Taylor Hall to AZ, 1st Rnd pick, 3rd Rnd Conditonal Pick, Bahl and 2 Prospects.Dvs Retain 50% salary

Derlique

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well that's great. But that's a bit like every parents finding their kids beautiful. There's some fvcking ugly kids out there. It's blind love haha

Sure it is. I didn’t choose to be born and raised here. But I was. Therefore, I love NJ, flaws and all. What I get pissed at are people from NJ who take no pride in being from here. That would rather associate with a city that hates them (NYC) because it makes them feel better about themselves. That’s called an inferiority complex, and a lot of people around here have one. I can acknowledge the things about NJ that suck while continuing to love living here, and be proud of being from here. Other people not only acknowledge those things, they complain endlessly about them, and trash the state whenever they get a chance. To those people, I say ‘then get the fvck out, it’s better off here without you’. Those are the people who I wish would move to NY, because I honestly don’t want them taking up space here. If anything, maybe the traffic would improve.

7 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Sure it is. I didn’t choose to be born and raised here. But I was. Therefore, I love NJ, flaws and all. What I get pissed at are people from NJ who take no pride in being from here. That would rather associate with a city that hates them (NYC) because it makes them feel better about themselves. That’s called an inferiority complex, and a lot of people around here have one. I can acknowledge the things about NJ that suck while continuing to love living here, and be proud of being from here. Other people not only acknowledge those things, they complain endlessly about them, and trash the state whenever they get a chance. To those people, I say ‘then get the fvck out, it’s better off here without you’. Those are the people who I wish would move to NY, because I honestly don’t want them taking up space here. If anything, maybe the traffic would improve.

I don't really disagree with the above, but as far as posters here go, I think you're confusing self-hating/inferiority complex with Devils fans simply being realistic about why the Devils aren't necessarily an attractive UFA destination at the moment (and why they won't be surprised when certain UFAs decide not to come here, or even consider the possibility).  I think if you asked most Devils fans how they feel about NJ itself, they'd tell you that they very much enjoy living here, in spite of some of its flaws. 

Re:  the bolded, sure, there's Jersey folk who are guilty of that, but I can tell you that there's many more like me who instantly correct people who assume that to be the case.  I've had people say things like "The [insert team from NY] are doing well, you must be happy!"  To which I reply "Why?"  "Well, you're from New York!"

To that:  "No, I'm from NEW JERSEY.  New York has NOTHING to do with New Jersey.  It's an entirely different state, and I don't relate to it at all.  As far as I'm concerned, New York has as much in common with New Jersey as Pennsylvania, Delaware, Michigan, and Kansas do.  Don't assume that because I happen to live in a state that's in close proximity to New York, that somehow that makes me all things New York.  New Jersey is also very close to Pennsylvania and Delaware...why don't you assume that I'm 'from' those states?  Makes about as much since as implying I'm 'from' New York!"  Yes, I have said some form of this to several people through the years, who made mistaken assumptions about what it means to be from NJ.  Sometimes they're a little surprised by my passion, but that's something that's always irked me.

I don't even like New York, to be honest.  I think the city itself is vastly overrated.  And I really despise the fact that not one but TWO football teams play ALL of their home games in New Jersey yet STILL label themselves as "New York".  I'm a Mets fan (arrgh), but I readily admit it, if a baseball team ever came to NJ, I'm dumping the Mets yesterday for them...yes, the franchise is screwed as long as the Wilpons own the team, but the Mets are the only baseball team I've ever rooted for, and I do have lots of great baseball memories that go back to my childhood...starting with the first game I ever saw in 1977 as a seven-year-old, when for some reason my uncle decided instead of doing the humane thing and taking me to a Yankee game (like he did with my brother the following summer), he took me to a Mets game as a birthday gift.  Only a MLB calling NJ home could get me to leave the Mets behind, in spite of their endless incompetent on and off the field.

But anyway...I think there's much more people who see this as I do than you realize.  Don't confuse fans taking a realistic viewpoint about NHL UFAs as Jersey-ites loathing their state. 

