Derlique

The Taylor Hall Watch Thread

3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

I design shirts for a living. I'd design it for free

NJDevs fundraiser idea alert!

Just now, mfitz804 said:

NJDevs fundraiser idea alert!

Well it's still very taboo for many fans here to say anything remotely negative about Lou or admit he ever did anything wrong so i don't think it would sell too well haha

11 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well it's still very taboo for many fans here to say anything remotely negative about Lou or admit he ever did anything wrong so i don't think it would sell too well haha

Fair point. 

16 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Lou did a lot wrong the last few years.... he also brought us three Cups and 20 years of sustained excellence that the fans of the 30 other franchises would give up their left arms for, so I don’t think it’s necessary to throw shade at him on a t-shirt.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Lou did a lot wrong the last few years.... he also brought us three Cups and 20 years of sustained excellence that the fans of the 30 other franchises would give up their left arms for, so I don’t think it’s necessary to throw shade at him on a t-shirt.  

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.b3102b91e03030ee53c4de004c69749a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Well if you’re gonna measure a guy’s success by Stanley Cups...

;) 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

It's useless to try to figure out specifics when the player is weeks away from free agency and has 100% of the leverage, as a GM you simply cannot let that happen for your top players. Even if the player do end up signing back with you. Its incredibly dumb to risk it. To make a long story short. Parise walked cause Lou let him get in a position where he could choose to walk. And as much as there was some complications around the parise situation, it was NOT an isolated case cause the same thing happened with Elias, Rafalski, Nieds, Gomez, Holik, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc The only time it didn't bite us in the ass was Elias. Let that sink in. He let fvcking ELIAS walk. 

And again, that's in the past thank god. And Shero's approach is flawless so far with his free agents through his career. So we have no reasons to worry. We had all the reasons in the world to worry with Zach cause it happened countless times before with Lou. 

I mean if you let your dog play in the road and he's hit by a dude driving while texting... sure buddy was texting and that's out of your control so it's easy to put all the blame on him but you did let your dog be in a position where it could happen. So it's on you. 

So there's a chance we could sign Lee or Eberle without a hitch is what you're saying. Lol. 

Lou reminds me of the stubborn boss who demands your absolute best but then screws you at your review by lowballing you and gives you no other option but to leave the company. 

1 minute ago, slasher72 said:

So there's a chance we could sign Lee or Eberle without a hitch is what you're saying. Lol. 

Lou reminds me of the stubborn boss who demands your absolute best but then screws you at your review by lowballing you and gives you no other option but to leave the company. 

Well true but it's one thing when your company is thriving and that it's worth dealing with the extra bullsh!t. Which is why he got away with a sh!tty approach with free agents... guys wanted to stay cause they didnt think it would be better elsewhere.

But when the business is trending down, that there's a good opportunity somewhere else, that employees are not having fun, the work sucks. Then you start wondering... why would i stay here when i could go somewhere... get paid better, be happier, i could grow a fvcking beard and use social media if i want to and not have to deal with all kinds of bullsh!t. And you look at other businesses around you on social media and everyone is having fun. Yeah, you'll think about leaving too.

That's where Lou lost it and where his unwillingness to adjust to the new NHL where loyalty is not much of a thing.

14 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

I mean you honestly cannot be serious here. You can't remember another player walking? 

He DID LET Elias walk. He almost signed with the Rangers but decided to sign back with NJ. Parise, Niedermayer, Gomez, Holik, Rafalski, Clarkson all had great value when they walked.

Even Elias who's always been really blunt called out Lou about his ways of not talking to players about extension during the season and waiting last minute. 

i design shirts for a living. I'd design it for free

But eventually Elias did stay with the Devils, so arguing about him is a moot point.

Nieds wanted to play with his brother.  Lou even tried to trade for him but Anaheim knew this and wanted a King's ransom for him.  We even offered Nieds more money than Anaheim just to stay.  Nothing Lou could do here.

Gomez had 1-2 seasons as an impact player after he left us.  Plus you would have been livid if we traded him away when we were the top team in the East in 2007 heading into the playoffs.

Same with Holik for Gomez.

Clarkson wasn't going to get nearly as big as a haul as Gomez if we traded him, but he walked for a ridiculous contract to a team who couldn't wait to get rid of him halfway into his first season there.

