Hughes or Kakko

Jerzey

Hughes or Kakko?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Who should Shero pick?

10 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

im very uncomfortable seeing how good Kakko is. Goddamnit why is it the Rangers picking second

It's going to be a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't".

We pick Hughes, they get Kakko.

We pick Kakko, they get Hughes.

We're supposed to feel like Winners here for getting the #1 pick but it looks like it's the Rags who are the real winners here.       Good lord...

Edited by glenwo2

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Some of you really need to get a grip. This kind of knee jerk crap really shows why fans are fans and GM’s and scouts are GM’s and scouts.

are you talking about me? what's the prob ? i said it sucks that the Rangers are getting a really really good player. What does it have to do with GMs and scouts sh!t

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

are you talking about me? what's the prob ? i said it sucks that the Rangers are getting a really really good player. What does it have to do with GMs and scouts sh!t

It's my fault.

I've pissed off basically EVERYONE here and now even slight differences of opinion are being wrecked.    Sorry.   :(

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Not you specifically, it just seems people in general are losing their minds that Kakko looks really good and that this tournament means a whole lot (it doesn’t). Glenwo went as far to say as the Rags are in a better position in the 2 spot. I mean, I can’t abide this kind of thinking. It’s ludicrous. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MadDog2020 said:

Not you specifically, it just seems people in general are losing their minds that Kakko looks really good and that this tournament means a whole lot (it doesn’t). Glenwo went as far to say as the Rags are in a better position in the 2 spot. I mean, I can’t abide this kind of thinking. It’s ludicrous. 

Well for the sake of just having a discussion. I can see a good argument where the Rags are in a better position. Simply based on the fact that they cannot make a bad pick here and "may" end up with the best player in the long run. Is that my personal belief? no. But it's certainly not impossible. Jack still has a lot to prove. It's all projections for now while Kakko is showing us what he can do. So it's not like it's an insane statement IMO 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

What a superb display of speed and skill Kakko displayed on that goal against perennial hockey powerhouse *checks notes* Denmark.

Listen, it was a really good goal, but there was also terrible defense and goaltending on the play. And are you going to try and tell me Jack Hughes can't make that play?

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 2

In their draft years, Patrik Laine had a much more impressive U20 and World Championship showing than Auston Matthews and Kakko's this year.  In fact, Laine's World Championship showing blows away Kakko's if you consider that Laine played on a team with mostly NHLers and hence less ice time while Kakko is the go to guy on his team in that he's literally the only NHLer (come October).  Everyone who said Laine was better than Matthews based on that looks really stupid now, and Matthews is the highest paid player in the league while Laine will probably be getting a bridge deal. 

It's recency bias, no matter how much they deny that it is.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well for the sake of just having a discussion. I can see a good argument where the Rags are in a better position. Simply based on the fact that they cannot make a bad pick here and "may" end up with the best player in the long run. Is that my personal belief? no. But it's certainly not impossible. Jack still has a lot to prove. It's all projections for now while Kakko is showing us what he can do. So it's not like it's an insane statement IMO 

No, I mean the Rags are in a very good spot at #2.... but ask Jeff Gorton and the Rags’ scouts, and I’m sure they would tell you they would prefer having the first overall. 

• Like 1

Steve Kournianos posted this about Jack Hughes the other day FWIW: 

"For years, Hughes outscored his peers — elite and average groups — by a 2:1 or 3:1 margin in league and international play. 

That’s one way you assess a ceiling. Fast forward to 5-6 years when he’s in his prime, playing against those same peers and many others younger in the NHL. The average age of an NHL player is 27-29. When he’s 24, he’ll be competing against the same majority peer group with 20+ min TOI. 

Right now, the average age of an IIHF WC team is 26-27. Hughes is 18. That means he’s 8-9 years YOUNGER than the average player. And he’s playing 4th-line minutes. It’s a nonstandard condition.

The idea that Hughes — the world’s most elite teenage hockey talent the last 3-4 years — won’t adjust, improve, strengthen, and fine-tune what he already does at an elite level — is one of the dumbest —THE DUMBEST — things I have ever heard.

Remember six months ago when his shot was criticized? Did you see the U18’s? Did you hear his interviews? Clearly he saw it as an area he needed to work on, and he did."      ....

"Small sample size. Four WJC games and three WC games?

I don’t think it’s a great unknown at all. I’m looking at Hughes at 21 or 22 and I see a superstar. But that’s me.

The only reason Hughes went to Slovakia was to improve. That’s it. If you know him and his family, they don’t care about draft status. They care about hard work, discipline, integrity. His grandfather was an FDNY chief and Marine. Incredible history of selfless service. All Hughes talks about are his teammates.

That kid will never stop working to improve, which is scary to think."

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, CMONPETEYD said:

I think Shero's time is better spent on # 34 overall and what he is going to do to move up potentially.  I think picking # 1 - they have spent much less time than all of us making up their mind on who to pick.

That's my belief too, albeit not a popular one.

The belief that Shero had made up his mind the moment he found out he was drafting #1.

Devils are taking Hughes.

I am so 100% sure of it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CMONPETEYD said:

I think Shero's time is better spent on # 34 overall and what he is going to do to move up potentially.  I think picking # 1 - they have spent much less time than all of us making up their mind on who to pick.

That under 2min segment SD posted was probably the entire conversation about the 1OA. They said Jack Hughes and moved on lol. 

• Haha 1