Derlique

The Taylor Hall Watch Thread

49 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

That's true. We will have to lock up Andy Greene next before he leaves for nothing

Now that's funny. Lol

52 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

That's true. We will have to lock up Andy Greene next before he leaves for nothing

48033204282_9db9f8f732_b.jpg

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

Would you consider me to be part of the bolded? Because I see two whiny sides to the fanbase. I posted something pretty reasonable about Taylor Hall's difficult decision a few days ago which unfortunately led to the debate in this thread descending into, "NJ is Hall's best chance to win a Cup," vs "[Insert team here] is Hall's best chance to win a Cup." An inane, impossible to determine argument that was underpinned by the two fan factions "the grass is greener everywhere else and I hate myself" vs. "the grass is the greenest in NJ always and forever and shut up if you disagree."

The fanbase should be able to take pride in NJ and Devildom and still be able to discuss the team in a practical manner and vice versa the fanbase shouldn't be completely negative about the Devils as a desirable destination.

I don't think you've been totally off base btw, I agree with your attitude in one regard: if players leave, fvck them. If Hall leaves, fvck him. If you're not with us you're against us, quite literally. But it's perfectly reasonable to think about the difficulty of his decision before the fact and the factors in play that on one hand might make him decide to sign with the Devils and on the other might make leaving the option he chooses.

In the NHLPA golf interview he did Taylor pretty much revealed what's going through his head when as part of a larger comment he was making about wanting to play for the Cup every year he said, "I kind of want to make up for lost time but at the same time I want to be smart with everything that's going on." 

He's trying to figure out where his best chance to win a Cup is and he's not just assuming that's in Toronto - it might be NJ - but that's what he's working through right now. There's a possibility this next contract decides whether he ever raises a Cup or not - the dream of every hockey player. Not an easy decision. Like I said, I think eventually he signs here - the pieces are coming together quickly. 

I don’t necessarily think you’re part of that group, but it certainly exists and they’re annoying as fvck. A lot of Devils fans have this self-hating, ‘we’re inferior to everything’ attitude that makes me want to punch stuff. We are a franchise rich in history that plays in the biggest market on planet earth. fvcking act like it. I want more arrogance. I want more cockiness. I want this fan base to act like a fan base that is proud of their team, proud of their state, proud of everything it means to live and play in NJ. Not this whiny, boo hoo hoo, we aren’t NY, we aren’t Chicago, we play in Newark and Newark is terrible because it was terrible 25 years ago so it must still be a raging sh!thole’ attitude.  I don’t give a sh!t if everyone hates us. I want everyone to hate us. It means you’re doing something right. 

Edited by MadDog2020

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

I don’t necessarily think you’re part of that group, but it certainly exists and they’re annoying as fvck. A lot of Devils fans have this self-hating, ‘we’re inferior to everything’ attitude that makes me want to punch stuff. We are a franchise rich in history that plays in the biggest market on planet earth. fvcking act like it. I want more arrogance. I want more cockiness. I want this fan base to act like a fan base that is proud of their team, proud of their state, proud of everything it means to live and play in NJ. Not this whiny, boo hoo hoo, we aren’t NY, we aren’t Chicago, we play in Newark and Newark is terrible because it was terrible 25 years ago so it must still be a raging sh!thole’ attitude.  I don’t give a sh!t if everyone hates us. I want everyone to hate us. It means you’re doing something right. 

I agree there could be more self-love in NJ, but do you really think that arrogance/cockiness = pride in team? That confusion is exactly what makes Rangers fans, Rangers fans.

And bruh, Newark needs work. And any Devil fan can attest to the failure to build up that city despite promise after promise to do so. That said, the immediate area around the arena has taken some steps up, I'm excited for that. But a few hundred yards in either direction and it's not a pretty picture, including all the way to Newark Penn and Newark Penn itself. Pretending that the area doesn't need to make A LOT of progress isn't going to help anything.  

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Neb00rs said:

I agree there could be more self-love in NJ, but do you really think that arrogance/cockiness = pride in team? That confusion is exactly what makes Rangers fans, Rangers fans.

And bruh, Newark needs work. And any Devil fan can attest to the failure to build up that city despite promise after promise to do so. That said, the immediate area around the arena has taken some steps up, I'm excited for that. But a few hundred yards in either direction and it's not a pretty picture, including all the way to Newark Penn and Newark Penn itself. Pretending that the area doesn't need to make A LOT of progress isn't going to help anything.  

