Hughes or Kakko

Jerzey

Hughes or Kakko?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who should Shero pick?

I'm sure I will change my mind a million times from now until draft day, but I've been leaning towards Kakko lately. I think he is an underrated playmaker, in addition to being an elite goal scorer. And as SterioDesign posted, he has outperformed nearly every U-18 Liiga player, and I believe set a record for goals as a rookie. And he continues to dominate in the playoffs. His vision is just incredible, and he has that ability to be a couple steps ahead of everyone else, and anticipate where his teammates and opponents will be when it's time to make a play. Add in the fact that he's got a great shot and he has that element of physicality, Kakko really is the whole package. I also think Kakko fills some of the voids that the team lacks, but this really should not play any role in the selection, in my opinion.

Then there are just as many arguments for Hughes. It's always a good idea to build down the middle, and having 2 #1 centers is how Shero was so successful in Pittsburgh all those years. Plus, Hughes, to me, is the future of the NHL. He is so good at such high speeds, he just stuns his opponents. It's kind of like how McDavid is a gear or two above everybody else. The puck control that Hughes has is amazing, too. The only knock on him is that he's a bit undersized, but I don't think this will hold him back much.

Basically, I'm ecstatic at the idea of having either one of them, and will not be slightly disappointed with whoever is selected at 1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matteau#32 said:

Last week, saw a Rangers fan say they want the 2nd pick.  For this exact reason.  1/2 fans will want Hughes, 1/2 will want Kakko.  At 2, you get the guy who is there. Can't go wrong with either.  Shero might just have to flip a coin.

Yeah, it's great because no one can blame the team if the player doesn't live up to his potential and the fans don't have to have any regrets.

Until the third player picked turns into the next Pavel Datsyuk of course.

Nice to see you btw Matteau.

• Like 2

Trade down is actually an option, only if we have McDavid or Matthews coming here I guess.

He said he met Hall who was a pretty "nice guy", but I did read some horror stories about Hall and his ego. Hope the guy means it and is not only saying it for TV.

This is closer than Hischier/Patrick. I think the Devils knew it was going to be Hischier from the moment they won. Their might be some internal debate here. Ultimately I feel they will select Hughes. But it's not a slam dunk

6 minutes ago, Anhkheg said:

Trade down is actually an option, only if we have McDavid or Matthews coming here I guess.

He said he met Hall who was a pretty "nice guy", but I did read some horror stories about Hall and his ego. Hope the guy means it and is not only saying it for TV.

He skates with Hall, not just met him once or something. 

30 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I'm saying Hughes because I don't want him across the river with a chip on his shoulder for the next 10-15 years. 

Kakko would be under the bright lights (brah) thinking the exact same thing. These are proud competitors and guarantee he truly believes he's the best player in this draft. As he should

We just have to pick the right guy. Forget about that the other one will be a Rangers. Nothing we can do about that

And when on that cool April night, at the death of winter's scourge and on the cusp of Spring's approach, as the bald-headed man sang out the news of the Devil's victory, if one looked closely enough, he could see young Jack quickly smile. Now, one may quite rightly tell themselves this is nothing but an innocuous response from a genteel young lad. But I, I prefer to believe that this precocious boy, like many greats before his time, knows, the Rangers do suck so.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Matteau#32 said:

Last week, saw a Rangers fan say they want the 2nd pick.  For this exact reason.  1/2 fans will want Hughes, 1/2 will want Kakko.  At 2, you get the guy who is there. Can't go wrong with either.  Shero might just have to flip a coin.

And Shero's pick will always be under more intense scrutiny

Didn't even have to go to hockey's future. From my friend's (rangers fan) Isles fan brother on facebook:  "NHL is so corrupt.  How does Chicago and the Rangers get selected in lottery in same year?  What they WANTED to do was Rangers 1st, Blackhawks 2nd, Kings 3rd.  2nd choice was Rangers 1st, Blackhawks 2nd, Devils 3rd.  They then realized it would be TOO obvious, so the gave the Devils first (still in a large market) and dropped the Rangers and Blackhawks down a spot.  Now, somehow the Devils will take the Russian and give the Rangers and Chicago Hughes and Kakko."  Neither my friend nor his brother are known for having a competent and logical thought process.

10 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Well if Hughes is better than kakko and kakko did better than all those guys... im fine with both

1396795204_ScreenShot2019-03-18at12_43_25AM.thumb.png.3acb6c48f2f1fdf632498a8af68298da.png

I guess we take a wait and see approach like we did with Hischier / Patrick. As long as we get the better player, I don't care who it is. Lol. 

Does Kaako have any parallels to someone like Forsberg?  Part of me is intrigued by him and the fact that we've never had a great Finnish player in our team's history, but I know more about Hughes and I don't see many holes in his game other than maybe his size, which we know is something you can sort of control (obviously not the height part), and it'll come with time.   

I don't think we can go wrong with either guy.  At the end of the day, Shero and Co. were in this position two years ago, where it was a pretty close race/debate between two guys, so they're no stranger to having to make tough decisions.  I'm confident they'll make the choice that they feel is best for the organization, and once it's done, we just have to hope our guy works out, and the Ranger's guy has a career-ending but non-life-threatening injury before his rookie year. 

Go for the center, if we can plug in Nico and Hughes as our #1 and #2 centers for the next decade, we can be a great team for a long time. That's how it's done now, Tavares/Matthews in Toronto, Crosby/Malkin in Pittsburgh, Stamkos/Point in Tampa, and now Hughes/Hischier is going to be the next two-headed monster in the league. I can't fvcking wait.

• Like 7