Derlique

Taylor Hall to AZ, 1st Rnd pick, 3rd Rnd Conditonal Pick, Bahl and 2 Prospects.Dvs Retain 50% salary

53 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I suppose. 

I’d love for it to be done by opening night. I’m excited about the team for the first time in a while and I’d rather that distraction be resolved for better or for worse before we get started. 

Absolutely. That’s the issue- Hall playing with the Devils as a pending UFA is a major distraction. We don’t need that sh!t. We don’t need all 22 other guys on the team answering questions every day about it. We don’t need a new article every day about it. We don’t need the bullsh!t speculation from the talking heads. And by we, I mean everyone- players, coaches, fans- it’s the only thing anyone will wanna talk about. And this is before we even get into the risk of injury by playing him. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Absolutely. That’s the issue- Hall playing with the Devils as a pending UFA is a major distraction. We don’t need that sh!t. We don’t need all 22 other guys on the team answering questions every day about it. We don’t need a new article every day about it. We don’t need the bullsh!t speculation from the talking heads. And by we, I mean everyone- players, coaches fans- it’s the only thing anyone will wanna talk about. And this is before we even get into the risk of injury by playing him. 

Devils have had guys playing out the final year of their deals before.  They got to a Cup final with both Parise and Brodeur being pending UFAs.  That stuff isn’t always the massive distraction fans make it out to be.  That part of it can definitely be overblown...there’s only so many questions that can be asked before Hall and others finally say “I’m not talking about it.”  Zach got to the point where he immediately shut down any attempt to get him to talk about his future.

Doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t prefer that this gets taken care of sooner than later, either way...just because.  Sure, that would be simpler.

Really does suck when a guy like Hall (similar to Parise) goes into a walk year coming off an injury.  Always muddies the damned waters.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

It's a double edged sword. The trend is to just lock up players as soon as possible because the closer they get to UFA the more enticing UFA is. Hall is a safe enough bet, get him to sign before he thinks twice.

Makes sense to me. 

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Devils have had guys playing out the final year of their deals before.  They got to a Cup final with both Parise and Brodeur being pending UFAs.  That stuff isn’t always the massive distraction fans make it out to be.  That part of it can definitely be overblown...there’s only so many questions that can be asked before Hall and others finally say “I’m not talking about it.”  Zach got to the point where he immediately shut down any attempt to get him to talk about his future.

Doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t prefer that this gets taken care of sooner than later, either way...just because.  Sure, that would be simpler.

Really does suck when a guy like Hall (similar to Parise) goes into a walk year coming off an injury.  Always muddies the damned waters.  

You know what it is though CR- it’s the elephant in the room. Even if everyone says ‘we aren’t talking about it’, it’s there. Everyone knows it. It’s in the back of everyone’s mind. We just don’t need that. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

True. But I’m duty-bound to point out Parise was worse, he signed a 1 year deal with no intention of staying longer, it was just to show he was back. 

At least Hall is still under contract. If he leaves I’ll still hate him because I’m irrational, but not as much as I irrationally hate Parise. 

Which is less than I hate Kovalchuk. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

True. But I’m duty-bound to point out Parise was worse, he signed a 1 year deal with no intention of staying longer, it was just to show he was back. 

At least Hall is still under contract. If he leaves I’ll still hate him because I’m irrational, but not as much as I irrationally hate Parise. 

Which is less than I hate Kovalchuk. 

Don’t want to go TOO into Parise because I don’t want to wake any sleeping dogs...but IIRC he was a RFA at the time he signed the one-year deal.  Wasn’t like he had much choice, and his trade value was screwed due to his injury...and that continued early on that year, as it took him some time to get going.  

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Don’t want to go TOO into Parise because I don’t want to wake any sleeping dogs...but IIRC he was a RFA at the time he signed the one-year deal.  Wasn’t like he had much choice, and his trade value was screwed due to his injury...and that continued early on that year, as it took him some time to get going.  

He could’ve signed more than a 1 year deal, obviously. Yes, it would have been for multiple UFA years. But he could’ve. He didn’t because he knew he didn’t want to be here.

Fvck that guy.*

* I acknowledge this is not rational, but as a fan, I’m entitled to have irrational emotional feelings about my team. 

• Like 4

there's one benefit to getting old and that's you simply don't care enough to worry about sh!t like this, it really is refreshing.

7 minutes ago, titans04 said:

there's one benefit to getting old and that's you simply don't care enough to worry about sh!t like this, it really is refreshing.

I don’t know if you’re older than me, but I’m older than a lot of our board members and I’m still nuts. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t know if you’re older than me, but I’m older than a lot of our board members and I’m still nuts. 

