GDT: NHL Draft Lottery Thread DEVILS. #. ONE. OVER. ALL!

Derlique

5 hours ago, njbuff said:

I hope the Devils don't stay irrelevant like the Oilers will all these number one overall picks

Remember, the Devils also won the 2011 NHL Lottery too, but for whatever reason, they weren't awarded the number one overall pick.

That’s as the good ole “you can only move up 6 spots days” or something to the effect. 

5 hours ago, Derlique said:

There were a bunch of us in chat, and @jasonmacissac (where is his account!?) posted a link on twitter to the leaked teams moving up. When Chicago moved up, we knew NJ was going up as well. Still fully expected us to be third, but for a good 15 minutes, we were debating the legitimacy of the leak!

Haha if I were there I could've told you it was legit...lots of wonky stuff happens when Viasat (rights holder here) is involved. You get all kinds of weird things when their broadcast is live but the actual broadcast for the NA viewers hasn't started. There was a minor one this season when the Flyers color/pbp-guys ripped the team during their skid in the fall. North America was on commercial but we don't get those, we get the studio cameras + hot mics. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marshall said:

Haha if I were there I could've told you it was legit...lots of wonky stuff happens when Viasat (rights holder here) is involved. You get all kinds of weird things when their broadcast is live but the actual broadcast for the NA viewers hasn't started. There was a minor one this season when the Flyers color/pbp-guys ripped the team during their skid in the fall. North America was on commercial but we don't get those, we get the studio cameras + hot mics. 

All the conspiracy theorists need to do is watch the video of Bettman conducting the draw the hour before, as filmed by Sportsnet. It's a tedious process that obviously needs to be done ahead of time, as it effects the whole draft order; showing it live would remove the suspense element from going down the list of 15 teams in a row, which is the whole point of what they're selling to Sportsnet/NBCSports.

It's not inconceivable to think the draw is conducted early, someone then needs to change a few of the draft order cards (if they don't have multiple versions of it already printed), and the broadcasters need to prep the graphics (a single-use 10 minute graphic that won't get used again all season, so I get how it's not a dynamic real-time thing). That graphic was probably on some pre-live setup screen, got picked up by Viasat apparently, and the rest is history.

The thing about conspiracy theories is that the people who believe them will say what I've said above is unrealistic, while believing a version of the events that's 10x more unlikely. Anyone who seriously thinks the lottery is rigged is placing faith in the story of:

• Josh Harris, Gary Bettman, and Ernst & Young, a global London-based firm, all being on the same page, with some kind of payoff involved.
  • Gary Bettman being willing to screw over Los Angeles from drafting a generational American-born talent... in order to benefit New Jersey of all places.
  • Ernst & Young staking their reputation on helping the Devils; some kind of payola scheme would be HUGE news and result in massive lawsuits and a blow to their brand.
  • Josh Harris staking the team's reputation, as the Devils would be tarred and feathered for a generation if caught. In this age of social media, snaps, camera phones, leaks, and let's face it, a desire for 15 minutes of fame, this would get leaked immediately if true. 
  • As with all conspiracies, it'd involve dozens of low-level and high-level people all being on board. The unpaid intern who probably had to glue up the foamcore team cards is NOT going to keep that intel to himself. This isn't the NSA, he wouldn't go to jail for letting this story out, he'd probably get a sweet payment by shopping it to the Athletic or ESPN.

People are ridiculous and anyone who believes any of the above is straight up salty.

Edited by DJ Eco

11 hours ago, Derlique said:

Anyway, I am firmly team Jack Hughes at the moment. Good teams come at you with waves, and having a 1-2 center punch of Hughes/Hischier does that. Kakko will probably be able run his own line in the near future, but if you look at Stanley Cup winners, they are strong down the middle.

Backstrom/Kuznetsov; Crosby/Malkin; Kopitar/Carter; Bergeron/Krejci

Does Shero do his Penguin magic again?  My money is on his doing just that.  In Ray we trust.

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

If we all recall from a season or two ago, all conspiracies are AGAINST the Devils, not FOR them. 

yep was beyond embarrassing.  It's cyclical it will be back next time we get a couple bad calls or don't get the first pick next year and the year after that.

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

According to the NY Post, we should be anticipating a huge offer from Vancouver for the first overall pick so Hughes can play with his brother. 

https://nypost.com/2019/04/10/kaapo-kakko-or-jack-hughes-rangers-hit-nhl-draft-jackpot-either-way/?utm_campaign=iosapp&utm_source=pasteboard_app

Petterson and multiple firsts.  That’s just to get Shero to pick up the phone.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

According to the NY Post, we should be anticipating a huge offer from Vancouver for the first overall pick so Hughes can play with his brother. 

https://nypost.com/2019/04/10/kaapo-kakko-or-jack-hughes-rangers-hit-nhl-draft-jackpot-either-way/?utm_campaign=iosapp&utm_source=pasteboard_app

Well... if they care that much about reuniting them... they can just trade Quinn to NJ.... we do need some D... 

• Like 2