Hughes or Kakko

Jerzey

Hughes or Kakko?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who should Shero pick?

22 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

so just for sh!ts and giggles... what would need to happen in this tournament for you guys to switch to Kakko. Cause even if i'm team Hughes... we have to remember Kakko has been playing against men all year. So it would be the first time where they play against the same competition for a perfect comparison.

And of course im just asking prior cause you know... in sports fans can very quickly switch their mindset depending on various situations

Like Parise and Kovy were truly praised here... up until they left then suddenly they were never that good and we were better off without them

or potential free agent players that would be a great fit and he's great.... until they signs with someone else then they sucks and they are just overpaid

And let's be honest, if we'd have the 2nd pick... most of us would likely do the exact same thing and pump Kakko's tires and find ways to say Hughes isn't that much of a big deal lol 

There are no realistic scenarios for the Worlds that should change anyone’s opinion. Period, end of discussion.

As for Sommers, I think we finally have found the archetype for the Ranger fan that was hiding in plain sight.  Supremely and undeservedly arrogant.  Might know some trivia about the sport, but otherwise ignorant but could never realize it.  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Kakko would have to have a hat trick every single game lol

I want Hughes 100% and I don’t really care if Kakko is more NHL ready right now. No way in hell do I want the Devils to pass on the most hyped player since McDavid based off one tournament. 

do you feel Hughes is more hyped than Matthews though? To me and from everything i've seen and read, looks like Matthews has the higher ceiling/potential of the 2. 

On 4/27/2019 at 12:16 PM, glenwo2 said:

FOR REAL??

YOU MEAN THIS GODDAMN "GIMMICK" IS NOW INFESTING INTERNATIONAL PLAY??? 😡

Glad to see other people hating on the shootout—I despise it.  What’s other major sport has a game-deciding part of the sport only for part of the season anyway?  Now the last thing I want is to see the SO in the playoffs, but it is plain goofy to resolve games one way in the reg season and another way in the postseason.  It would be like if football had a kicking competition to decide games during the year, but in the playoffs they played actual, you know, football to decide who wins.  Really makes the NHL look stupid.... but hey, who’s listening to me?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

do you feel Hughes is more hyped than Matthews though? To me and from everything i've seen and read, looks like Matthews has the higher ceiling/potential of the 2. 

Well Hughes has put up better numbers than Matthews, Kane, Kessel, Eichel, Keller, etc...

197 points in the NDTP compared to Matthews 167. Matthews scores more goals but Hughes gets way more assists. I guarantee Cole Caufield doesn’t have such ridiculous goal numbers without Hughes. 

I personally think he could be better than Matthews. He’s already a better skater. And with some more size and age he’ll get even better. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Well Hughes has put up better numbers than Matthews, Kane, Kessel, Eichel, Keller, etc...

197 points in the NDTP compared to Matthews 167. Matthews scores more goals but Hughes gets way more assists. I guarantee Cole Caufield doesn’t have such ridiculous goal numbers without Hughes. 

I personally think he could be better than Matthews. He’s already a better skater. And with some more size and age he’ll get even better. 

well comparing just points can be misleading too. Clayton Keller scored a lot more than Matthews and Eichel in the program, but they both made the NHL right away and produced a lot more than him since. Even jeremie bracco had more pts than Matthews and eichel... and honestly i don't even know who that kid is lol

Also Matthews went oversea to play in a league against men so he likely didn't play as many games in the program than Hughes.

I agree he's a better skater and has better vision than Matthews i believe. But matthews has the size and the shot. Not sure who's faster or better defensively though. So it's just a matter of seeing how it translates in the NHL

6 hours ago, devlman said:

Annoying how stupid NY sports media are. All of a sudden they think they’re hockey experts and think Kakko is on par with Hughes lol. Steve Somers just gave some Devils fan sh!t by asking who scored in game 7 of the world juniors. Yes, game 7...completely hockey illiterate these people are. The average Devils fan knows 100x more hockey than the typical rag fan.

