Hughes or Kakko

Jerzey

Hughes or Kakko?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who should Shero pick?

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

We had Zacha, Maroon, Boyle, and Mueller last season and still weren’t even close. It was lack of talent. Not size. 

Okay I agree with you. My comment wasn't about New Jersey's overall performance last year though. 

EDIT: Also, Mueller was out a lot and isn't any good, Boyle never even uses his size he's too nice, Zacha also doesn't use his size, and Maroon did make a difference in his short time here. You can't really compare those guys to big dudes like Byfuglien or Bortuzzo in a physical sense and def not on a level like Colorado's top line(yes I know they are also really skilled too).

Edited by NJDevils1214

58 minutes ago, lazer said:

just from initial reaction its a tough choice

olympic ice; finnish skaters are just superior + size; shot

vs

good hands and good hockey sense, smaller; nhl ice 

so no prediction but i want kakko but probably they pick hughes.

Kakko’s skating is not superior to Hughes. Watch some clips of Hughes skate. He’s ridiculously good. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Kakko’s skating is not superior to Hughes. Watch some clips of Hughes skate. He’s ridiculously good. 

Yep, they're saying he's not as fast as McDavid but his skating might actually be better.

Edited by DJ Eco

27 minutes ago, DJ Eco said:

Yep, they're saying he's not as fast as McDavid but his skating might actually be better.

The way Hughes moves east-west on his edges and glides looks like he's playing a different sport in some clips. Like a figure skater out there (in a good way). Then you add in his hands and ability to make moves at full speed...makes defenders look silly.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Okay I agree with you. My comment wasn't about New Jersey's overall performance last year though. 

EDIT: Also, Mueller was out a lot and isn't any good, Boyle never even uses his size he's too nice, Zacha also doesn't use his size, and Maroon did make a difference in his short time here. You can't really compare those guys to big dudes like Byfuglien or Bortuzzo in a physical sense and def not on a level like Colorado's top line(yes I know they are also really skilled too).

I was going to back up your claim and say the same thing, but you already did - that the other three outside of Maroon never used their size effectively, if at all.  They were big guys, but not physical guys.

18 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I was going to back up your claim and say the same thing, but you already did - that the other three outside of Maroon never used their size effectively, if at all.  They were big guys, but not physical guys.

Disagree about Boyle. How many goals did he score because of being camped in front of the goal? That’s an effective use of his size. 

Arguably he also used it for faceoffs also, it’s not all stick work. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Now you’re changing what you said, which was “NJ is hurting for large bodies.” And I pointed out we had them. 

11 hours ago, Nicomo said:

This.

Pronman seems to know what he's talking about - he had this to say about Kakko's skating: 

For me his skating is about average, maybe a half-tick above, but it’s not what drives his value. He’s not spinning off checks with his edge work or blazing down the wing. He relies on his skill, power and sense to make plays.

“It’s not going to hold him back, but it’s not a strength,” said one NHL scout about Kakko’s skating.

ETA: And yes, Hughes skating is Elite. Again, from Pronman: 

Skating. This is the lengthiest section of Hughes’s scouting report because skating is what drives his value. In a modern game dictated by speed and pace, Jack Hughes can make an impact. His skating and pace define his game.

“His pace is elite, he can do everything fast,” said one scout.

His edge work is special. He spins off pressure and evades checks so well with his edges.

Edited by LittleBallofHate
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Disagree about Boyle. How many goals did he score because of being camped in front of the goal? That’s an effective use of his size. 

Arguably he also used it for faceoffs also, it’s not all stick work. 

True.  I was referring more about defensive physicality, because I thought that's what 1214 meant.

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Now you’re changing what you said, which was “NJ is hurting for large bodies.” And I pointed out we had them. 

I haven't changed anything I said. Maybe I should have elaborate more to avoid being nitpicked and said NJ needs, or at least could use, effective big bodies. Kakko would be that. Did you not watch the Colorado game this year where NJ was getting pounded physically? None of the guys on this team in any of the last two years could return that to the other team. I feel like I've woken up in the twilight zone and I've imagined eveyone complaining about how soft this team is, especially around our own net, the last few years. 

I retract a bit about what I said about Boyle, but he was never a physical presence without the puck.

16 hours ago, Nicomo said:

oh yeah maybe, i was making general reference that the Finns are some of the best skaters in the world

still a tough choice but hughes would be the easy choice if that makes sense

2 hours ago, Devils01 said:

his stats are just ridonculous ..

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/305432/jack-hughes

Did you see this article from February inside your post?

Another good read  

https://www.eprinkside.com/2019/2/8/cohen-hughes-will-go-first-and-heres-why

• Like 2

I read an article from Jan/Feb & the writer said they media would start pumping up Kakko as it got closer to the draft so people pay attention/tune in. 

It's the Jack Hughes draft.  I've read over & over how special he is, how he makes the players around him better, how he's a Franchise player. He's exactly the type of player the Devils have been trying to get on the team since Ray & co have gotten here. 

Having said that, I trust Ray & Castron (et al) to make the correct choice (whomever that is), as they did with Nico. 

@WGR550   Button - Jack Hughes is the superior player to everyone in the draft. He's electrifying. Why not take the superior player? I think it's a more closer gap between Kakko and Podkolzin. #NHLDraft

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LittleBallofHate said:

I read an article from Jan/Feb & the writer said they media would start pumping up Kakko as it got closer to the draft so people pay attention/tune in. 

It's the Jack Hughes draft.  I've read over & over how special he is, how he makes the players around him better, how he's a Franchise player. He's exactly the type of player the Devils have been trying to get on the team since Ray & co have gotten here. 

Having said that, I trust Ray & Castron (et al) to make the correct choice (whomever that is), as they did with Nico. 

@WGR550   Button - Jack Hughes is the superior player to everyone in the draft. He's electrifying. Why not take the superior player? I think it's a more closer gap between Kakko and Podkolzin. #NHLDraft

Let's let this rumor blow up so the Rangers take Podkolzin

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

Teams like the Flames, Capitals and Lightning have been sh!tting on us for a while. It'll be nice once things start evening out. 

hall, Nico, palms, Hughes and bratt are on their way to change that... lets use some of those picks to make a move to improve the D and hope that smith will be ready to make an impact next season. All of a sudden we can feel that we have a lot to look forward to very soon and more importantly for years to come

On 4/11/2019 at 9:38 AM, Nicomo said:

Yes, but who’s going against the better competition? Most of the men in the Finnish league are playing there for a reason right? Whereas Hughes is going up against more actual NHL caliber prospects. 

Liiga is a professional league. It's not filled with players who aren't good enough to become *professionals*. It's not filled with teenagers who won't have a professional career. Kakko plays significantly tougher competition in Liiga.

Edited by Marshall
  • Like 1