Trading Parise when we were making a playoff push and eventually getting us into the finals was going to upset you at the time.  We both know this.

Rafalski is really the only one where you kind of have a point where Lou dropped the ball.

Regardless, I am not going to kill Lou over these types of things.  I go after him for his signings (Clowe, Ryder, Cammy, etc) and his awful drafting after 2000.  I think going after Lou for these is unfair because it is a lot of seeing things in hindsight.  At the time, trading guys like Parise and Gomez at the trade deadline in their last seasons with the Devils made little to no sense.  Both seasons we were playoff bound and both were still very productive players.  Playoff teams typically add players at the deadline, not purge their roster.

15 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

But eventually Elias did stay with the Devils, so arguing about him is a moot point.

Nieds wanted to play with his brother.  Lou even tried to trade for him but Anaheim knew this and wanted a King's ransom for him.  We even offered Nieds more money than Anaheim just to stay.  Nothing Lou could do here.

Gomez had 1-2 seasons as an impact player after he left us.  Plus you would have been livid if we traded him away when we were the top team in the East in 2007 heading into the playoffs.

Same with Holik for Gomez.

Clarkson wasn't going to get nearly as big as a haul as Gomez if we traded him, but he walked for a ridiculous contract to a team who couldn't wait to get rid of him halfway into his first season there.

Trading Parise when we were making a playoff push and eventually getting us into the finals was going to upset you at the time.  We both know this.

Rafalski is really the only one where you kind of have a point where Lou dropped the ball.

Regardless, I am not going to kill Lou over these types of things.  I go after him for his signings (Clowe, Ryder, Cammy, etc) and his awful drafting after 2000.  I think going after Lou for these is unfair because it is a lot of seeing things in hindsight.  At the time, trading guys like Parise and Gomez at the trade deadline in their last seasons with the Devils made little to no sense.  Both seasons we were playoff bound and both were still very productive players.  Playoff teams typically add players at the deadline, not purge their roster.

The fact that he did let Elias walk and that he could have signed somewhere else is NOT a moot point at all. It shows how reckless his approach was.

You're the one looking at these situation in hindsight and finding excuses for each of them. It's not hindsight at all, you simply don't let these type of player get in a position where they can simply walk on you, it's that simple. Others GMs don't let that happen either unless there's some sort of situation. Lou did it just cause that was his way. Remember that time Crosby and ovechkin walked cause well... the caps and pens were in the playoffs so they couldnt trade them at the deadline.... oh right no. Of course they never let that happen.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

The fact that he did let Elias walk and that he could have signed somewhere else is NOT a moot point at all. It shows how reckless his approach was.

You're the one looking at these situation in hindsight and finding excuses for each of them. It's not hindsight at all, you simply don't let these type of player get in a position where they can simply walk on you, it's that simple. Others GMs don't let that happen either unless there's some sort of situation. Lou did it just cause that was his way. Remember that time Crosby and ovechkin walked cause well... the caps and pens were in the playoffs so they couldnt trade them at the deadline.... oh right no. Of course they never let that happen.

The fact that you had to compare Parise and Elias to generational players like Ovechkin and Crosby shows how weak your argument is.

Again, playoff teams do not trade key pieces at the deadline because of the possibility of them leaving in the offseason.  That's what teams who are well outside the playoff picture do and not the reserve.  The Devils in 2007 with Gomez (and Elias) and 2012 with Parise were in that position.

Players sometimes stay, and they sometimes walk.  It happens.  Likely Panarin is gone after this playoff run, but if you ask any Blue Jackets fan if not trading him at the deadline is worth the deepest playoff run they have ever been on and they will take the current playoff run 10 times out of 10.

If you're asking me to pick between an extra first round pick or two if we'd traded Parise, or the Henrique It's Over goal... well, that's a fvcking easy one. 

• Like 3

My daughter stumbled onto Mean Girls last night while flipping channels, and this was the part that happened to be on:

CADY: I was a woman possessed. I spent about 80% of my time talking about Regina, and the other 20% of the time, I was praying for someone else to bring her up, so I could talk about her more…I could hear people getting bored with me, but I couldn't stop. It just kept coming up like word vomit.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

My daughter stumbled onto Mean Girls last night while flipping channels, and this was the part that happened to be on:

CADY: I was a woman possessed. I spent about 80% of my time talking about Regina, and the other 20% of the time, I was praying for someone else to bring her up, so I could talk about her more…I could hear people getting bored with me, but I couldn't stop. It just kept coming up like word vomit.