That's Somers' game :  Needling both Devils and Isles fans.  

Don't really care what he thinks.

And his knowledge of Hockey ended when Bobby Orr RETIRED A MILLION YEARS AGO..when Steve was young.

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

so just for sh!ts and giggles... what would need to happen in this tournament for you guys to switch to Kakko. Cause even if i'm team Hughes... we have to remember Kakko has been playing against men all year. So it would be the first time where they play against the same competition for a perfect comparison.

And of course im just asking prior cause you know... in sports fans can very quickly switch their mindset depending on various situations

Like Parise and Kovy were truly praised here... up until they left then suddenly they were never that good and we were better off without them

or potential free agent players that would be a great fit and he's great.... until they signs with someone else then they sucks and they are just overpaid

And let's be honest, if we'd have the 2nd pick... most of us would likely do the exact same thing and pump Kakko's tires and find ways to say Hughes isn't that much of a big deal lol 

Hope I don't sound like a Rude jerk here (my apologies if I do) but :

May I ask what point are you attempting to make here? 

We don't have that scenario.

We are picking #1 and are picking Hughes.  

Who gives a rat's ass about what we would do if we had the #2 pick at this point?   The fact remains that we DON'T.   We have the #1 pick.    End of story.

Edited by glenwo2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Hope I don't sound like a Rude jerk here (my apologies if I do) but :

May I ask what point are you attempting to make here? 

We don't have that scenario.

We are picking #1 and are picking Hughes.  

Who gives a rat's ass about what we would do if we had the #2 pick at this point?   The fact remains that we DON'T.   We have the #1 pick.    End of story.

Simply trying to gather comments about players prior to potential events to see if said opinion about players change depending on said event. 

Cause again, we see that happen all the time

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Simply trying to gather comments about players prior to potential events to see if said opinion about players change depending on said event. 

Cause again, we see that happen all the time

Of course we do 'cause fans follow the same motto I do :

Out of Sight, Out of Mind.

If a player is not on my team, he does not exist as I concern myself only with my own players.   Not the players of another team.

And since we are not getting Kakko, and our RIVALS are, of course we're going to "needle" them about him and minimize who he is and his impact in the NHL.    

36 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Of course we do 'cause fans follow the same motto I do :

Out of Sight, Out of Mind.

If a player is not on my team, he does not exist as I concern myself only with my own players.   Not the players of another team.

And since we are not getting Kakko, and our RIVALS are, of course we're going to "needle" them about him and minimize who he is and his impact in the NHL.    

lol yeah well no. There's hockey fans and there's team fans.

Hockey fans usually know quite a bit about other teams and players around the league and are able to make smart comparison or educated comments cause they don't live in an echo chamber.

While team fans with your "motto" may say stuff like "Dahlin is not that impressive to me" and somehow think Smith accomplished more him at the same age. And when their team trade for a player the first thing they do is google that player to learn about him cause they have no idea.

Trust me i live around Habs fans who are "habs fans only" and many think Maurice Richard was better than Mario Lemieux or Gretzky.

A good example was Jimmy Vesey. Almost all Devils fans were all in for that kid and we all wanted him. He was a top prospect and all. Same thing with shattenkirk. Then they went to the Rangers. And the same fans changed their opinion about the players instantly.

I mean it's fine to HATE the guy... i get it. But it's incredibly hypocrite to project a whole other opinion of the players abilities based on the team he's on lol

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1
  • Angry 1

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

But Shattenkirk has sucked as a Ranger...lol

oh for sure and thank god lol That's a straight up fact that can be verified haha

It's not what i'm talking about though... like fans saying that Kovy carried the whole team on his back at some point, the most electrifying player we've ever had and that he should have got the Conn Smyth if we win the cup, etc etc. And then once he left say that he was never that good for us. lol

4 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

oh for sure and thank god lol That's a straight up fact that can be verified haha

It's not what i'm talking about though... like fans saying that Kovy carried the whole team on his back at some point, the most electrifying player we've ever had and that he should have got the Conn Smyth if we win the cup, etc etc. And then once he left say that he was never that good for us. lol

Who are those fans you keep referring to and why do you insist on talking about Kovalchuk in this thread?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

lol yeah well no. There's hockey fans and there's team fans.