Like I’ve mentioned, I’ll be 50 next year and yeah, not all of my screws are tightened down as much as I’d like them to be.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Me too lol. Less nuts than in my 20’s, but when the money is down in a playoff game, I’m still a certifiable fvcking maniac mental patient. 🤣

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Me too lol. Less nuts than in my 20’s, but when the money is down in a playoff game, I’m still a certifiable fvcking maniac mental patient. 🤣

Oh jeez, you shoulda seen me as a teenager, ready to fight at the drop of a hat. It takes a little more than a hat dropping now. 

I wasn’t a picked on fat kid as some speculated. Which of course is offensive stereotyping of fat kids but that went unnoticed lol. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Oh jeez, you shoulda seen me as a teenager, ready to fight at the drop of a hat. It takes a little more than a hat dropping now. 

I wasn’t a picked on fat kid as some speculated. Which of course is offensive stereotyping of fat kids but that went unnoticed lol. 

To me it's strange that it's taking this long cause Shero never took that long to get something like that done. Almost all of his upcoming big UFAs were signed by early july of the summer before their last season. Whats the benefit of waiting longer at this point?

Of course anything is speculation at this point... But what do we know? Hall certainly doesn't sound like a guy dying to stay in NJ. Shero is still pretty secretive with his moves. Lots of big RFAS still not signed around the league.

So one can wonder if it's not all connected to "some" extent... what if Shero knows Hall won't be coming back and working on a deal which is why it's taking awhile and may stall other teams in talk with Shero to finish their roster... Cause Hall will be expensive and not that many teams will be able to afford him in 2 years. He's not that expensive this year.

It wouldn't surprise me if Hall's agent is telling him to wait until the RFA deals get done.

You have to think that Marner's contract, while not an exact apples to apples comparison, will set the floor for Hall's deal. If Marner comes in at a higher AAV than Panarin, for example, you can bet that Hall will be looking for something even higher imo.

The unfortunate thing in this scenario is that Marner could very well go until December.. so I don't know what you do with Hall in that case.

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Hall's agent is telling him to wait until the RFA deals get done.

You have to think that Marner's contract, while not an exact apples to apples comparison, will set the floor for Hall's deal. If Marner comes in at a higher AAV than Panarin, for example, you can bet that Hall will be looking for something even higher imo.

The unfortunate thing in this scenario is that Marner could very well go until December.. so I don't know what you do with Hall in that case.

Except Marner might not be signing an eight year contract - most speculate that's not what the Marner camp wants at this point. I'd guess part of the back-and-forth between Toronto and Marner involves Toronto not wanting Marner to go straight to UFA. A four year deal that brings him right to UFA is unlikely but on the other hand an eight year deal is not really what the Marner camp is looking for either given the rate at which contract amounts are increasing year after year. Point is,  it'll be hard to use his next contract as a standard for Hall if it's not a long-term deal.  For other RFAs on the other hand, it will set the bar in terms of years and $$$.

In Hall's case, he'll probably sign an eight year deal, the last year of which he will be 36 years old. In my opinion, the Erik Karlsson deal is the one to look to. He signed for 11.5M AAV over eight years and the contract starts in his 29 year-old season - same as Hall's next contract. Does anyone really not see Hall coming within +/- $250,000 of 11.5/8?

• Like 1

^Yeah, that sounds about right. Unless he takes a discount to play for a Canadian team...

14 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

55 here coming off an anoxic brain injury suffered in a accident last June which left me in a coma on life support with next to nothing odds to survive the first 24 hours. It changes everything and prioritized well just about everything.  So I'm playing with a handicap now but with house money. Still would get a little nuts around playoff time but not much else around here would get me on edge. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

^Yeah, that sounds about right. Unless he takes a discount to play for a Canadian team...

which he very well may if we can work a sign and trade for a team he wants to play on, could work out for both parties 

42 minutes ago, titans04 said:

55 here coming off an anoxic brain injury suffered in a accident last June which left me in a coma on life support with next to nothing odds to survive the first 24 hours. It changes everything and prioritized well just about everything.  So I'm playing with a handicap now but with house money. Still would get a little nuts around playoff time but not much else around here would get me on edge. 

Wow that's a lot to deal with, I hope you're doing ok. And I hope you sued the pants off whomever caused that accident, assuming it wasn't you. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, titans04 said:

My goodness.. happy to have you posting here man.  That's a whole lot to have gone through - God bless.

• Like 1

Damn... You have killed the " damn i wanna complain about my stress ! " game ... congrats ! We are out of the self pity business ! pfff... 
But seriously, glad that you are able to be with us ! We are lucky as well !

• Like 1

Glad you’re still here with us brother. 

• Like 2

Yeah, like others have said, glad you're OK man.  Jeez.

• Like 1