Derlique

The Taylor Hall Watch Thread

Sorry if already posted:

https://www.nhl.com/news/taylor-hall-new-jersey-to-continue-contract-negotiations/c-308997402

"Sometime later in training camp we'll sit down," Shero said. "From Taylor's standpoint, I think he's dialed in on himself right now in terms of his game and getting back on the ice after only playing 33 games last year. I look forward to seeing him at training camp. Nothing has really changed since the end of the season in terms of how this is playing out."

"There are different stages of negotiation and at some point, [Hall's] going to play for us and then we'll sort it out," Shero said. "Whether he's signed, we'll see. I look forward to sitting down with him and seeing him back on the ice with us, which will be great. I know he's looking forward to that, too. Ideally, we wanted to give him space this summer anyway, training wise. We've made some additions to try and improve our hockey team and hopefully Taylor will be a big part of this in the future."

"It'll be great to see [Hall] on the ice healthy and that's a big step in the right direction for us and for him," Shero said. "We're looking forward to seeing where this goes, but it's going to be one of these things where once we get into camp, at a certain point, it's not going to be a daily topic, I'll tell you that."

Some definite "Shero speak" there, but it sounds like they haven't really had any negotiations at all this summer.  Which.. I mean I guess they're not in a bad place with negotiations which is good, but I was kind of hoping discussions were on-going.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Sorry if already posted:

https://www.nhl.com/news/taylor-hall-new-jersey-to-continue-contract-negotiations/c-308997402

"Sometime later in training camp we'll sit down," Shero said. "From Taylor's standpoint, I think he's dialed in on himself right now in terms of his game and getting back on the ice after only playing 33 games last year. I look forward to seeing him at training camp. Nothing has really changed since the end of the season in terms of how this is playing out."

"There are different stages of negotiation and at some point, [Hall's] going to play for us and then we'll sort it out," Shero said. "Whether he's signed, we'll see. I look forward to sitting down with him and seeing him back on the ice with us, which will be great. I know he's looking forward to that, too. Ideally, we wanted to give him space this summer anyway, training wise. We've made some additions to try and improve our hockey team and hopefully Taylor will be a big part of this in the future."

"It'll be great to see [Hall] on the ice healthy and that's a big step in the right direction for us and for him," Shero said. "We're looking forward to seeing where this goes, but it's going to be one of these things where once we get into camp, at a certain point, it's not going to be a daily topic, I'll tell you that."

Some definite "Shero speak" there, but it sounds like they haven't really had any negotiations at all this summer.  Which.. I mean I guess they're not in a bad place with negotiations which is good, but I was kind of hoping discussions were on-going.

This is basically confirming exactly what I thought might have been going, which is to say, not much at all, but by design. Given his injury and the fact that our team/front office had a lot else going on this off-season, it doesn't really surprise me one bit to say that both sides seem to essentially have been giving the other one their space.  It feels like forever for us, and we're all anxious, but really there's been no hard deadlines or anything like that, and pre-season hasn't even begun yet, so I can see why neither side is in a huge rush.  I'm still confident a deal will be in place - when that happens, it doesn't really look like we have any better clues in terms of a timeline, but I think this news is either encouraging or neutral, but it's definitely not bad if you ask me.

• Like 2

This is on Shero, not Hall. Hall is going to do what Hall is going to do. It's up to Shero to handle the situation in the best way for the team. I've got nothing but confidence no matter the outcome. Shero has shown he doesn't get jerked around, look at that quote on Zacha, and I'm sure that he won't let it fly if he thinks Hall is trying to start playing games. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

We're looking forward to seeing where this goes, but it's going to be one of these things where once we get into camp, at a certain point, it's not going to be a daily topic, I'll tell you that."

I think that's a hint at a deadline shero has to determine if he will sign or not...  then hell move on.

Imo the correct move

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

This is on Shero, not Hall. Hall is going to do what Hall is going to do. It's up to Shero to handle the situation in the best way for the team. I've got nothing but confidence no matter the outcome. Shero has shown he doesn't get jerked around, look at that quote on Zacha, and I'm sure that he won't let it fly if he thinks Hall is trying to start playing games. 

yeah im just confused cause this isn't typical Shero... im not sure if its cause he knows its not a problem or if there's complications.... i just can't wait for it to be over

2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

There’s a huge difference between getting jerked around by the MVP and by a guy with one foot out the door to the KHL. 