Hockey fans usually know quite a bit about other teams and players around the league and are able to make smart comparison or educated comments cause they don't live in an echo chamber.

While team fans with your "motto" may say stuff like "Dahlin is not that impressive to me" and somehow think Smith accomplished more him at the same age. And when their team trade for a player the first thing they do is google that player to learn about him cause they have no idea.

Trust me i live around Habs fans who are "habs fans only" and many think Maurice Richard was better than Mario Lemieux or Gretzky.

A good example was Jimmy Vesey. Almost all Devils fans were all in for that kid and we all wanted him. He was a top prospect and all. Same thing with shattenkirk. Then they went to the Rangers. And the same fans changed their opinion about the players instantly.

I mean it's fine to HATE the guy... i get it. But it's incredibly hypocrite to project a whole other opinion of the players abilities based on the team he's on lol

Why are you so hung up on that?   It's only my opinion which was already discussed earlier.  

In fact, I recalled saying something like "I stand corrected" and then you blasted me without even bothering to understand (you misunderstood, and even admitted it) what was said.

And anyway, who is saying that I'm projecting a whole other opinion of Kakko's abilities?        The only thing I said earlier was that I had a feeling he might(MIGHT, being the word here) end up in the echelon of "Very Good Player but not Great".....oh that's also an opinion(NOT FACT, nor was I ever passing that off as fact).  

Edited by glenwo2

I'm to the point where I'd be pretty devastated if it wasn't Hughes....Great article on the U.S. U-18's last run and their push to get the bronze to keep a streak of 15 straight tourneys with a medal alive (didn't know that was a thing) https://theathletic.com/955458/2019/05/02/hockey-has-no-feelings-inside-team-usas-heartbreak-and-redemption/

Highlights on quotes about/from Jack: 

Hughes thought it was going in. Everybody did. “It would have been nice,” Hughes said simply afterward, the crushing disappointment of the eventual shootout loss surfacing as a blank stare while he answered postgame questions in three- or four-word sentences. His conclusion is one all players come to at some point in this unforgiving sport. “That’s hockey,” he said. “That’s what happens.”

“Jack is at another level. The best part about that, if he’s on that next level, they want to be like him,” said Caufield’s dad, Paul. “They’re striving to be like him every day.”

“It’s a very competitive game,” Shero said. “From the first shift, Jack is dialed in. It’s hard to be on all the time and the effort is always there from him. But you can see, he’s making a difference. He sees the ice, makes plays. Obviously uses the ice well. He’s a selfless player who has the instinct to buy time and when you have the edges he has, it’s hard to contain.”

From Jack's dad: “These kids are elite hockey players. If they don’t know it now, they learned it yesterday but hockey is a very humbling sport,” he says. “I’ve always said that. People don’t understand what that means. You’re high. You’re low. You’re in the middle. You have no idea what’s around the corner, so you have to treat it that way. There’s no room for arrogance. There’s no room for anything other than the fact that the sport is bigger than all its parts.”

Jack Hughes quickly found his parents waiting for him. And after hugs and a quick chat with his mom and dad, he searched out all the other parents who helped along the way for a hug and thank you.

• Like 9

On 5/2/2019 at 8:36 AM, Steadevils said:

Jack Hughes quickly found his parents waiting for him. And after hugs and a quick chat with his mom and dad, he searched out all the other parents who helped along the way for a hug and thank you.

I like everything you quoted, but this one says a lot. He seems like the kind of guy who will be grateful to be drafted and get right to work

• Like 4