Shero signs extension

MadDog2020

As for Shero's plan this summer he's really creative but we also have to be realistic that there's only a few options on the market and not all of them would be good moves.

First you got to establish what we're really missing... realistically we have all the bottom 6 players we'd ever want already so it's just a matter of pimping our top 6 which will push down some players being asked to do more than they should. In a perfect world this is what i'd see. I'd really want a undisputed top center for our first or second line... then we'd have Zacha or Zajac who i feel are perfect 3rd line center... in that scenario it makes Zacha expendable so maybe that's a way to make a trade to get something else we need.

Then on D we'll just have to accept that Greene will be here another year so it could be a battle between a bunch of young guys through the year to see who will replace him when he's gone.

Hall - Hischier - UPGRADE

UPGRADE - UPGRADE - Palmieri

Coleman - Zacha/Zajac - Bratt

Wood - Rooney - Anderson

extras:

Seney - McLeod - Seney

UPGRADE - Vatanen

Greene - Severson

Butcher - Smith

extras:

Yakovlev - Carrick

davies - Santini

So... for those spot we can likely draft someone who may fill one of those hole. But there's not that much on the market... Panarin (but i think he'll go to Florida) and Skinner are the only 2 guys i'd go hard for. Duchene i'm not sure if we should go for him too hard. Outside of them there's a few guys i'd look into like maybe Karlsson... Hayes... Nyquist....Nelson... but those are likely not guys that make it or break it (even if say Shero can't sign anyone he'll be blamed for not throwing Hayes a 7 years 160millions contract and staying pat and that it's why we missed the playoffs lol) 

On the D Trouba, Karlsson and Myers are the only guys worth considering too. If none of those guys want to sign with us there's really not much Shero can do about it.

12 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I agree, I'm also very very nervous about Podkozlin. I love the raw skill but the thought of possibly waiting two years to see him in north America has me hesitant. 

Like you said, its a crap shoot. I trust Shero and his crew to make a good pick. I don't think they've had a dud since he was hired here but id have to look

Yeah the Blue Jackets are in a mess right now because of bad management but Castron did a great job with the draft there. Most of his first round pick did pan out nicely. Many many gems found like late rounds like Josh Anderson who was picked in the 4th round and almost scored 30 goals this year. Cam Atkinson in the 6th round. Matt Calvert in the 5th etc etc

Can we all agree that if Shero actually uses all 10 picks this year, he failed? There is zero reason to try and stock a cupboard when you can move the plethora of picks we have for help now.

also, I bitch and bitch about Greene and sorry it wont stop, but I understand he only has one year left now and while $2.5m over 2 years of a buyout versus 1 year $5m isn’t much of a difference, we’re not buying out the Captain that’s beloved by the coach. What needs to happen is he gets bottom pair minutes since he is actually good on the PK cause he doesn’t have to move his old ass around much.

Guess the second point belongs more in an off-season thread but I’m sticking to my guns about my first, Ray needs to move picks and, quite frankly, this summer is a critical point of his Devils’ legacy 

50 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

This won't be the start and that's the problem.

The offseason ENDS with Hall signing or being traded.

Hall has to see draft, trades, UFA.

it starts tonight because you have to see if you land 1 or 2. if you do, you know you have a center or a winger and that helps target for UFA and trades.

does ray target the Isles UFA's (lee, nelson, eberle)? i like nelson a lot and think he'd be a good fit but i don't know that guys are taking the devils money.

If Eberele hits the market, it is this humble poster’s opinion that YOU GO GET HIM. Hell I’ll take any of the three aforementioned Islanders, each has a skill set we could use.

54 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Can we all agree that if Shero actually uses all 10 picks this year, he failed? There is zero reason to try and stock a cupboard when you can move the plethora of picks we have for help now.

I'm not sure if it's fair to see it as black and white though. You sure can try to make trades but if nothing worth it bites, you don't just trade for the sake of having traded something. 

Obviously it would be ideal if he can pull off something but many teams are not willing to do too much prior to the draft or before free agency

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, jagknife said:

also, I bitch and bitch about Greene and sorry it wont stop, but I understand he only has one year left now and while $2.5m over 2 years of a buyout versus 1 year $5m isn’t much of a difference, we’re not buying out the Captain that’s beloved by the coach. What needs to happen is he gets bottom pair minutes since he is actually good on the PK cause he doesn’t have to move his old ass around much.

Guess the second point belongs more in an off-season thread but I’m sticking to my guns about my first, Ray needs to move picks and, quite frankly, this summer is a critical point of his Devils’ legacy 

I can't say that he would have "failed" only because I'd have to see what came afterwards (say, he does actually use all of the picks to select players, but then deals one or more of them later in the offseason).  Really seems like a longshot that he doesn't make at least one deal involving some of those picks though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I agree, I'm also very very nervous about Podkozlin. I love the raw skill but the thought of possibly waiting two years to see him in north America has me hesitant. 

Like you said, its a crap shoot. I trust Shero and his crew to make a good pick. I don't think they've had a dud since he was hired here but id have to look

Even if you don't include the 2015 draft, McLeood was a bad pick, but he made up for it with some  excellent late round picks that year. 

33 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Even if you don't include the 2015 draft, McLeood was a bad pick, but he made up for it with some  excellent late round picks that year. 

I keep forgetting that McLeod is that young for some reason. Yeah, you're right. Maybe I should amend what I said... I'm much more confident in Shero and company than Lou and company 

18 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I keep forgetting that McLeod is that young for some reason. Yeah, you're right. Maybe I should amend what I said... I'm much more confident in Shero and company than Lou and company 

The one excuse you can give about the McLeod pick is that there was really only one star drafted within ten picks after him and that was McAvoy.  I generally give mulligans on not having the forsight to pick a mid second rounder like DeBrincat in the first round.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daniel said:

The one excuse you can give about the McLeod pick is that there was really only one star drafted within ten picks after him and that was McAvoy.  I generally give mulligans on not having the forsight to pick a mid second rounder like DeBrincat in the first round.

i wouldnt say McLeod is a bad pick cause we knew after Jost that there was a huge drop in talent and wasnt much after though. i remember after the puck i was not excited at all

36 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i wouldnt say McLeod is a bad pick cause we knew after Jost that there was a huge drop in talent and wasnt much after though. i remember after the puck i was not excited at all

He’s a bad pick because he sucks lol. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He’s a bad pick because he sucks lol. 

Guessing with the Devils winning the draft, that McLeod’s going to be spending all of next year with Bingo.  

And that’s a good thing for McLeod.  He is not ready for the NHL yet (though he probably did better than expected, even with the lack of glamour numbers).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Looks like we got one of those upgrades lined up now!

i'd be fine with this....

Hall - Hischier - Palmieri

Skinner - Hughes - Bratt

Zacha - Zajac - Coleman

Wood - Rooney - Anderson

Trouba - Vatanen

Greene - Severson

Butcher - Smith

Schneider

Blackwood

11 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

This is nuts too, I would have never guessed it's been that long since they drafted this high... "Rangers jumped up four spots to get their first top-two draft pick since they took Hall of Famer Brad Park second overall in 1966." 

• Like 1