got to this point.

Shero's gotta go, that's the only acceptable outcome, that's what you're saying. It's a fair opinion.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Arguably the best player on our team right now was drafted in the 3rd round (Blake Coleman).

Blackwood - 2nd round

Bratt - 6th round

Boqvist - 2nd round 

Vatanen - 4th round 

 

There’s plenty of good players to be had after the 1st round...

One interesting thing is that of all the Art Ross trophy winners since 2000 only three were not top ten picks and one of those three was picked 11th overall.  And it's becoming more and more rare that you're going to find a real franchise forward outside of the first round or top 10 picks of the second round.

On the other hand, since 2000 there have been only three first round picks to have won a Norris trophy.  True a lot of that has to do with Nick Lidstrom winning it six times in seven years, but even if you look at the finalists all those years, you don't see a bunch of top ten picks. 

Obviously this trend didn't serve us well by drafting Josh Jacobs instead of Brayden Point, but it does offer a little cause for optimism knowing that our big problem is defense.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So we may get a 20th overall pick from Arizona and we have a few so so young players on the team that are expendable.

Can someone remind me what the Rangers paid for Trouba that we all wanted sooo badly?

 

Yes. Thats correct. it cost them 20th overall and a so so young player was that expendable.

#context

Edited by SterioDesign
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jerrydevil said:

Shero's gotta go, that's the only acceptable outcome, that's what you're saying. It's a fair opinion.

Shero's kind of sunk cost at this point.  If I owned the team, he'd have some very hard questions to answer, the first of which would be to tell me exactly why these players you assured me were talented cannot, as you say it, complete a five foot pass.  I then let him do his thing for the rest of the season, since if there's one thing he does well it's wheel and deal and usually come out better than the other guy.  And when the season is over I want to know what he has in mind for a coaching staff.  If his first suggestion for a head coach is someone other than a coach who has shown he can win at the NHL level, he gets exactly ten seconds to say "sorry I meant someone else" before I go Les Grossman on him.  And if the fvcking name Mike Yeo is mentioned, even in the context like "I saw Mike Yeo at the mall yesterday," his ass is gone.  

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

So we may get a 20th overall pick from Arizona and we have a few so so young players on the team that are expendable.

Can someone remind me what the Rangers paid for Trouba that we all wanted sooo badly?

 

Yes. Thats correct. 

#context

A reminder that in 2015 Joel Eriksson Ek (bottom six forward on a bad team) was selected 20th overall.  #magicbeans #cherrypicking

Edited by Daniel
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Daniel said:

Shero's kind of sunk cost at this point.  If I owned the team, he'd have some very hard questions to answer, the first of which would be to tell me exactly why these players you assured me were talented cannot, as you say it, complete a five foot pass.  I then let him do his thing for the rest of the season, since if there's one thing he does well it's wheel and deal and usually come out better than the other guy.  And when the season is over I want to know what he has in mind for a coaching staff.  If his first suggestion for a head coach is someone other than a coach who has shown he can win at the NHL level, he gets exactly ten seconds to say "sorry I meant someone else" before I go Les Grossman on him.  And if the fvcking name Mike Yeo is mentioned, even in the context like "I saw Mike Yeo at the mall yesterday," his ass is gone.  

This also includes Dan Bylsma.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Daniel said:

A reminder that in 2015 Joel Eriksson Ek (bottom six forward on a bad team) was selected 20th overall.  #magicbeans #cherrypicking

The devil's seem to have either picked or ended up acquiring a number of #20 picks it would seem over the years. There were a few good ones..... 

 

Screenshot_20191217-130703_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5d6c77abf462248c6096c3865c837861.jpg

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Daniel said:

A reminder that in 2015 Joel Eriksson Ek (bottom six forward on a bad team) was selected 20th overall.  #magicbeans #cherrypicking

While I understand what you're saying, which is that the draft slot doesn't mean anything if we don't yield anything out of it, but just pointing out the Wild making a mediocre pick doesn't acknowledge the strength of players that were available around that slot. For context of what we could get out of that slot, I'd prefer to look at previous drafts in tiers, and these were the players that were selected right around Eriksson Ek in 2015:

17. WPG - Kyle Connor
18. OTT - Thomas Chabot
19. DET - Yevgeni Svechnikov
20. MIN - Joel Eriksson Ek
21. OTT - Colin White
22. WSH - Ilya Samsonov
23. VAN - Brock Boeser
24. PHI - Travis Konecny

Just food for thought, is all. It's entirely fair to say the pick doesn't mean anything if we don't make good on it, but all I'm saying is that tier of the draft should have some very strong players.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My hope is the 'yotes fall out of the playoffs this year so the 2020 pick ends up in the teens or if they really collapse a top 10. I don' think that's really that much of a stretch, but they do have very good goaltending which might make it tough for them to fall off completely. Calgary looks like they are back on course in that division. I think them falling this year is much more likely than them winning a playoff round AND re-signing hall. This at least gives me a reason to check the scores/standings every once in a while, which I really didn't have before.  So I guess that's nice? The "Hall and Yotes" slogan is another positive?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the real worst case scenario...

1) We finish dead last this year.
2) Hall gets injured his first shift
3) Coyotes spiral out and miss the playoffs
4) Because they have Hall, they win the draft lottery
5) Because we don't have Hall, we miss out on winning 1st, 2nd and 3rd and drop to 4th.
6) Hall doesn't resign
7) Coyotes bounce back and win the Stanley Cup next year

Edited by aylbert
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, aylbert said:

Here's the real worst case scenario...

1) We finish dead last this year.
2) Hall gets injured his first shift
3) Coyotes spiral out and miss the playoffs
4) Because they have Hall, they win the draft lottery
5) Because we don't have Hall, we miss out on winning 1st, 2nd and 3rd and drop to 4th.
6) Hall doesn't resign
7) Coyotes bounce back and win the Stanley Cup next year

This will happen

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Curse you paywall!!!!!!

I am so happy with it.  I bought it on a Cyber Monday deal for like $20.40 all-in for the year...   I don't regret it at all.
It's really worth it if you can grab a good sale on it.

Anyways, check your PMs

Edited by aylbert
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have slept on it and I find myself a bit less upset by the trade.  I guess that I am just too exhausted from this circus to really stay steamed for long.

I still think Shero could have gotten more, even if slightly, but it is what it is.

I just wish that first rounder was not lotto protected.  I also am not quite as high on Bahl as a lot of others.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

I have slept on it and I find myself a bit less upset by the trade.  I guess that I am just too exhausted from this circus to really stay steamed for long.

I still think Shero could have gotten more, even if slightly, but it is what it is.

I just wish that first rounder was not lotto protected.  I also am not quite as high on Bahl as a lot of others.

What are the odds a team in first place at Xmas wins the lottery? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

What are the odds a team in first place at Xmas wins the lottery? 

In today's NHL, you never know.  A lot of teams go to hell in a handbasket real quick these days.

Edit: Also, if Arizona was so confident in their playoff chances it wouldn't have been lotto protected in the first place.

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

In today's NHL, you never know.  A lot of teams go to hell in a handbasket real quick these days.

Edit: Also, if Arizona was so confident in their playoff chances it wouldn't have been lotto protected in the first place.

I would hope all teams would lotto protect their picks unless that's part of the picks allure.
Like say Kuemper injures his groin and Raanta runs into trouble on his own... etc

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MadDog2020 said:

A team in last place at Christmas last year won the Cup..... anything’s possible.

True, I think they’ll at the very least be a bubble team and sneak in though. They should be even better now with Hall. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.