Derlique

The Taylor Hall Watch Thread

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

not to go back to this... and I agree with you 100% cause it makes sense right? Then why was absolutely everyone here against me when i'd say it was dumb of Lou to refuse to talk contract during a player's last season and wait til summer to begin talks when it may be too late. It's only common sense to protect yourself and keep as much leverage as possible. Doing it that way you give all the power to the player and it makes no sense. And it's not rumours, that's the way he wanted to do things it's official and proven. I'll never understand fans defending him on that

Fun fact: the seven years of bad luck you got for punching a mirror after Parise left will expire in a couple of weeks. 

2 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Fun fact: the seven years of bad luck you got for punching a mirror after Parise left will expire in a couple of weeks. 

didnt punch a mirror i threw my phone and broke the screen lol 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

didnt punch a mirror i threw my phone and broke the screen lol 

Ha!!! I hear you. Mine was more of a deep sigh and a long consideration about my season tickets at the time 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Ha!!! I hear you. Mine was more of a deep sigh and a long consideration about my season tickets at the time 

it was not as much about my fav player leaving than the insane frustration of seeing it coming and calling it based on the way Lou handled his UFAs that i always hated. I was already frustrated with Rafalski, Nieds etc etc i really didn't want to lose Zach too but sure enough. Lou paved the way straight to Minny

Which as annoying as i've been with this. Hopefully people see i just don't agree with his systematic approach... and that i didnt come off straight up delusional like Daniel at the moment... at least i could have rational discussions about it and use facts lol

Edited by SterioDesign

18 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

it was not as much about my fav player leaving than the insane frustration of seeing it coming and calling it based on the way Lou handled his UFAs that i always hated. I was already frustrated with Rafalski, Nieds etc etc i really didn't want to lose Zach too but sure enough. Lou paved the way straight to Minny

Which as annoying as i've been with this. Hopefully people see i just don't agree with his systematic approach... and that i didnt come off straight up delusional like Daniel at the moment... at least i could have rational discussions about it and use facts lol

I'm on your side for sure. I was drinking the cool aid during the Lou years, but now I am frustrated to see Shero quote Lou with "if you have time you use it." It's a stupid simplification. I think it is disingenuous of Hall to say he wants to be here, but only if xxx takes place. He is clearly just as open to leaving as he is to signing or else he'd just sign and then be an advocate for the team to help us attract talent. Sign and be a part of the solution if that is what you want otherwise I'd move him. 

I still don't get why he couldn't sign and have a gentlemans agreement with Shero that if things aren't working out in a couple of years he could be moved. I just don't want another Kovalchuk style will-he-or-wont-he summer. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Steadevils said:

He is clearly just as open to leaving as he is to signing or else he'd just sign and then be an advocate for the team to help us attract talent. Sign and be a part of the solution if that is what you want otherwise I'd move him. 

Well stated. 

Does anyone think it could be the Devils that are holding up the contract negotiations with Hall?  Maybe they still have questions concerning his health?  Maybe they want to see something else in terms of his rehab before the make an offer to him?  I would imagine usually in most negotiations it's the player that holds up the process, debating and talking things over with his agent, family, and what have you, but there's still the possibility that the team hasn't even made an offer yet, and I don't see anyone mentioning that.  Obviously not all of the inner workings and back and forth of a deal are always made public, but there's a chance if there was an offer on the table and Hall was the one holding it up, that we might know about it.

5 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Does anyone think it could be the Devils that are holding up the contract negotiations with Hall?  Maybe they still have questions concerning his health?  Maybe they want to see something else in terms of his rehab before the make an offer to him?  I would imagine usually in most negotiations it's the player that holds up the process, debating and talking things over with his agent, family, and what have you, but there's still the possibility that the team hasn't even made an offer yet, and I don't see anyone mentioning that.  Obviously not all of the inner workings and back and forth of a deal are always made public, but there's a chance if there was an offer on the table and Hall was the one holding it up, that we might know about it.

If one believes the things Shero has said, then i don't believe that's possible. He could be full of sh!t, in that case, its possible. 

I wouldn't blame him, a lot of people are just expecting him to give Hall a huge extension that will make him one of the 5-10 highest paid players in the league, I think it would be natural to have a little concern about doing so after a guy just missed basically an entire season. 

1 hour ago, Steadevils said:

He is clearly just as open to leaving as he is to signing or else he'd just sign and then be an advocate for the team to help us attract talent. Sign and be a part of the solution if that is what you want otherwise I'd move him. 

Nailed it.

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If one believes the things Shero has said, then i don't believe that's possible. He could be full of sh!t, in that case, its possible. 

I wouldn't blame him, a lot of people are just expecting him to give Hall a huge extension that will make him one of the 5-10 highest paid players in the league, I think it would be natural to have a little concern about doing so after a guy just missed basically an entire season. 

What kinds of things has he said?  I haven't been paying close attention, but I didn't really see anyone comment or quote something he's said.  

I agree though, and I've said it since late last year - I wouldn't throw the entire Federal Reserve at the guy - not with his injury issues the last season or two.  

