Taylor Hall to AZ, 1st Rnd pick, 3rd Rnd Conditonal Pick, Bahl and 2 Prospects.Dvs Retain 50% salary

Derlique

48 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Two things we've definitely learned about how Shero does business:  1) He is VERY patient and methodical, and 2) He WILL act when the time is right. 

So basically I think he will make a substantial offer...it may not be on everyone's "ideal" timeline (see bottom), but if Shero fully believes in Hall, then it will happen.  The big question of course will then be does Hall fully believe in the Devils?

Though I've always been in favor of Hall sticking around and remain so, I'm not 100% dead-set against Shero moving him if a deal simply cannot be worked out...there's enough red flags that re-signing Hall is not an absolute slamdunk.  So basically yeah, I'm prepared for both scenarios...and knowing Shero, I think if it came to Hall leaving, that he'd find a way to get enough in return that we won't be crushed by his leaving.

Ask me on 8/19 what I think will happen, I still say he'll be back...but more and more I'm starting think it will happen in season.  Nothing to base that on, but mostly because I originally thought it was going to be done by the end of this month.  It just seems like no one involved is in a big rush...and the fact that we haven't read about one party complaining about the other leads to me to believe that there's no discontent on either end. 

I turn 50 on 6/24/2020.  I'm quite positive that Hall leaving for nothing at the same time I'm getting my first intimate Roto-rooter lovin' will pretty much taint the Summer of 2020 beyond saving. 

I see it playing out where it is fully dependent on Hall staying or not.  I 100% believe Shero will at least make a competitive offer and will try to sell him on the team the best he can.  If Hall leaves because he simply would rather be somewhere else, then not much else we can do.  I just hope that if it ever reaches that junction that a deal can be made, even if it is for a return far less than what we would hope for (I still think any deal involving Hall after the start of the season would have a return that is less than what we would have hoped for).

41 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

He needs to sign by camp. No waiting until the season starts. No waiting until the deadline. Sign by the end of September, or Pack. Your. sh!t. 

Again though, if no offer has been made by then, why is it all on him?

That being said, IF Shero makes him a huge offer prior to the season and Hall turns it down...yeah, soyonara.  Shero's done about all he can to sell Hall on sticking around...if all of the moves AND a legit extension offer aren't enough, then what else could possibly change his mind?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

That being said, IF Shero makes him a huge offer prior to the season and Hall turns it down...yeah, soyonara.  Shero's done about all he can to sell Hall on sticking around...if all of the moves AND a legit extension offer aren't enough, then what would else could possibly change his mind?

Yeah, what I don't get about the "pack your sh!t if you haven't signed by September" thing is that, if he hasn't signed by September but it's only because the two sides haven't gotten to working out a deal yet are you really going to say, "Sorry Taylor, fvck off." I doubt it. It's not ideal, but whether anyone wants to admit it or not, there's only one deadline for Hall and it's the trade deadline 2020. Hopefully we don't let it get that close to UFA 2020 before making him an offer/signing him but that's the deadline.

Edited by Neb00rs

I don’t want to see him leave for nothing. I don’t want to be strung along for an entire season and then he decides to go free agent. I don’t really need him to decide right now, but if he has decided, he should be a man and tell us, so we can get whatever we can get. 

If he has decided to stay and all that is left is to work out the terms, then take your time, by all means. I have faith that Ray will come up with an acceptable deal in the event Taylor is willing to stay.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t want to see him leave for nothing. I don’t want to be strung along for an entire season and then he decides to go free agent. I don’t really need him to decide right now, but if he has decided, he should be a man and tell us, so we can get whatever we can get. 

If he has decided to stay and all that is left is to work out the terms, then take your time, by all means. I have faith that Ray will come up with an acceptable deal in the event Taylor is willing to stay.

Unfortunately we cannot totally avoid that since that would 100% be in his court.  I get if Shero gets frustrated if Hall is being wishy-washy, but he is stuck in a position where if Hall walks he knows he just won't be able to replace him easily and thus would probably justify giving Hall more time only for that to explode in Shero's face if he bails on us.

At this point after seeing many years of Devils and seeing superstars leaving us Hall would just be another cog that would sting to lose at first but we would eventually accept and move on.  I just can't put out quite that much energy getting worked up about Hall's decision anymore. 