You're allowed to just say "I watched Mean Girls last night". Unreal funny movie that still holds up. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, MB3 said:

You're allowed to just say "I watched Mean Girls last night". Unreal funny movie that still holds up. 

It’s a great movie.... but read the quote back to yourself and then consider what CR is getting at by posting it. Then consider the conversation that preceded him posting it....

Edited by MadDog2020

1 minute ago, MB3 said:

Lmao I won't even try to pretend that I haven't watched it start-to-finish more than once.  And yep, my daughter asked me what the movie was, and then asked how far into it it was at that point.  I told her pretty far, so she asked if we could watch it from the beginning sometime.  Yep, I told her we could.  And it does still hold up...if only Lindsay Lohan had held up...

• Like 2

Rachel McAdams is still as gorgeous as ever though. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Rachel McAdams is still as gorgeous as ever though. 

she's miraculously as beautiful now at 40 than she was in her early 20s. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, MB3 said:

she's miraculously as beautiful now at 40 than she was in her early 20s. 

And somehow looks at least eight years younger than Lindsay when she's actually eight years OLDER...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

The fact that you had to compare Parise and Elias to generational players like Ovechkin and Crosby shows how weak your argument is.

Again, playoff teams do not trade key pieces at the deadline because of the possibility of them leaving in the offseason.  That's what teams who are well outside the playoff picture do and not the reserve.  The Devils in 2007 with Gomez (and Elias) and 2012 with Parise were in that position.

Players sometimes stay, and they sometimes walk.  It happens.  Likely Panarin is gone after this playoff run, but if you ask any Blue Jackets fan if not trading him at the deadline is worth the deepest playoff run they have ever been on and they will take the current playoff run 10 times out of 10.

My argument is not weak. Give me ONE reason why you'd ever let your top players get in a position where they can walk and you lose them for nothing. give me ONE. And why you shouldnt try to sign them at the right time so that you have flexibility to make the best decision for the future of your team. Waiting last minute is giving up your leverage over your top assets. It's simply dumb. It's a bad business decision and there's no excuse to stick to an approach like that.

You're missing that it's not about trading them at the deadline or wtv. It's about knowing whats going on, have discussions in order to be able to be in the best position to manage your assets. Lou always went blind into the season gambling that they'd sign after the season, Elias called him out on it. It's simply dumb and the worst way to manage your assets. 

What was preventing Lou to sign Gomez before the season or Niedermayer? Again, Shero knows how it works. He dealt with the situation perfectly with Letang and Staal. It's funny that he never lost a big player to free agency and that Lou lost a bunch uh? 

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

If you're asking me to pick between an extra first round pick or two if we'd traded Parise, or the Henrique It's Over goal... well, that's a fvcking easy one. 

Well that's like saying "would you rather not smoke this one cigarette that will start an addiction and you get cancer in 20 years? Or not smoke that cigarette and live an extra 20 years" in hindsight it's very easy to pick.

It all comes down to the moment you make the decision, then you don't know how it will turn out. You may be fine but you have to know the risk. Not taking care of your assets and putting yourself in a position to lose them for nothing is like starting smoking. It's simply not smart. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Well that's like saying "would you rather not smoke this one cigarette that will start an addiction and you get cancer in 20 years? Or not smoke that cigarette and live an extra 20 years" in hindsight it's very easy to pick.

It all comes down to the moment you make the decision, then you don't know how it will turn out. You may be fine but you have to know the risk. Not taking care of your assets and putting yourself in a position to lose them for nothing is like starting smoking. It's simply not smart. 

What a poorly thought out and terrible analogy, dear lord. 

How about; this is like you taking a helicopter ride on vacation in Hawaii. Chances are it’ll be a great time. But if it crashes and you burn up into a million little pieces it’s easy for you to say “damn I should not have gotten on that helicopter.”

If Parise made his intentions clear to Lou that “there’s no way I’m coming back next year” (which puts the situation close to Panarin), maybe he should’ve moved on. But that’s not what happened

Lou saw a solid opportunity to get Brodeur one last cup, to win with the Elias/Marty/Kovy/Parise era that likely would be losing a few of those guys to retirement soon enough. It’s not asinine to think “we have a good chance to do some damage AND keep our homegrown captain after this season”. Trading him certainly damages the chance to re-sign him AND damages the chance to win the Cup. 

