Hughes or Kakko

Jerzey

Hughes or Kakko?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who should Shero pick?

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Not to be outdone...

Kakko

to be fully honest... if Hughes scored that EXACT same goal i'd be drooling and saying how fvcking amazing it was. But since it's Kakko i'm trying to convince myself that it's just okay and focus on the great pass lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neb00rs said:

None of this debate would be such a big deal if the Rangers weren't drafting second. Because they are, with Kaapo tearing up the worlds it makes me want to vomit. We can't stop them from getting somebody really good. 

yeah if Chicago or anyone else would be getting the 2nd overall it would be sooo much better

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

...Kakko looks good guys.

This might not be as clear cut as it appeared.

Yes it is.

We are overthinking things when SHERO (who is the one having the final say) has already made up his mind on whom he will pick (99% it's Hughes).

Devils can't get "cute" here with potentially letting a real Franchise Player end up with our cross-river Rivals.

No Second-Guessing.

it was acceptable with Nico 'cause Patrick wasn't really considered a Game-Breaker (neither was Nico but he is and has proven to be a better overall player).

And besides, I really don't want Kakko as a Devil. 

The Consensus #1 has been Hughes for 2 plus years and we're just going to throw that away just 'cause a player is having a hot streak?

Edited by glenwo2

3 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

to be fully honest... if Hughes scored that EXACT same goal i'd be drooling and saying how fvcking amazing it was. But since it's Kakko i'm trying to convince myself that it's just okay and focus on the great pass lol 

I tried to rationalize it as "well let's see him try that against an NHL goalie" and then I realized it was Matt Murray in net haha. Yeah both kids are looking great for sure

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, slasher72 said:

I'm going out on a limb and saying Shero takes Kakko with the first overall.

That would be quite the limb.     

I would not be happy at all that we gave up on Hughes just 'cause Kakko had a scoring hot streak, though.

I would hope that Shero is not that short-sighted.

Edited by glenwo2

1 minute ago, glenwo2 said:

Yes it is.

We are overthinking things when SHERO (who is the one having the final say) has already made up his mind on whom he will pick (99% it's Hughes).

Devils can't get "cute" here with potentially letting a real Franchise Player end up with our cross-river Rivals.

No Second-Guessing.

it was acceptable with Nico 'cause Patrick wasn't really considered a Game-Breaker (neither was Nico but he is and has proven to be a better overall player).

It would be really dumb of shero to have his mind already made up when there's still hockey to play for both ESPECIALLY when they'd finally be playing at the same level and against the same competition.

If anything this is as important for the scouts than any other moment through they scouting 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

It would be really dumb of shero to have his mind already made up when there's still hockey to play for both ESPECIALLY when they'd finally be playing at the same level and against the same competition.

If anything this is as important for the scouts than any other moment through they scouting 

Fine.  You can believe what you like.

But with Hynes there as an assistant coach (who has a front-row seat on watching Jack) and Shero doing GM duties, to go along with the relationship he has with Jack's family, the writing is on the wall from the get-go.

The Consensus #1 has been Hughes for 2 plus years and we're just going to throw that away just 'cause a player from a Finnish league is having a hot streak?   (A very good player, don't get me wrong but he's No Jack Hughes)

give me a break...

Edited by glenwo2

6 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Fine.  You can believe what you like.

But with Hynes there as an assistant coach and Shero doing GM duties, to go along with the relationship he has with Jack's family, the writing is on the wall from the get-go.

The Consensus #1 has been Hughes for 2 plus years and we're just going to throw that away just 'cause a player is having a hot streak?

yeah? Patrick wa the consensus #1 for over 2 years too and hischier was a mid first round pick earlier in the season. 

Karlsson started to rise and went from a mid-2nd to a mid-first during his draft season. Fair to say his rising wasn't done at the moment of the draft. 

It's certainly not something to ignore. I'm not saying Hughes won't go #1 or that he's not the best player but you have to analyze the players with everything you have. You don't make up your mind months before and pack up your sh!t

Edited by SterioDesign

6 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

yeah? Patrick wa the consensus #1 for over 2 years too and hischier was a mid first round pick earlier in the season. 

Karlsson started to rise and went from a mid-2nd to a mid-first during his draft season. Fair to see his rising wasn't done at the moment of the draft. 

It's certainly not something to ignore. I'm not saying Hughes won't go #1 or that he's not the best player but you have to analyze the players with everything you have. You don't make up your mind months before and pack up your sh!t

Okay then...how about you play "GM" for a moment :

After seeing both Jack and Kakko's performances thus far,  who would you take as #1?

Kakko just had a Hat trick.

Hughes had some nice ALMOST-ASSISTS which count as much as pucks hitting the goal post.