32 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah im just confused cause this isn't typical Shero... im not sure if its cause he knows its not a problem or if there's complications.... i just can't wait for it to be over

Probably a mutual trust and openness between both parties. Shero prob understands the position Hall is in and that the Devils competitive timeline may not be good for him. At the same time Hall knows Shero doesn't want to be left high and dry. They prob do have a date where a decision has to be made one way or the other though. I don't buy the day by day stuff. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

There’s a huge difference between getting jerked around by the MVP and by a guy with one foot out the door to the KHL. 

I doubt he plays favorites and, if anything, would be even more on top of the situation with Hall than with Zacha since Hall actually has value. The difference is the maturity of the player. Zacha is trying to pull some high school sh!t.

2 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I doubt he plays favorites and, if anything, would be even more on top of the situation with Hall than with Zacha since Hall actually has value. The difference is the maturity of the player. Zacha is trying to pull some high school sh!t.

I disagree totally. If a guy has a good negotiating position, you have to deal with him differently than the worst guy in your roster. It’s just facts. That’s not “playing favorites”, it’s having common sense. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I disagree totally. If a guy has a good negotiating position, you have to deal with him differently than the worst guy in your roster. It’s just facts. That’s not “playing favorites”, it’s having common sense. 

I disagree completely. If you have a guy that you trust and has given you no reason to think will leave you high and dry, you take the gentlemanly route to the process. If you have a guy that is going behind your back and signing in other league to try and force your hand you call them out on their bullsh!t. That is not playing favorites, it's having common....wait.....

I dont think Hall is jerking him around at all. But if he was, he’d have a longer leash. 

56 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Trade him asap, I'll drive him to the airport, he's dead to me and I'm changing my avatar...

Lmao wtf why?

that song would be awesome. I vote that.

13 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Lmao wtf why?

that song would be awesome. I vote that.

Song is ear cancer, I'd rather try to climb into the rafters and cut every speaker wire than to have to listen to that crap several times a night. 

Also.... I don't think he's signing anyway so might as well not pick a song that we'll have to change when he's gone before the end of the season. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

Wait you aren’t joking? You actually changed your profile picture because you don’t like his music choice? 

lmaooooooo man

16 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Wait you aren’t joking? You actually changed your profile picture because you don’t like his music choice? 

lmaooooooo man

I'm half joking, been meaning to change it anyway since I think he's done here. 

Probably late to the party on this, but I just realized Hall is represented by Marner's agent.

So.. feeling less hopeful now. Feel like Hall will be advised to get to 7/1 no matter what.

3 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Probably late to the party on this, but I just realized Hall is represented by Marner's agent.

So.. feeling less hopeful now. Feel like Hall will be advised to get to 7/1 no matter what.

I didn’t realize Marner’s dad was advising Hall.....

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I didn’t realize Marner’s dad was advising Hall.....

Image result for oh you gif

• Haha 1

Every season it seems like most holdouts or wtv are all from the same agents.

i remember around the same time shea weber, parise, subban etc etc were the ones giving trouble to their teams and it was all the same agent

Now this dude

Imma take a leap here...I think Hall signs before the end of the month. If I'm Ray, I'm thinking to myself, I have a shot at pulling off the holy grail of GMing...the perfect offseason...and that requires Hall signing. Ray is a fvcking psychopath in the best way, and I gotta think he wants to complete the GM version of the 27 up, 27 down game.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 1

Don't get me wrong. Hall loves Canada, I think if he had the opportunity he'd love to play for Toronto. But he's a bright guy, he knows what's up. I imagine the situation he's in re: negotiations with Ray is very reminiscent of the phone call scene from Catch Me if You Can, where Leo's character (Hall) pretends to be thinking about going to July 1st and Tom Hanks' character (Ray Shero) is just like, "You have no one else to call"...or in this case, "Nowhere else to go."

NJ is Hall's best bet, he's bound to recognize that.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 1

I don’t know that I see the correlation, but that’s a good movie, regardless lol

4 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I don’t know that I see the correlation, but that’s a good movie, regardless lol

Thats cause you're looking with your eyes. 

Gotta look with your heart man.