Ranger fans have exactly one Cup since the fvcking polio vaccine. Their arrogance isn’t based off anything but ORIGINAL SIX BRAH and BRIGHT LIGHTS BRAH. I just want this fanbase to have some fvcking pride in itself, the team, and the state. That isn’t done by acting like everything sucks. Some cockiness and arrogance would be a welcome change, given our history actually calls for some. As far as Newark goes, no one said it doesn’t need work, but Rome wasn’t built in a day. It’s not as bad as it used to be. You can go to any city in America and wander into a crappy area. Newark has work to do, but it’s on its way. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

How about just being a normal fan without the cocky, douchy attitude.  Most are proud of the team, and their history (and this can be said about any team in any sport, that's been around more then 5 yrs).  Just act like a normal person, drop the egos, what's so wrong about that?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bobilly45 said:

How about just being a normal fan without the cocky, douchy attitude.  Most are proud of the team, and their history (and this can be said about any team in any sport, that's been around more then 5 yrs).  Just act like a normal person, drop the egos, what's so wrong about that?

I prefer cockiness to woe-is-me emo whiny bitchiness, but I guess that’s just me.

Posted (edited)

In general its mostly just about being realistic about some stuff and not being biased. I mean... honestly if you're opinion is clearly biased about something... it's worth sh!t. Especially if you're arrogant about it.

also it's kind of hypocrite to call for a fanbase to be arrogant and cocky about where they live... and then call out the Rangers for doing the same thing? they are literally doing what you're encouraging if you're doing that haha

Edited by SterioDesign

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

In general its mostly just about being realistic about some stuff and not being biased. I mean... honestly if you're opinion is clearly biased about something... it's worth sh!t. Especially if you're arrogant about it.

also it's kind of hypocrite to call for a fanbase to be arrogant and cocky about where they live... and then call out the Rangers for doing the same thing? they are literally doing what you're encouraging if you're doing that haha

You completely missed the point. Now, seeing as you aren’t from here and have no idea about the dynamic, I’ll kindly and respectfully ask you to eject yourself from this particular conversation.

Edited by MadDog2020

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

I agree. I don't think there's anything wrong with being realistic-- then again I'd love to leave NJ. I'm really not much of a homer for the state. The only thing I'd miss is being 25 min from Prudential. I don't even have family here anymore, they already left. 

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Your opinions aren’t biased though?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I agree. I don't think there's anything wrong with being realistic-- then again I'd love to leave NJ. I'm really not much of a homer for the state. The only thing I'd miss is being 25 min from Prudential. I don't even have family here anymore, they already left. 

Nice to see that Jersey pride shine through man!  I mean, this is exactly what I’m talking about. Please brother, if you hate it so much by all means go move to that redneck paradise down in NC, pretty sure that’s the trendy thing now. 

Edited by MadDog2020

6 minutes ago, devlman said:

Your opinions aren’t biased though?

I'm generally trying not to be. And when i think i am, i usually acknowledge that i'm biased. 

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

You completely missed the point. Now, seeing as you aren’t from here and have no idea about the dynamic, I’ll kindly and respectfully ask you to eject yourself from this particular conversation.

Suuuure. Who loves a neutral / outside looking in / big picture opinion when it doesn't fit yours. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I'm generally trying not to be. And when i think i am, i usually acknowledge that i'm biased. 

As do I. I’m biased. Very biased. I’m not denying that, and I never have. 

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Suuuure. Who loves a neutral / outside looking in / big picture opinion when it doesn't fit yours. 

All due respect brother, I don’t give a sh!t about your opinion on this matter. I didn’t ask you for it, and I don’t care. I care very little about what outsiders have to say on something they know next to nothing about.

Edited by MadDog2020

As do I. I’m biased. Very biased. I’m not denying that, and I never have. 

and thats why you don't like hearing a neutral opinion going against yours and asking me to just shut up. At least you were polite lol

Just now, SterioDesign said:

and thats why you don't like hearing a neutral opinion going against yours and asking me to just shut up. At least you were polite lol

That’s because I like you man, you’re good people.... I just have an enormous amount of pride in where I come from. Just the way I am. I’d be the same way if I was from fvcking Kansas. Take pride in where you come from. Everyone should.

That’s because I like you man, you’re good people.... I just have an enormous amount of pride in where I come from. Just the way I am. I’d be the same way if I was from fvcking Kansas. Take pride in where you come from. Everyone should.

Well that's great. But that's a bit like every parents finding their kids beautiful. There's some fvcking ugly kids out there. It's blind love haha

I mean. I can make an argument that i can be just as pride about the Devils success because im not from NJ. I CHOOSE the Devils. Out of all the teams available and stuck with them. It's not unfair to say that it deserves as much merit as someone rooting for a team just because they were born in a specific region, then thats blind love too

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well that's great. But that's a bit like every parents finding their kids beautiful. There's some fvcking ugly kids out there. It's blind love haha

Sure it is. I didn’t choose to be born and raised here. But I was. Therefore, I love NJ, flaws and all. What I get pissed at are people from NJ who take no pride in being from here. That would rather associate with a city that hates them (NYC) because it makes them feel better about themselves. That’s called an inferiority complex, and a lot of people around here have one. I can acknowledge the things about NJ that suck while continuing to love living here, and be proud of being from here. Other people not only acknowledge those things, they complain endlessly about them, and trash the state whenever they get a chance. To those people, I say ‘then get the fvck out, it’s better off here without you’. Those are the people who I wish would move to NY, because I honestly don’t want them taking up space here. If anything, maybe the traffic would improve.

