Derlique

The Taylor Hall Watch Thread

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:27 PM, Neb00rs said:

How many guys won the league MVP two years ago?

Artemi Panarin just fetched 11.6M/7 on what is widely known to be a discounted deal to play in NYC. Erik Karlsson, who's contract also starts in his age 29 year and who is coming off a season where he had health issues, got 11.5M over 8 years.  One year ago John Tavares took a discount to sign with the Leafs at 11M/7. Outside of state tax-free states, 10M hasn't been the going rate for superstar players for a few years now. With all that said, if you think 11M is somehow not market rate for Taylor Hall, you're simply denying reality. Maybe, just maybe the Devils convince Hall to sign at 10.5M/8. That's the low end.

If you're point here is "Well, he's not nearly as good as McDavid, well, McDavid signed for 12.5M two years ago, well above what I predicted Hall would sign for.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, and I suppose on some level I'm discounting inflation a bit, but I don't know that it goes up all that much in that short amount of time.  Also, if so many guys around the league are taking discounts, what would make Hall not join them and do the same thing?  Is it because Tavares had a lifelong dream' to play in Toronto where he grew up?  And Panarin to play in the 'bright lights'?  If that's what you're thinking, then that's fair to a degree, and while Newark may not be exactly the same as NYC, and it might not be where Hall was born and his dream of playing here as a kid, it's still close to the NYC area and has a lot to offer on its own, and Hall has had his life established here for a few years now, so it's not out of the question that he takes a discount to stay just like the other guys did in their respective cities.

There are also plenty of other guys in sports who take discounts for the sake of being able to spread the money around to the rest of their team because they value winning more than their own individual paycheck - best example is Tom Brady.  Guy has routinely taken large discounts so that his GM could have more money to bolster his offensive line and be able to protect him better.  We don't know if Taylor Hall thinks along those same lines, but it's reasonable to think that he may, and you could pretty easily make the argument that that would be the smarter move.

13 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, and I suppose on some level I'm discounting inflation a bit, but I don't know that it goes up all that much in that short amount of time.  Also, if so many guys around the league are taking discounts, what would make Hall not join them and do the same thing?  Is it because Tavares had a lifelong dream' to play in Toronto where he grew up?  And Panarin to play in the 'bright lights'?  If that's what you're thinking, then that's fair to a degree, and while Newark may not be exactly the same as NYC, and it might not be where Hall was born and his dream of playing here as a kid, it's still close to the NYC area and has a lot to offer on its own, and Hall has had his life established here for a few years now, so it's not out of the question that he takes a discount to stay just like the other guys did in their respective cities.

There are also plenty of other guys in sports who take discounts for the sake of being able to spread the money around to the rest of their team because they value winning more than their own individual paycheck - best example is Tom Brady.  Guy has routinely taken large discounts so that his GM could have more money to bolster his offensive line and be able to protect him better.  We don't know if Taylor Hall thinks along those same lines, but it's reasonable to think that he may, and you could pretty easily make the argument that that would be the smarter move.

Tom Brady wins tons of championships and the NFL is super popular. He probably makes up for taking less on the payroll through achievement bonuses and endorsements etc. Most hockey players don't get those opportunities. They don't even pick hockey players to put on those sh!tty insurance commercials with retired athletes. 

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Tom Brady wins tons of championships and the NFL is super popular. He probably makes up for taking less on the payroll through achievement bonuses and endorsements etc. Most hockey players don't get those opportunities. They don't even pick hockey players to put on those sh!tty insurance commercials with retired athletes. 

hm.. guess you've never seen martys rental car commercial..

Brady’s wife is worth a boatload. He can afford to take a team discount. 

Also, how dare you forget about Marty’s Enterprise commercials lol

8 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Not the same, because Brady still makes a ton of salary. His career earnings are over $220 million. He’s not exactly relying on his wife being “worth a boatload”, and no hockey player will ever make that much money. 

Could he have made more? Sure. I guess it’s relative. But it’s easier to pass up a couple million when you crap solid gold bars already. 

Edited by mfitz804

10 hours ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

hm.. guess you've never seen martys rental car commercial..

Marty is considered the best Goalie of all time by a lot of people. I don't think Hall gets on that level to land that kind of national level commercial deal. You ever see really good players getting those chances? Granted, Hall's career isnt over yet but I am just trying to point out the difference. Tom Brady's national level endorsement deal for Levis (or something) vs Cory Schneider's deal for a tri-area bank aren't comparable to me. 

