Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Derlique

The Taylor Hall Watch Thread

Recommended Posts

With some of the powerhouse teams like TB and Pitt getting straight up embarrassed in the first round hopefully Hall will see the East is maybe more wide open than most probably thought. I mean after adding Hughes will the Devils really be that far away from competing? If we can get solid goaltending from both Cory and Mac I say no. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Nicomo said:

With some of the powerhouse teams like TB and Pitt getting straight up embarrassed in the first round hopefully Hall will see the East is maybe more wide open than most probably thought. I mean after adding Hughes will the Devils really be that far away from competing? If we can get solid goaltending from both Cory and Mac I say no. 

If our team looks something like this next season up front, I don't see how they aren't at least in the conversation for a wildcard spot, if not even better:

Hall - Hischier - Palmieri

Bratt - Hughes - FA

Wood - Zacha - Coleman

Agostini - Zajac - Q

I think we need to go after a solid right wing in free agency.  We lack some serious depth at that position.  I'm not sure I bump Zajac all the way down to the 4th line, but I think at this point Zacha needs to be getting some regular minutes, and with how much Zajac still plays on the PK, cutting down his even strength minutes may not be the end of the world. 

Only other issue I have is Agostini and/or Q - I'm not really sold on Agostini, and Q is what he is.  Neither of those spots really worry me much though, as they're both pretty replaceable with any serviceable AHLer that we see fit to call up.  Ideally it'd be nice if we could acquire a cheap free agent in the summer to take over one of those spots though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

If our team looks something like this next season up front, I don't see how they aren't at least in the conversation for a wildcard spot, if not even better:

Hall - Hischier - Palmieri

Bratt - Hughes - FA

Wood - Zacha - Coleman

Agostini - Zajac - Q

I think we need to go after a solid right wing in free agency.  We lack some serious depth at that position.  I'm not sure I bump Zajac all the way down to the 4th line, but I think at this point Zacha needs to be getting some regular minutes, and with how much Zajac still plays on the PK, cutting down his even strength minutes may not be the end of the world. 

Only other issue I have is Agostini and/or Q - I'm not really sold on Agostini, and Q is what he is.  Neither of those spots really worry me much though, as they're both pretty replaceable with any serviceable AHLer that we see fit to call up.  Ideally it'd be nice if we could acquire a cheap free agent in the summer to take over one of those spots though.  

There’s no way I want Q here. I would give that slot to Bastian or Rooney before I did that.

Also, his name is Agostino. If you’re gonna talk about him, get his name right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

There’s no way I want Q here. I would give that slot to Bastian or Rooney before I did that.

 

I don't like Rooney much, but I forgot about Bastian - he seemed to play pretty well down the stretch in the limited time and opportunity he had.  He seemed hungry too, and like he wanted to make the most of his chance.  I wouldn't mind seeing him on the 4th line for opening night next season.

Also, his name is Agostino. If you’re gonna talk about him, get his name right.

Yikes.  Relative of yours? :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't like Rooney much, but I forgot about Bastian - he seemed to play pretty well down the stretch in the limited time and opportunity he had.  He seemed hungry too, and like he wanted to make the most of his chance.  I wouldn't mind seeing him on the 4th line for opening night next season.

Right...I’m not sold on him based on such a small sample size, but he performed well in the few games he played. Q had a much bigger opportunity and laid a giant turd. 

7 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yikes.  Relative of yours? :lol:

Just because I’m from Staten Island doesn’t mean I’m related to EVERY Italian guy!

Nope, just a pet peeve of mine. If one doesn’t even know the guy’s name, you have to wonder how valid their opinions on him can be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Right...I’m not sold on him based on such a small sample size, but he performed well in the few games he played. Q had a much bigger opportunity and laid a giant turd. 

 

Agreed. The best thing he did for us last season was provide an unintentional meme that will live on in infamy.

Nope, just a pet peeve of mine. If one doesn’t even know the guy’s name, you have to wonder how valid their opinions on him can be.

True. For me, it was a combination of not realizing I was misspelling it, and also him not being significant enough on the team yet to know (or care) that I was misspelling it :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

True. For me, it was a combination of not realizing I was misspelling it, and also him not being significant enough on the team yet to know (or care) that I was misspelling it :D

No worries, when I run into him at the next family reunion, I won’t tell him. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Agreed. The best thing he did for us last season was provide an unintentional meme that will live on in infamy.

Yeah, it’s going to be “hard” to “beat” that one. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Ray needs to figure Taylor out. If he’s undecided, convince him. If he doesn’t want to be here, trade that big lipped motherfvcker. 

I can see why he might think that, coming off injury, it’s a better idea for him to play out the year, hopefully have another MVP caliber season, and then make a mint in free agency.

I mean I’ll hate him for it, but I’ll get it. 

I don't envy Ray in this spot...it's a tough one.  I don't think that he's going to get terribly good offers this offseason...I know some embrace the "OMG can't lose guys for nothing get whatever you can!" mentality to the hilt, and yeah, it would REALLY suck to lose Hall for zilch (especially since this upcoming season doesn't figure to be a "Now we're ready to contend for a Cup!" kind of year)...but part of me can't help but wonder if he would bring back a better return at the deadline, if he manages to stay healthy and is having a big year, but the Devils are not looking like a legit playoff team. 

Of course, if Hall doesn't re-sign and there's a GM willing to make a fair offer prior to the start of the 2019-20 season, I think Ray's gotta take it.   

Again, I'm hoping we're more crossing our fingers that he's going to stay healthy AND productive...after he's already signed his extension this offseason.  It's a big risk and I get the feeling the return won't quite be what we were all hoping for, but I'll embrace him staying.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.