Answer?

Edited by glenwo2

1 minute ago, glenwo2 said:

Okay then...how about you play "GM" for a moment :

After seeing both Jack and Kakko's performances thus far,  who would you take as #1?

Well i'm not a scout and i havent seen enough of those 2 guys personally. I can only judge by reports and a few games so i havent seen enough. Especially not Kakko. Which is why i trust our scouts.

That being said, i'd likely pick Hughes cause i think geting a center is more important for us. But it may not be as close as we all thought. 

i certainly wouldnt say that i don't want one of those 2 guys on my team anyway. They will both be amazing

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well i'm not a scout and i havent seen enough of those 2 guys personally. I can only judge by reports and a few games so i havent seen enough. Especially not Kakko. Which is why i trust our scouts.

That being said, i'd likely pick Hughes cause i think geting a center is more important for us. But it may not be as close as we all thought. 

i certainly wouldnt say that i don't want one of those 2 guys on my team anyway. They will both be amazing

Hughes had some nice ALMOST-ASSISTS which count as much as pucks hitting the goal post.

Scoring goals, to me, isn't constant as a player CAN go on a dry spell.

Kyle Palmieri being the example.

Making plays with the puck, setting up your teammates.....?   

That's the REAL VALUE in a player like Hughes over Kakko 'cause you never lose that ability.

Edited by glenwo2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Scoring goals, to me, isn't constant as a player CAN go on a dry spell.

Kyle Palmieri being the example.

Making plays with the puck, setting up your teammates.....?   

That's the REAL VALUE in a player like Hughes over Kakko 'cause you never lose that ability.

Well you can setup your linemates with great passes all game long if they don't bury their chances your efforts were worth nothing.

If you can take over a game by yourself and get important goals. That's also important.

It's really not as black and white. 

I'm trying to tell myself that 2 of those 5 goals were empty netters but they were still nice goals as he had to put himself in a good position and all. 

Right now Kakko is carrying a team with an okay team while the US looked like sh!t with an all stars roster. 

Also i think Kakko will be better right off the bat in the NHL and have a better start simply cause he's already use to play against men. But Hughes will adjust cause he's insanely smart but an adjustement will need to be made so

5 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well you can setup your linemates with great passes all game long if they don't bury their chances your efforts were worth nothing.

If you can take over a game by yourself and get important goals. That's also important.

It's really not as black and white. 

I'm trying to tell myself that 2 of those 5 goals were empty netters but they were still nice goals as he had to put himself in a good position and all. 

Right now Kakko is carrying a team with an okay team while the US looked like sh!t with an all stars roster. 

Also i think Kakko will be better right off the bat in the NHL and have a better start simply cause he's already use to play against men. But Hughes will adjust cause he's insanely smart but an adjustement will need to be made so

And is Hughes to blame?

He can't be depended on to score goals by himself, can he?  

And I think it's unfair to say that "your efforts were worth nothing" if a great pass you make to a teammate doesn't result in a goal.   COME ON, MAN.   :glare:

It's not Hughes fault that his teammates don't convert on his great passes.   

Sometimes the Goaltender stones them.....other times, they just plain flub or miss the shot wide(I'm looking at you, JVR).

Edited by glenwo2

3 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

And is Hughes to blame?

He can't be depended on to score goals by himself, can he?  

Dude i said i'd still pick Hughes myself. But i'm still open minded and willing to give credits where its due and what Kakko did in 2 games is really good. I'm not going to be a homer and biased trying to deny that. Kaapo Kakko is currently ranked 7th all time in goals by a player 18 and younger with 5 at the IIHFWorlds and he has only played 2 games. Ferdinand Cattini (1935) holds the record with 10 goals (8 GP), Crosby had 8 in 2006 (9 GP)

Edited by SterioDesign

22 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Please read the edit, SD.    I don't feel like repeating the same thing in another post.  Thanks.

You are quiet passionate and difficult to follow (and you do repeat yourself so don't worry about editing ; ) )
I will just add that it would be tricky to judge next US game because it would be versus a way less difficult opposition. French team really suck ... I can assure you that ! 

We will take Hugues. it's almost certain but Kakko will be an insane player and i don't mind taking him first. Call me romantic, but I like goals too ; ) 

38 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Please read the edit, SD.    I don't feel like repeating the same thing in another post.  Thanks.

Why is it unfair to say that its worth nothing if a pass doesnt convert in a goal? There's quite literally 2 possible results. A) A goal b) No goal.... No goal = nothing. So a playmaker not getting any points cause nobody converted is not any better than a goal scorer who didnt score during the game. 

teams need playmakers and goal scorers. One is not better the other its just another piece of the puzzle