And on one last note, as far as prime UFAs go, if you build it, they will come.  As this team becomes more attractive (and I think Shero is doing it right), I do think some high-profile UFAs would consider playing here.  The irony in that is that I don't think it will matter all that much...I don't think Shero will go ever that route unless he's convinced it's absolutely necessary, and probably a little begrudgingly at that. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

That’s because I like you man, you’re good people.... I just have an enormous amount of pride in where I come from. Just the way I am. I’d be the same way if I was from fvcking Kansas. Take pride in where you come from. Everyone should.

What if it's Detroit??

;) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

To that:  "No, I'm from NEW JERSEY.  New York has NOTHING to do with New Jersey.  It's an entirely different state, and I don't relate to it at all.  As far as I'm concerned, New York has as much in common with New Jersey as Pennsylvania, Delaware, Michigan, and Kansas do. 

I would've gone with "New" Mexico since they all have New in their name, but honestly, that's probably just because I have OCD. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm a Mets fan (arrgh), but I readily admit it, if a baseball team ever came to NJ, I'm dumping the Mets yesterday for them...

All it would take would be a team coming to New Jersey? That's crazy. That's like saying if the Devils left you'd become a Rangers fan. 

And what if, as was rumored years ago, it was the fvcking Yankees that moved to New Jersey? You'd just become a Yankees fan???

34 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

All it would take would be a team coming to New Jersey? That's crazy. That's like saying if the Devils left you'd become a Rangers fan. 

And what if, as was rumored years ago, it was the fvcking Yankees that moved to New Jersey? You'd just become a Yankees fan???

C'mon...after saying how much I'm NOT into New York, the last thing I would do if the Devils ever left town would be to join the dumbest fanbase in all of hockey.  If the Devils left, I don't know what I'd do...I'd probably so crushed that I don't know if I could watch hockey for a while...maybe ever.  The Devils are my absolute #1 team, the team I've spent countless dollars on going to see, the one that is helping me make awesome daddy-daughter memories as we speak.  I'd probably re-do my whole cave from the ground up, because I doubt that I could look at all of the Devils goodies I've collected through the years without a profound sense of misery and loss. 

As far as MLB baseball goes, I should clarify...preferably, it would be an expansion team that would play in NJ...a team with no history at all, starting from the ground up.  That would be the best possible circumstances, if I was ever to leave the Mets behind...to support a local team from Day 1, be a part of its history from the very beginning. 

If the Yankees had been the team to move to NJ, I don't think I could've made the switch because not only would I still have thought of them as the New York Yankees, I'm sure that they still would've been CALLED the New York Yankees.  No one would ever think of them as being New Jersey's team, truly.  They wouldn't ever be MY team...or truly feel like they belong to NJ. 

The second-best scenario would be a team that moves here with no deep ties to its prior location(s), that begins to build some in NJ, and in time is mostly remembered for what they accomplish here.  Very much like...well, the New Jersey Devils.  Or as a baseball example, a team like the 1969 Seattle Pilots...one season in Seattle, then they moved to Milwaukee to become the Brewers. 

But yeah, my post was much more black-and-white than was intended, re:  a baseball team ever coming to NJ. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

25 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

C'mon...after saying how much I'm NOT into New York, the last thing I would do if the Devils ever left town would be to join the dumbest fanbase in all of hockey.  If the Devils left, I don't know what I'd do...I'd probably so crushed that I don't know if I could watch hockey for a while...maybe ever.  The Devils are my absolute #1 team, the team I've spent countless dollars on going to see, the one that is helping me make awesome daddy-daughter memories as we speak.  I'd probably re-do my whole cave from the ground up, because I doubt that I could look at all of the Devils goodies I've collected through the years without a profound sense of misery and loss. 

As far as MLB baseball goes, I should clarify...preferably, it would be an expansion team that would play in NJ...a team with no history at all, starting from the ground up.  That would be the best possible circumstances, if I was ever to leave the Mets behind...to support a local team from Day 1, be a part of its history from the very beginning. 