The one thing that Devils fans are just going to have to be okay with re: Taylor Hall is that, no matter what, this is not going to be a situation where the player is like, "Nothing could be more important to me than remaining a Devil and representing Jersey." There is conflict there. He's not drafted and raised in Jersey. He doesn't spend any more time here than he has to. He continues to talk about how much he loves the city of Toronto (you can't really fault him for being passionate about the place). If he does sign here, it's going to be a product of him thinking, "The Devils have been a really good situation for me, it looks like they're the best situation for me moving forward, it's a pretty good area to play in, and thus, it's smart for me to sign there." I'm honestly okay with that.

1 minute ago, Neb00rs said:

The one thing that Devils fans are just going to have to be okay with re: Taylor Hall is that, no matter what, this is not going to be a situation where the player is like, "Nothing could be more important to me than remaining a Devil and representing Jersey." There is conflict there. He's not drafted and raised in Jersey. He doesn't spend any more time here than he has to. He continues to talk about how much he loves the city of Toronto (you can't really fault him for being passionate about the place). If he does sign here, it's going to be a product of him thinking, "The Devils have been a really good situation for me, it looks like they're the best situation for me moving forward, it's a pretty good area to play in, and thus, it's smart for me to sign there." I'm honestly okay with that.

Plus it’s not that far from Toronto, you could commute lol. 

I don’t see a single indication he plans to sign here. The only things I’ve seen him say are the things you are “supposed” to say when you play in a city. 

Edited by mfitz804

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Plus it’s not that far from Toronto, you could commute lol. 

I don’t see a single indication he plans to sign here. The only things I’ve seen him say are the things you are “supposed” to say when you play in a city. 

You joke, but the fact that Jersey is close to Toronto, is definitely a helpful fact in Jersey's quest to sign him. 

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If no offer has been made, then that’s a different issue, and then I shift my ire to Shero. There is no reason to not tender an offer before the season starts. This is a ‘sh!t or get off the pot’ scenario for both sides. Under no circumstances whatsoever should Taylor Hall be allowed to set foot on the ice for the Devils without a contract extension. 

20 hours ago, MB3 said:

Shero can not let it come to that. If he doesn’t want to put ink on paper after the incredible offseason the Devils had; find a suitor and ship him off. 

Does he have a no trade or a limited trade clause? Probably neither since he was traded to us. I don't think it's out of the question that he plays most of the year then gets dealt near the deadline for a first..  that not too painful for us

Edited by EdgeControl

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

If no offer has been made, then that’s a different issue, and then I shift my ire to Shero. There is no reason to not tender an offer before the season starts. This is a ‘sh!t or get off the pot’ scenario for both sides. Under no circumstances whatsoever should Taylor Hall be allowed to set foot on the ice for the Devils without a contract extension. 

Why draw that line in the sand if you want the guy back?

2 hours ago, Neb00rs said:

Yeah, what I don't get about the "pack your sh!t if you haven't signed by September" thing is that, if he hasn't signed by September but it's only because the two sides haven't gotten to working out a deal yet are you really going to say, "Sorry Taylor, fvck off." I doubt it. It's not ideal, but whether anyone wants to admit it or not, there's only one deadline for Hall and it's the trade deadline 2020. Hopefully we don't let it get that close to UFA 2020 before making him an offer/signing him but that's the deadline.

If the two sides are working in good faith towards a deal, then fine- no problem. However, if it’s one of those things where Hall is still being a little bitch about signing, and he’s showing resistance, and he’s still not sure, blah blah blah- call your realtor, Taylor. You’re outta here to the highest bidder.

36 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

If the two sides are working in good faith towards a deal, then fine- no problem. However, if it’s one of those things where Hall is still being a little bitch about signing, and he’s showing resistance, and he’s still not sure, blah blah blah- call your realtor, Taylor. You’re outta here to the highest bidder.

I don't think this is too far away from fair. But, and I'm not asking in any sort of rhetorical way here, if Ray asks Hall about signing come September and he is wishy washy, say he says, "I just need another month or so to think about it," then...are you really ready to say, "Sorry Taylor, you're traded!" at that point?

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 1

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Why draw that line in the sand if you want the guy back?

Because I don’t need him getting hurt and tanking his value. You can’t fvck around with this. I feel the best way to maximize Hall’s value is to trade him early on; he’d be healthy, and the team you trade him to would get him for a full season, probably making it more likely that they’d give you more back. 

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Because I don’t need him getting hurt and tanking his value. You can’t fvck around with this. I feel the best way to maximize Hall’s value is to trade him early on; he’d be healthy, and the team you trade him to would get him for a full season, probably making it more likely that they’d give you more back. 