You’re always an expert with the benefit of hindsight. 

Also - for fun - let’s say you got a low 1st round pick in the 2012 draft after trading Parise to a playoff team. Who ya taking, champ? Do we avoid lung cancer with guys like Malcolm Subban and Olli Matta? Jankowski is a total Conte pick, too.

Those truly are rebuild-stoppers. Maybe you’re right. Imagine what this team would look like right now with Brendan Gaunce down the middle.

Edited by MB3

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, MB3 said:

What a poorly thought out and terrible analogy, dear lord. 

How about; this is like you taking a helicopter ride on vacation in Hawaii. Chances are it’ll be a great time. But if it crashes and you burn up into a million little pieces it’s easy for you to say “damn I should not have gotten on that helicopter.”

If Parise made his intentions clear to Lou that “there’s no way I’m coming back next year” (which puts the situation close to Panarin), maybe he should’ve moved on. But that’s not what happened

Lou saw a solid opportunity to get Brodeur one last cup, to win with the Elias/Marty/Kovy/Parise era that likely would be losing a few of those guys to retirement soon enough. It’s not asinine to think “we have a good chance to do some damage AND keep our homegrown captain after this season”. Trading him certainly damages the chance to re-sign him AND damages the chance to win the Cup. 

You’re always an expert with the benefit of hindsight. 

haha your analogy is even worst cause getting on an helicopter is not a systematic bad decision. Smoking is and giving away leverage with your business assets is. Very different. And Parise couldnt make his intentions clear cause Lou refuses to talk contract during the season. Again, something Elias called out and didn't agree with.

Nobody thought we'd make it to the cup finals that year, we were huge underdogs. That's easy to ignore in hindsight. And sure if the Parise situation was he only time it happened i'd let that go. But no, that's systematically how he handled his UFAs. There's no excuses about wtv situations, its simply how he did it. And when players had a reason to leave they all did because he paved the way.

Seriously don't play the hindsight thing with me cause i called everything that would happen to this franchise BEFORE it happened BECAUSE of the way Lou handled things. And it all happened from A to Z. I'm not the one making excuses for every situations based on hindsight

Edited by SterioDesign

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

haha your analogy is even worst cause getting on an helicopter is not a systematic bad decision. Smoking is and giving away leverage with your business assets is. Very different. And Parise couldnt make his intentions clear cause Lou refuses to talk contract during the season. Again, something Elias called out and didn't agree with.

Nobody thought we'd make it to the cup finals that year, we were huge underdogs. That's easy to ignore in hindsight. And sure if the Parise situation was he only time it happened i'd let that go. But no, that's systematically how he handled his UFAs. There's no excuses about wtv situations, its simply how he did it. And when players had a reason to leave they all did because he paved the way.

Seriously don't play the hindsight thing with me cause i called everything that would happen to this franchise BEFORE it happened BECAUSE of the way Lou handled things. And it all happened from A to Z. I'm not the one making excuses for every situations based on hindsight

On February 21st, a few days before the trade deadline, we were 35-20-4. Solidly in a playoff spot and only 6 points behind the eventual 1-seed New York Rangers.

Time to trade the captain and blow it up! We might be able to draft Olli Maatta with that pick!!!!!!!

Just now, MB3 said:

On February 21st, a few days before the trade deadline, we were 35-20-4. Solidly in a playoff spot and only 6 points behind the eventual 1-seed New York Rangers.

Time to trade the captain and blow it up! We might be able to draft Olli Maatta with that pick!!!!!!!

I never said to trade a player at the deadline, that's a very tough spot to put yourself in. Exactly how many times am i going to to give the example of how Shero dealt with his free agents in pittsburgh? He dealt with that during the summer. 

Lou should have never signed Parise to that 1 year. You sign him long term or you move on. Just like Shero did with Letang and Staal. 

But then the apologists will say that Parise was injured and that we didn't know how he'd come back. Oh. Well so that means Shero shouldnt sign Hall this summer based n that logic right? No. Shero has to deal with Hall this summer. That's how you protect your assets and don't wait to be in a position where your leverage is at its lowest.