If Hall doesnt sign by the start of the season he must be moved, or teams will just sit idly by and wait for him to hit the open market.  And we all know what teams will throw plenty of cash at him 

6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

What kinds of things has he said?  I haven't been paying close attention, but I didn't really see anyone comment or quote something he's said.  

I agree though, and I've said it since late last year - I wouldn't throw the entire Federal Reserve at the guy - not with his injury issues the last season or two.  

That he's part of the future, he's a significant part of the franchise, he wants to get to it sooner rather than later, etc. 

5 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

If Hall doesnt sign by the start of the season he must be moved, or teams will just sit idly by and wait for him to hit the open market.  And we all know what teams will throw plenty of cash at him 

We can trade him during the season, someone will want him for a playoff run. Will the return be better for us, probably not. Both sides should know what's up before the season starts and act accordingly. 

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That he's part of the future, he's a significant part of the franchise, he wants to get to it sooner rather than later, etc. 

Gotcha.  Well, I guess even if that all is true and we can believe what he says, that still doesn't necessarily mean that they've offered him a deal.  It's possible for him to still be part of the future and them not quite sure what deal they're comfortable in offering him.  In regards to the "sooner rather than later" bit, I guess that's a relative term.

4 minutes ago, John Wensink said:

We can trade him during the season, someone will want him for a playoff run. Will the return be better for us, probably not. Both sides should know what's up before the season starts and act accordingly. 

Can't risk him getting hurt and taking the majority of the season to heal up for July 1st 2020.

He honestly should not dress for the Devils without an extension.  The team is taking a huge, huge risk putting him out there.

Think of how badly Parise (and Kovalchuk, for that matter) leaving without getting anything in return set the Devils back.  Cannot have that happen again with Hall.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Gotcha.  Well, I guess even if that all is true and we can believe what he says, that still doesn't necessarily mean that they've offered him a deal.  It's possible for him to still be part of the future and them not quite sure what deal they're comfortable in offering him.  In regards to the "sooner rather than later" bit, I guess that's a relative term.

Anything is possible, we only know what both parties tell us, and don't know if either of them is telling us everything or if everything they are telling us is true. 

Having read everything I have read so far, and reading between the lines, I believe that the holdup is on the player's end, like 99% of the time. The concept that Taylor would be like "please sign me now" and Ray would be all "yeah, we'll see" doesn't really jive with the way things work, nor the way things have been reported. 

58 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Can't risk him getting hurt and taking the majority of the season to heal up for July 1st 2020.

He honestly should not dress for the Devils without an extension.  The team is taking a huge, huge risk putting him out there.

Think of how badly Parise (and Kovalchuk, for that matter) leaving without getting anything in return set the Devils back.  Cannot have that happen again with Hall.

That's true too. I suspect something will be done before the season starts. What that may be remains to be seen. 

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That's true too. I suspect something will be done before the season starts. What that may be remains to be seen. 

I really hope it isn’t a lot of us developing (or furthering, in some cases) a drinking problem....

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

I really hope it isn’t a lot of us developing (or furthering, in most cases) a drinking problem....

Fixed. It's been a lean few years for us lol.

• Haha 2

How about a hall for marner trade? Sign marner for 5-6 years since he doesn't want 8 years with Toronto. This allows the rebuild to continue for another year or two and in a few years the team is ready for a run. Might have to add a bit since hall is a ufa after this season.

2 minutes ago, devils744 said:

How about a hall for marner trade? Sign marner for 5-6 years since he doesn't want 8 years with Toronto. This allows the rebuild to continue for another year or two and in a few years the team is ready for a run. Might have to add a bit since hall is a ufa after this season.

I’d consider it. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

The concept that Taylor would be like "please sign me now" and Ray would be all "yeah, we'll see" doesn't really jive with the way things work, nor the way things have been reported. 

That's not really what I was thinking.  I was imagining something more along the lines of Taylor being like "They haven't offered me a contract yet, and that's cool, I'm in no rush", and Ray and the Devils being like "We're still undecided, but it's on its way eventually.  Hang tight".  

35 minutes ago, devils744 said:

Offersheet Marner and pay the draft pick compensation and keep Hall.  Four first round picks for a team that should at least not be terrible is worth having two top forward lines that consist of Hall, Marner, Hughes, Nico, and Palmieri. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Offersheet Marner and pay the draft pick compensation and keep Hall.  Four first round picks for a team that should at least not be terrible is worth having two top forward lines that consist of Hall, Marner, Hughes, Nico, and Palmieri. 

I'm warming to the idea of offer sheeting him. If we retain our first rounders, what are the odds we get to draft a Marner type guy with one of them? Probably not too high. 

Of course, are we assuming Marner definitely gets $10,568,590 AAV? If you give him under that, its 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd. I'm guessing he does. 

3 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Has that ever happened before, they would be going to war with the union and as if we don't have enough problems attracting big time free agents already.  Sounds good here to some but I don't see anyway in hell where it's a real possibility. I can only grin at the thought that in sports if your top players are going into their last year of their contracts they don't get to play.