Honestly, he’s coming off a lost season, how does anyone know he’s healthy. Wouldn’t 10-15 games to show he’s “back” help to show he’s not hurt and increase his value?

Assuming of course he doesn’t get hurt. 

6 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I don't think this is too far away from fair. But, and I'm not asking in any sort of rhetorical way here, if Ray asks Hall about signing come September and he is wish washy, say he says, "I just need another month or so to think about it," then...are you really ready to say, "Sorry Taylor, you're traded!" at that point?

Yeah I think I would.... not an easy decision to be sure. But my response to that would be, you’ve had three months to decide. You’ve lived in the area for three years. You see the direction the franchise is headed. If you need another month, it isn’t a great show of faith. You either believe in this thing, or you don’t. If you need another month, it tells me you don’t buy in. Therefore, I’m gonna have to move you- so keep your phone on. 

Edited by MadDog2020

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Honestly, he’s coming off a lost season, how does anyone know he’s healthy. Wouldn’t 10-15 games to show he’s “back” help to show he’s not hurt and increase his value?

And if he does get hurt, then you have a real problem. It’s Taylor Hall. You'll have plenty of good offers, regardless of him coming off an injury. 

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

And if he does get hurt, then you have a real problem. It’s Taylor Hall. You'll have plenty of good offers, regardless of him coming off an injury. 

I suppose. 

I’d love for it to be done by opening night. I’m excited about the team for the first time in a while and I’d rather that distraction be resolved for better or for worse before we get started. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It's a double edged sword. The trend is to just lock up players as soon as possible because the closer they get to UFA the more enticing UFA is. Hall is a safe enough bet, get him to sign before he thinks twice.

Edited by Neb00rs

53 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I suppose. 

I’d love for it to be done by opening night. I’m excited about the team for the first time in a while and I’d rather that distraction be resolved for better or for worse before we get started. 

Absolutely. That’s the issue- Hall playing with the Devils as a pending UFA is a major distraction. We don’t need that sh!t. We don’t need all 22 other guys on the team answering questions every day about it. We don’t need a new article every day about it. We don’t need the bullsh!t speculation from the talking heads. And by we, I mean everyone- players, coaches, fans- it’s the only thing anyone will wanna talk about. And this is before we even get into the risk of injury by playing him. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Absolutely. That’s the issue- Hall playing with the Devils as a pending UFA is a major distraction. We don’t need that sh!t. We don’t need all 22 other guys on the team answering questions every day about it. We don’t need a new article every day about it. We don’t need the bullsh!t speculation from the talking heads. And by we, I mean everyone- players, coaches fans- it’s the only thing anyone will wanna talk about. And this is before we even get into the risk of injury by playing him. 

Devils have had guys playing out the final year of their deals before.  They got to a Cup final with both Parise and Brodeur being pending UFAs.  That stuff isn’t always the massive distraction fans make it out to be.  That part of it can definitely be overblown...there’s only so many questions that can be asked before Hall and others finally say “I’m not talking about it.”  Zach got to the point where he immediately shut down any attempt to get him to talk about his future.

Doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t prefer that this gets taken care of sooner than later, either way...just because.  Sure, that would be simpler.

Really does suck when a guy like Hall (similar to Parise) goes into a walk year coming off an injury.  Always muddies the damned waters.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

It's a double edged sword. The trend is to just lock up players as soon as possible because the closer they get to UFA the more enticing UFA is. Hall is a safe enough bet, get him to sign before he thinks twice.

Makes sense to me. 

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Devils have had guys playing out the final year of their deals before.  They got to a Cup final with both Parise and Brodeur being pending UFAs.  That stuff isn’t always the massive distraction fans make it out to be.  That part of it can definitely be overblown...there’s only so many questions that can be asked before Hall and others finally say “I’m not talking about it.”  Zach got to the point where he immediately shut down any attempt to get him to talk about his future.

Doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t prefer that this gets taken care of sooner than later, either way...just because.  Sure, that would be simpler.

Really does suck when a guy like Hall (similar to Parise) goes into a walk year coming off an injury.  Always muddies the damned waters.  

You know what it is though CR- it’s the elephant in the room. Even if everyone says ‘we aren’t talking about it’, it’s there. Everyone knows it. It’s in the back of everyone’s mind. We just don’t need that. 

• Like 2