GDT: NHL Draft Lottery Thread DEVILS. #. ONE. OVER. ALL!

Derlique

On 4/11/2019 at 7:59 PM, Neb00rs said:

Obviously, your suggestion is the most reasonable one possible but this really shouldn't get Shero to pick up the phone either. With the way the draft lottery works now, you can't be guaranteed better than the 4th pick, which is almost never a lock for an elite player. Hughes and Kakko will be elite players. If this was pre-lottery fine, but the Devils have the #1 pick. In today's NHL and in a year with a player as good as Hughes, that's almost invaluable.

And this is coming from someone who was opening to trading our top pick two years ago. And reading between the lines, the Devils did inquire, but rightly weren't willing to drop below #3 (Heiskanen), which Dallas wasn't willing to part with, also rightly.

To be clear, I don’t want the Devils to trade the pick for on-paper “value”...if Hughes is Shero’s guy and the player that he absolutely wants, no questions asked, then just take him and call it a day.  But if Vancouver ever called offering Petterson and big gaggle of picks (say 3 first-rounders and a couple of seconds), sure, I could see why Shero would have to least explore it...though if Vancouver ever offered THAT much, probably reinforces how special Hughes has the potential to be.  Which is way I say “Thanks, but no thanks.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

...though if Vancouver ever offered THAT much, probably reinforces how special Hughes has the potential to be.  Which is way I say “Thanks, but no thanks.”

That was my point. If they were going to give you the Calder winner plus 3 firsts, then you shouldn’t be doing it. They aren’t doing that just so he can play with his brother. 

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

To be clear, I don’t want the Devils to trade the pick for on-paper “value”...if Hughes is Shero’s guy and the player that he absolutely wants, no questions asked, then just take him and call it a day.  But if Vancouver ever called offering Petterson and big gaggle of picks (say 3 first-rounders and a couple of seconds), sure, I could see why Shero would have to least explore it...though if Vancouver ever offered THAT much, probably reinforces how special Hughes has the potential to be.  Which is way I say “Thanks, but no thanks.”

Yeah, I basically see what you're saying: if there were to be anything that Ray should consider it should be at least that. Fair. My only point is to add that no matter how many first rounders you get, it's hard to guarantee that any of them are that good and so it's kind of silly to trade an actual #1 pick for picks that could be anywhere from 1-31 (and most likely 4-15 or so). In the Nico draft year, obviously multiple first rounders for the top pick becomes more attractive. 

• Like 1

All through the season whenever there was a conversation about the draft it was always Jack Hughes that was consensus #1. When reading articles or listening to discussions I never once thought Hughes could be a Devil. When it started to become obvious that the Devils weren't going to make the play offs there were other teams that were much worse. I stopped looking at the standings and started looking at where the Devils might pick. Byram, Cozens, Zegras, Dach, Krebs all looked like very good players and one of them should fall to the Devils. The #LoseforHughes tag amused me but I thought it applied to the Kings or Ottawa not the Devils.

Watching the draft lottery on tuesday was surreal. I was expecting to see the Devils logo appear with every turn of a card and it didn't happen. When it got to the last three I was saying to myself I don't care if Chicago get #1 as long as the Rangers didn't get it.

I still can't believe we've got the #1 pick. It never once crossed my mind this season that would happen. Fantastic player though Kakko will be I really can't see how any team could pass up on picking Jack Hughes. I couldn't wait for last season to end. now I can't wait for next season to start!

• Like 6

On 4/13/2019 at 11:47 AM, Neb00rs said:

Yeah, I basically see what you're saying: if there were to be anything that Ray should consider it should be at least that. Fair. My only point is to add that no matter how many first rounders you get, it's hard to guarantee that any of them are that good and so it's kind of silly to trade an actual #1 pick for picks that could be anywhere from 1-31 (and most likely 4-15 or so). In the Nico draft year, obviously multiple first rounders for the top pick becomes more attractive. 

Yep, this.  Sure, on paper you get a fat gaggle of picks, but no guarantees that any of those picks turns into a real impact player...right now we’ve already dialed down our expectations of Zacha, where we’re hoping he can become a solid-to-really good 3C.  The Flyers have already appeared to have given up on Patrick being a 1C and are already waffling on him ever being a real 2C.  

The example that always comes to mind was when the cost for the Blues signing Scott Stevens (Group 2 FA) was five first-round picks.  Of those five picks, only Sergei Gonchar truly stands out...Brendan Witt did play 626 games with the Caps (890 overall), but not necessarily a guy who screams “former first rounder” (he was taken 11th overall in 1993).  The other three picks didn’t amount to much at all.  

So yeah, I say take Hughes, and don’t even pick up the phone.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The Devils will have three number one overall picks on their roster in 2019.

That's gotta account for some sort of vast improvement , doesn't it?

depends on who you ask, some people on this board will argue that in some way this makes them worse

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

How many did Edmonton have?

Well TBF Yakupov was a total bust. Which is obviously not the case with Hall and Hischier. And probably won’t be with Hughes. 

And Hall and McDavid only played one partial season together (TH 65GP, CM 48GP). 

Edited by Nicomo