If the Yankees had been the team to move to NJ, I don't think I could've made the switch because not only would I still have thought of them as the New York Yankees, I'm sure that they still would've been CALLED the New York Yankees.  No one would ever think of them as being New Jersey's team, truly.  They wouldn't ever be MY team...or truly feel like they belong to NJ. 

The second-best scenario would be a team that moves here with no deep ties to its prior location(s), that begins to build some in NJ, and in time is mostly remembered for what they accomplish here.  Very much like...well, the New Jersey Devils.  Or as a baseball example, a team like the 1969 Seattle Pilots...one season in Seattle, then they moved to Milwaukee to become the Brewers. 

But yeah, my post was much more black-and-white than was intended, re:  a baseball team ever coming to NJ. 

That's fair. Fvck the Yankees.

12 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

If Hall doesn't sign a deal by Wednesday, I'll be surprised, and a bit worried.  

I think you're going to be surprised and worried, then. 

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That's fair. Fvck the Yankees.

I think you're going to be surprised and worried, then. 

Really?  Part of me was thinking (and hoping) that the whole team all of us are speculating about Shero being able to convince him to stay, and Hall himself actually wanting to stay, that it was all just self-inflicted worry and torture, and that they'd inevitably come up with a deal once July 1 rolled around.  Sort of like how we were all wondering if Shero would do anything on draft day, and then he just casually rolls outta the gate with one of the biggest splashes during the weekend.  

I kinda figured they might not strike a deal today, which would keep the buzz alive, since a lot of deals are signed today even though free agency lasts a while, and then perhaps tomorrow, or Wednesday, the deal is announced and we all breathe a sigh of relief - meanwhile Shero and Hall are like, "We know it all along, there was never any doubt we'd get this done".

17 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Really?  Part of me was thinking (and hoping) that the whole team all of us are speculating about Shero being able to convince him to stay, and Hall himself actually wanting to stay, that it was all just self-inflicted worry and torture, and that they'd inevitably come up with a deal once July 1 rolled around.  Sort of like how we were all wondering if Shero would do anything on draft day, and then he just casually rolls outta the gate with one of the biggest splashes during the weekend.  

I kinda figured they might not strike a deal today, which would keep the buzz alive, since a lot of deals are signed today even though free agency lasts a while, and then perhaps tomorrow, or Wednesday, the deal is announced and we all breathe a sigh of relief - meanwhile Shero and Hall are like, "We know it all along, there was never any doubt we'd get this done".

That sounds great, but it certainly sounds like neither side is in a rush. I don't feel like they told us that because they are going to sign a deal on July 3 instead of July 1. 

But I hope you are right. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Hall is not an FA this year. Why would Shero rush a deal in the middle of UFA and finalizing other roster moves?

True, I just feel like he's still a priority, and I'm also not expecting major UFA signings, especially after the one we already got today. 

8 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Prepare to be surprised and worried. Ray already said they aren't sitting down until the dust settles in a few weeks

Oh, hadn't heard that.  Guess I'll be worried if it doesn't happen in a few weeks then lol.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Hall is not an FA this year. Why would Shero rush a deal in the middle of UFA and finalizing other roster moves?

so that if it turns out that it's a better option to move hall... that not all teams who would want him are all set and we're stuck with not much options to move him. which would give us a lesser return

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

so that if it turns out that it's a better option to move hall... that not all teams who would want him are all set and we're stuck with not much options to move him. which would give us a lesser return

Artemi Panarin was the only Hall-level player on the market in UFA this year. Duchene was probably the next tier down. The market for Hall won't change - he'll still be in high demand.

1 minute ago, Neb00rs said:

Artemi Panarin was the only Hall-level player on the market in UFA this year. Duchene was probably the next tier down. The market for Hall won't change - he'll still be in high demand.

some teams still made moves that would prevent them from getting hall.

Say we could have traded hall for Marner plus wtv...maybe then the leafs are not making a few moves they already did. who knows

2 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Yeah this... People will make room for a guy like Hall if it comes to that

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

some teams still made moves that would prevent them from getting hall.

Say we could have traded hall for Marner plus wtv...maybe then the leafs are not making a few moves they already did. who knows

Maybe. Or maybe the market for an elite winger in his prime stays wide open?