I don't think Hall gets on that level to land that kind of national level commercial deal. 

Maybe for Chapstick he should. 

Edited by mfitz804

On 9/4/2019 at 1:06 PM, mfitz804 said:

Maybe for Chapstick he should. 

Kk would prob get a chipotle commercial in Montreal now before hall gets one.  If anyone for our current team gets a national commercial its pk.  

saw taylor & gf @ cheesecake in SH Mall tonight - a bit far from Hoboken for dinner - maybe they're looking for houses in the burbs.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

saw taylor & gf @ cheesecake in SH Mall tonight - a bit far from Hoboken for dinner - maybe they're looking for houses in the burbs.

Sunday at Short Hills is when the rich people shop. Back when I worked there (about 18 years ago at this point), that’s when we had most of our celebrity sightings and I used to earn $200-300 in a 6 hour shift after commission. 

But I like your narrative better. Plenty of guys over in West Caldwell and the like back in the day...

21 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Sunday at Short Hills is when the rich people shop. Back when I worked there (about 18 years ago at this point), that’s when we had most of our celebrity sightings and I used to earn $200-300 in a 6 hour shift after commission. 

But I like your narrative better. Plenty of guys over in West Caldwell and the like back in the day...

Yes the majority of my knowledge about NJ comes from The Sopranos...lol

44 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

Subscribe

9 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Yes the majority of my knowledge about NJ comes from The Sopranos...lol

The Sopranos was more accurate than it got credit for lol. 

1 hour ago, sundstrom said:

On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate his gf? 

And to answer your next question, yes you can say 12.

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate his gf? 

And to answer your next question, yes you can say 12.

The scale should be 1-JJ’s wife. 

Still the most gorgeous Devil wife/gf imo. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sundstrom said:

What did they order? Maybe we can tell whether he intends to re-sign based on that. 

7 hours ago, Nicomo said:

The scale should be 1-JJ’s wife. 

Still the most gorgeous Devil wife/gf imo. 

I don’t think I agree, but I think she’s way hotter than JJ should’ve been able to get, given that he looks like a muppet and sucks at hockey. 

Edited by mfitz804

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I don’t think I agree, but I think she’s way hotter than JJ should’ve been able to get, given that he looks like a muppet and sucks at hockey. 

I can't remember if it was Coleman or Zacha, I think it was Coleman, but one of them has a wife who I think was drop dead gorgeous.  Actually I think they were both great looking, but one of them was just off the charts hot.

26 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I can't remember if it was Coleman or Zacha, I think it was Coleman, but one of them has a wife who I think was drop dead gorgeous.  Actually I think they were both great looking, but one of them was just off the charts hot.

They pretty much all do. My point was t that JJ’s wife isn’t hot, just that she is not so much hotter than Taylor’s or many of the others. 

In fact, I suspect most of us couldn’t match up the pictures as to who was with which hot blonde. 

11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

They pretty much all do. My point was t that JJ’s wife isn’t hot, just that she is not so much hotter than Taylor’s or many of the others. 

In fact, I suspect most of us couldn’t match up the pictures as to who was with which hot blonde. 

Oh I agree, I think most NHLers have hot wives.  I don't recall seeing JJ's wife (probably because I don't want to see how hot she is and accept the fact that a dud like him can get someone that I couldn't), so I wasn't referring to that.   And you're right, I definitely couldn't match up any player with a picture of his wife.  

8 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Oh I agree, I think most NHLers have hot wives.  I don't recall seeing JJ's wife (probably because I don't want to see how hot she is and accept the fact that a dud like him can get someone that I couldn't), so I wasn't referring to that.   And you're right, I definitely couldn't match up any player with a picture of his wife.  

I couldn’t either, but I bet if I picked 10 blonde hockey wives, and one of them is JJ’s, even the people who claim she is the hottest wouldn’t be able to pick her out of a lineup. At least not unless his muppet looking ass was standing with her. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

JJ's wife is a Swedish model. Much attractive. Her and TH gf both give the "girl next door" vibe which is way more appealing than the typical plastic blonde athlete SO. Coleman's wife was a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader I think.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

F148CB68-ADB8-46E2-B540-E238A7BBA886.jpeg

• Like 1