4 hours ago, CarpathianForest said:

I thought this was the Taylor Hall thread, not the complaint department

What are you the fvcking thread police?

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Sure it is. I didn’t choose to be born and raised here. But I was. Therefore, I love NJ, flaws and all. What I get pissed at are people from NJ who take no pride in being from here. That would rather associate with a city that hates them (NYC) because it makes them feel better about themselves. That’s called an inferiority complex, and a lot of people around here have one. I can acknowledge the things about NJ that suck while continuing to love living here, and be proud of being from here. Other people not only acknowledge those things, they complain endlessly about them, and trash the state whenever they get a chance. To those people, I say ‘then get the fvck out, it’s better off here without you’. Those are the people who I wish would move to NY, because I honestly don’t want them taking up space here. If anything, maybe the traffic would improve.

I don't really disagree with the above, but as far as posters here go, I think you're confusing self-hating/inferiority complex with Devils fans simply being realistic about why the Devils aren't necessarily an attractive UFA destination at the moment (and why they won't be surprised when certain UFAs decide not to come here, or even consider the possibility).  I think if you asked most Devils fans how they feel about NJ itself, they'd tell you that they very much enjoy living here, in spite of some of its flaws. 

Re:  the bolded, sure, there's Jersey folk who are guilty of that, but I can tell you that there's many more like me who instantly correct people who assume that to be the case.  I've had people say things like "The [insert team from NY] are doing well, you must be happy!"  To which I reply "Why?"  "Well, you're from New York!"

To that:  "No, I'm from NEW JERSEY.  New York has NOTHING to do with New Jersey.  It's an entirely different state, and I don't relate to it at all.  As far as I'm concerned, New York has as much in common with New Jersey as Pennsylvania, Delaware, Michigan, and Kansas do.  Don't assume that because I happen to live in a state that's in close proximity to New York, that somehow that makes me all things New York.  New Jersey is also very close to Pennsylvania and Delaware...why don't you assume that I'm 'from' those states?  Makes about as much since as implying I'm 'from' New York!"  Yes, I have said some form of this to several people through the years, who made mistaken assumptions about what it means to be from NJ.  Sometimes they're a little surprised by my passion, but that's something that's always irked me.

I don't even like New York, to be honest.  I think the city itself is vastly overrated.  And I really despise the fact that not one but TWO football teams play ALL of their home games in New Jersey yet STILL label themselves as "New York".  I'm a Mets fan (arrgh), but I readily admit it, if a baseball team ever came to NJ, I'm dumping the Mets yesterday for them...yes, the franchise is screwed as long as the Wilpons own the team, but the Mets are the only baseball team I've ever rooted for, and I do have lots of great baseball memories that go back to my childhood...starting with the first game I ever saw in 1977 as a seven-year-old, when for some reason my uncle decided instead of doing the humane thing and taking me to a Yankee game (like he did with my brother the following summer), he took me to a Mets game as a birthday gift.  Only a MLB calling NJ home could get me to leave the Mets behind, in spite of their endless incompetent on and off the field.

But anyway...I think there's much more people who see this as I do than you realize.  Don't confuse fans taking a realistic viewpoint about NHL UFAs as Jersey-ites loathing their state. 

And on one last note, as far as prime UFAs go, if you build it, they will come.  As this team becomes more attractive (and I think Shero is doing it right), I do think some high-profile UFAs would consider playing here.  The irony in that is that I don't think it will matter all that much...I don't think Shero will go ever that route unless he's convinced it's absolutely necessary, and probably a little begrudgingly at that. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

What if it's Detroit??

;) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

To that:  "No, I'm from NEW JERSEY.  New York has NOTHING to do with New Jersey.  It's an entirely different state, and I don't relate to it at all.  As far as I'm concerned, New York has as much in common with New Jersey as Pennsylvania, Delaware, Michigan, and Kansas do. 

I would've gone with "New" Mexico since they all have New in their name, but honestly, that's probably just because I have OCD. 

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I'm a Mets fan (arrgh), but I readily admit it, if a baseball team ever came to NJ, I'm dumping the Mets yesterday for them...

All it would take would be a team coming to New Jersey? That's crazy. That's like saying if the Devils left you'd become a Rangers fan. 

And what if, as was rumored years ago, it was the fvcking Yankees that moved to New Jersey? You'd just become a Yankees fan???